From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 3:15 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] CGW X-29

Can anyone point me to photos of the CGW X-29 before they were rebuilt in 1959?  Did they retain Creco doors before rebuilding?  I have started construction of the Des Plaines/ S Scale America kit and was looking into something other than PRR.

Tom P

Gainesville VA

Tim O'Connor

Not X-29's -- there were different groups of cars built in 1931, 1933 and 1934
and they often get confused with each other. But some kept their original doors
until retirement.

Tim O'Connor

Can anyone point me to photos of the CGW X-29 before they were rebuilt in 1959? Did they retain Creco doors before rebuilding? I have started construction of the Des Plaines/ S Scale America kit and was looking into something other than PRR.

Tom P
Gainesville VA

Schuyler Larrabee

What do you mean, Tim?  Are they not X29s?  Are the clones but not X29s?

And in any event, did the CGW call them X-29s, unlike the Pennsy, which called them X29s?

Schuyler

Not X-29's -- there were different groups of cars built in 1931, 1933 and 1934
and they often get confused with each other. But some kept their original doors
until retirement.

Tim O'Connor

>Can anyone point me to photos of the CGW X-29 before they were rebuilt in 1959? Did they retain Creco doors before rebuilding? I have started construction of the Des Plaines/ S Scale America kit and was looking into something other than PRR.
>
>Tom P
>Gainesville VA

David

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote :

And in any event, did the CGW call them X-29s, unlike the Pennsy, which called them X29s?

=============

I suspect the CGW called them, "boxcars".

Dennis Storzek

Jason Kliewer

As noted, the CGW 1923 All Steel A.R.A. cars didn't have Creco doors, they had 3 panel car builders' doors.  On line photos of the as-delivered cars outside of the link provided appear to be hard to come by.  One thing that could help is to know that any cars still in their 85000-87999 numbering would still have original doors.  The cars that were rebuilt were renumbered in to the 8000 series.

A couple modeling notes, the 85000 and 86000 series had just a single grab iron on the left side of the car and the door latch was lower than the 87000 series.  Also, as with most non-X29 cars, the side ladders are inset from the car end showing the rivet column at the ends of the car.

I'm not sure why there are so many X29 models available when a standard 1923 car would have much broader appeal.

Jason Kliewer
Colorado Springs, CO

---In STMFC@..., <chkmoundcity@...> wrote :

Can anyone point me to photos of the CGW X-29 before they were rebuilt in 1959?  Did they retain Creco doors before rebuilding?  I have started construction of the Des Plaines/ S Scale America kit and was looking into something other than PRR.

Tom P

Gainesville VA

Tim O'Connor

Jason, Red Caboose makes an ARA standard 1923 model in HO. The problem with
the CGW cars is that they are not a match for the sides. I think the CGW cars
have been done in resin in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

As noted, the CGW 1923 All Steel A.R.A. cars didn't have Creco doors, they had 3 panel car builders' doors. On line photos of the as-delivered cars outside of the link provided appear to be hard to come by. One thing that could help is to know that any cars still in their 85000-87999 numbering would still have original doors. The cars that were rebuilt were renumbered in to the 8000 series.

A couple modeling notes, the 85000 and 86000 series had just a single grab iron on the left side of the car and the door latch was lower than the 87000 series. Also, as with most non-X29 cars, the side ladders are inset from the car end showing the rivet column at the ends of the car.

I'm not sure why there are so many X29 models available when a standard 1923 car would have much broader appeal.

Jason Kliewer
Colorado Springs, CO

richramik@...

Tim:

Looked at the RC site and couldn't find them.  I wouold be interested in them for some of my own projects.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 03/30/15, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

Jason, Red Caboose makes an ARA standard 1923 model in HO. The problem with
the CGW cars is that they are not a match for the sides. I think the CGW cars
have been done in resin in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

>As noted, the CGW 1923 All Steel A.R.A. cars didn't have Creco doors, they had 3 panel car builders' doors. On line photos of the as-delivered cars outside of the link provided appear to be hard to come by. One thing that could help is to know that any cars still in their 85000-87999 numbering would still have original doors. The cars that were rebuilt were renumbered in to the 8000 series.
>
>A couple modeling notes, the 85000 and 86000 series had just a single grab iron on the left side of the car and the door latch was lower than the 87000 series. Also, as with most non-X29 cars, the side ladders are inset from the car end showing the rivet column at the ends of the car.
>
>I'm not sure why there are so many X29 models available when a standard 1923 car would have much broader appeal.
>
>Jason Kliewer
>Colorado Springs, CO

Jason Kliewer

Rich,  Red Caboose is no more.  All the HO stuff is Intermountain now so you could see what their planned releases will be.  A since IMR can cut their own tooling, maybe they can do the correct CGW door.

Tim, if you say the the RC cars are 1923 ARA cars I'll accept that.  I usually look to see if the ladder is all the way to the end of the car, if so I assume it's based off an X29 drawing.

Jason Kliewer

On 03/30/15, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]<STMFC@...> wrote:

Jason, Red Caboose makes an ARA standard 1923 model in HO. The problem with
the CGW cars is that they are not a match for the sides. I think the CGW cars
have been done in resin in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

>As noted, the CGW 1923 All Steel A.R.A. cars didn't have Creco doors, they had 3 panel car builders' doors. On line photos of the as-delivered cars outside of the link provided appear to be hard to come by. One thing that could help is to know that any cars still in their 85000-87999 numbering would still have original doors. The cars that were rebuilt were renumbered in to the 8000 series.
>
>A couple modeling notes, the 85000 and 86000 series had just a single grab iron on the left side of the car and the door latch was lower than the 87000 series. Also, as with most non-X29 cars, the side ladders are inset from the car end showing the rivet column at the ends of the car.
>
>I'm not sure why there are so many X29 models available when a standard 1923 car would have much broader appeal.
>
>Jason Kliewer
>Colorado Springs, CO

Tony Thompson

Rich,  Red Caboose is no more.  All the HO stuff is Intermountain now so you could see what their planned releases will be.  A since IMR can cut their own tooling, maybe they can do the correct CGW door.

            InterMountain has indeed taken over production and marketing from Red Caboose, but if you visit the IM site you will quickly discover that all Red Caboose models are still sold under that name.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Clark Propst

There were CGW “X29 style” cars with the original Pullman doors in MofW service for the CNW. Even into the last gray and red scheme. One may still be on the Iowa Interstate? It sat in Coralville IA for years.

Bob’s photos has several good photos of these cars in as built paint.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

richramik@...

Tony:

Poor choice of words on my part.  I knew about RC being part of IM.  Checked the website, didn't find them.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 03/30/15, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] wrote:

Rich,  Red Caboose is no more.  All the HO stuff is Intermountain now so you could see what their planned releases will be.  A since IMR can cut their own tooling, maybe they can do the correct CGW door.

            InterMountain has indeed taken over production and marketing from Red Caboose, but if you visit the IM site you will quickly discover that all Red Caboose models are still sold under that name.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Mark Drake <markstation01@...>

Kind of like arguing Chevrolet & Buick are different when they're both GM products-

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"richramik@... [STMFC]"
Date:Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Subject:Re: Re: [STMFC] Re: CGW X-29

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 3/30/2015 1:05 PM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

Rich, �Red Caboose is no more. �All the HO stuff is Intermountain now so you could see what their planned releases will be. �A since IMR can cut their own tooling, maybe they can do the correct CGW door.

� � � � � � InterMountain has indeed taken over production and marketing from Red Caboose, but if you visit the IM site you will quickly discover that all Red Caboose models are still sold under that name.

Tony Thompson�� � � � � ��Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA

Bill McClung, who is Red Caboose, is also the VP Sales (I may not have the title exactly right, but it's close enough) for Intermountain. There is at least one train show vendor here in Colorado who sells Red Caboose kits packaged in a plastic bag. I don't know if it is old inventory, or if he is able to replenish when it gets low.

Spen Kellogg

hayden_tom@...

I don't recall seeing any 1923 ARA cars from RC. In fact there is now on e-bay a listing for an RC "X-29" lettered for CGW. It even has the reversed 3 panels on the door and is numbered 86302. It looks like  a reasonable stand-in for the correct car, but it IS an X29 style with X29 rivet pattern and ladder position. Would RC produce a "bogus" 86302 if they had a 1923 ARA car available?

 Tom

Brian Carlson

If you go to www.red-caboose.com all their undec kits are listed. RC 7003 is the ARA body.
Brian Carlson

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

Spen,

Would you happen to have any contact info for this vendor?

Dick

On 3/30/2015 3:34 PM, Richard Dermody ddermody@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

Spen,

Would you happen to have any contact info for this vendor?

Dick,

I think his name is Roy Thompson and he is located in Colorado Springs. He is a regular at the TCA shows in Denver. He is constantly looking to buy up estate stuff, which he then marks up. He also does a lot of wheeling and dealing at the shows. Other than that I can't help you.

Spen

hayden_tom@...