Placarding TRIX & Tangent tank cars

Bill Welch

I have pretty much finished improving the detailing on the underframe of the TRIX insulated tank car but I am momentarily stalled while I decide if I will use the TRIX trucks or another choice. The TRIX truck requires a very narrow Reboxx axle length after aggressive reaming. Also involved is sorting out coupler height. I decided to set these decisions aside since they are frustrating me at the moment and applied Microscale Decals placards, using the diamond shape placard with the black right side and "Dangerous" on the left side? Was this the correct choice?

It occurs to me that I also want to placard the new Tangent "Stauffer" chemicals tank car as well. Should I use the same placard?

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Bill Welch wrote:

I have pretty much finished improving the detailing on the underframe of the TRIX insulated tank car but I am momentarily stalled while I decide if I will use the TRIX trucks or another choice. The TRIX truck requires a very narrow Reboxx axle length after aggressive reaming. Also involved is sorting out coupler height. I decided to set these decisions aside since they are frustrating me at the moment and applied Microscale Decals placards, using the diamond shape placard with the black right side and "Dangerous" on the left side? Was this the correct choice?

       That's an "empty" placard. If you want the car always empty, put them on all four placards. On my layout, where there is no reversing loop and cars never get turned around unless physically rotated, I put an empty placard on one side and an appropriate load placard on the other. I have discussed placards on my blog to some extent, such as these posts:

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Bill the loaded chlorine tank cars I have photos for show solid white
placards with lettering on them but I can't make out the lettering -- it's
relatively small type. Probably says something like "DANGEROUS blah blah"

The best acid tank car placard I've seen is in that photo of STAX 17028
that you should have... All white with red DANGEROUS and some smaller print.

Tim O'Connor

I have pretty much finished improving the detailing on the underframe of the TRIX insulated tank car but I am momentarily stalled while I decide if I will use the TRIX trucks or another choice. The TRIX truck requires a very narrow Reboxx axle length after aggressive reaming. Also involved is sorting out coupler height. I decided to set these decisions aside since they are frustrating me at the moment and applied Microscale Decals placards, using the diamond shape placard with the black right side and "Dangerous" on the left side? Was this the correct choice?

It occurs to me that I also want to placard the new Tangent "Stauffer" chemicals tank car as well. Should I use the same placard?

Bill Welch

mwbauers

i believe this is the current one…

attachment tried...

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Mar 28, 2015, at 9:34 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bill the loaded chlorine tank cars I have photos for show solid white
placards with lettering on them but I can't make out the lettering -- it's
relatively small type. Probably says something like "DANGEROUS blah blah"

The best acid tank car placard I've seen is in that photo of STAX 17028
that you should have... All white with red DANGEROUS and some smaller print.

Tim O'Connor

>I have pretty much finished improving the detailing on the underframe of the TRIX insulated tank car but I am momentarily stalled while I decide if I will use the TRIX trucks or another choice. The TRIX truck requires a very narrow Reboxx axle length after aggressive reaming. Also involved is sorting out coupler height. I decided to set these decisions aside since they are frustrating me at the moment and applied Microscale Decals placards, using the diamond shape placard with the black right side and "Dangerous" on the left side? Was this the correct choice?
>
>It occurs to me that I also want to placard the new Tangent "Stauffer" chemicals tank car as well. Should I use the same placard?
>
>Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Mike Bauers wrote:

    Bill Welch probably wants a pre-1960 placard. I am not sure whether chlorine then was placarded "poisonous" but probably so.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Dave Parker

Just wanted to say that I have found Tony's blogs to be extremely valuable in fabricating my own tank car safety placards.  Regarding the full versus empty decision, I have taken Tony's approach one step further by working up paper placards that can be readily swapped out depending on the tank's contents.  This involves a laser printer, some small disc magnets, some very fine iron powder, and Krylon.  If interested, contact me off-list, and I will send you a short summary of the specifics.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Bill Welch

Sounds like a great article for MRH!