If things are so bad why. . .

Bill Welch

has a new resin manufacturer started up this year, another is waiting in the wings, still another has rebooted with the help of Crowd Sourcing, Yarmouth started in business 2-3 years ago, and the already existing purveyors seem to keep rolling along?! None of them seem be running out of ideas for projects nor have they stopped pursuing new ways to do things to bring us freight car models and detail parts we have not seen before.

Personally I think the situation is lot more Rock 'n Roll than Country.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Personally I think the situation is lot more Rock 'n Roll than Country.
> Bill Welch

lol, Bill!

To say nothing of 3D printing! The number and variety of skillfully designed
HO scale items on Shapeways et al is just astounding! People are applying a whole
new set of skills (or recycling their old drafting and design skills) to really
explore the possibilities for prototype modeling. 3-D printing barely existed
(and was limited to professionals) when Martin Lofton got started 20+ years
ago in resin casting, which itself was a relatively new innovation. How far
away are we from having almost any detail part we need (or even complete car
models) made to our specifications?

I watched a Netflix documentary today on 3-D printing, and I wondered -- Who
will produce the first 3-D copier? I mean, you just put the car (or 1:1 part)
into the copier and out pops a perfect scale copy! :-) It's a whole new world.

Tim O'Connor

Jack Burgess

Tim wondered:

I watched a Netflix documentary today on 3-D printing, and I wondered -- Who
will produce the first 3-D copier? I mean, you just put the car (or 1:1
part) into the copier and out pops a perfect scale copy! :-) It's a whole
new world.

It is already being done Tim. A friend has a 3D scanner which will output
code to drive a CNC machine. Newer scanners will output a file which can be
3D printed. I doubt that the resolution is what we need but all of this
technology is changing fast. How about figures on your layout which
replicate yourself and friends:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2836838/worlds-first-3d-full-body-scann
ing-booth-to-create-custom-you-figurines.html

Jack Burgess

Tim wondered: