ACL Photos

John Sykes III

Now that I mentioned that I am doing an ACL roster, I must note that I am having trouble locating 1950's era freight car photos (especially early '50s).  If anyone can point me to good source other than Fallen Flags or RR Picture Archives, please advise.  Also not interested in buying photos, but want sources that are accessible to all interested individuals (e.g., online or books).

I do have diagrams from that era, so do have detailed construction info, etc. but need photo documentation.

-- John

Benjamin Hom

John Sykes asked:
"Now that I mentioned that I am doing an ACL roster, I must note that I am having trouble locating 1950's era freight car photos (especially early '50s). If anyone can point me to good source other than Fallen Flags or RR Picture Archives, please advise. Also not interested in buying photos, but want sources that are accessible to all interested individuals (e.g., online or books)."
Don't overlook Bob Liljestrand's (of Bob's Photo) compilation books. These are 48-page paperbacks of photos from his collection and retail between $15-20, which is a bargain compared to what the individual prints would cost. They're available from him at the shows he attends, and pop up on the secondary market from time to time. The ACL book came out in 2004.

Ben Hom

John Sykes III

Ben:

What are the vintage of the photos in that book?

Reason I ask is that the Fallen Flags and RR Picture Archive photos were mainly cars built in the '60s or repainted in that era.  I am having trouble locating cars in their 1950s paint & lettering scheme (e.g., the purple and silver diesel era).

-- John

Benjamin Hom

John Sykes asked:
"What are the vintage of the photos in that book?

Reason I ask is that the Fallen Flags and RR Picture Archive photos were mainly cars built in the '60s or repainted in that era. I am having trouble locating cars in their 1950s paint & lettering scheme (e.g., the purple and silver diesel era)."

Earliest photo is a June 1941 builder's photo of a Class O-22 automobile boxcar; latest photos are dated 1969, with the bulk of the photos taken between 1955-1959. The retail price on my copy is $18.

Ben Hom