Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 10:35 AM
Subject: [STMFC] URTX refrigerator car

Group,

​Perhaps four or five years ago, I received a JPEG which someone on the list, possibly the late Richard Fredrickson, sent me.  The car in question is URTX 97136 leased to the Chicago Great Western. The 3/4 shot does not reveal whether the car had a metal or wood roof.  Does anyone have information this car -- and presumably others in the same series?

Tom Baker

No virus found in this message.

Aley, Jeff A

Yes.

I believe it was John Nehrich who published a chart or table of that info in an old issue of MR.  Try March 1986 and see if that article of his includes the info you seek.

Regards,

-Jeff

Speaking of wood and metal,has anyone  compiled the ratio  of wood vs steel cars by decade? Armand Premo

​Perhaps four or five years ago, I received a JPEG which someone on the list, possibly the late Richard Fredrickson, sent me.  The car in question is URTX 97136 leased to the Chicago Great Western. The 3/4 shot does not reveal whether the car had a metal or wood roof.  Does anyone have information this car -- and presumably others in the same series?

Tom Baker

No virus found in this message.

Douglas Harding

Tom I have a photo of that car, URTX 97136 lettered for the CGW, just as you describe. It appears to have a wood roof, can’t really tell. The blt date is 5-23. The ends are wood, painted a dark color (FCR?), which based on Dennis’s comments, says the car has not been rebuilt and thus has the “wood roof”.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

ed_mines

Compiling that data would be a daunting task and the ratio would change significantly each year after WWII.

I use the bound NMRA ORER as a guide and there were plenty of 36 ft. wood side box cars listed in 1943. I suspect most of these cars were retired as soon as  new cars were delivered.

Ed Mines

Tony Thompson

​Perhaps four or five years ago, I received a JPEG which someone on the list, possibly the late Richard Fredrickson, sent me.

    I assume the person meant is Richard Hendrickson.

Tony Thompson

Armand Premo

Perhaps by decades would simplify the data.Armand Premo

Compiling that data would be a daunting task and the ratio would change significantly each year after WWII.

I use the bound NMRA ORER as a guide and there were plenty of 36 ft. wood side box cars listed in 1943. I suspect most of these cars were retired as soon as  new cars were delivered.

Ed Mines

No virus found in this message.

Dennis Storzek

Gene Green's reefer book has a photo of URTX 5093 with the world's smallest CGW "Lucky Strike" herald, must only be 18" in diameter, last reweigh 1-52, definitely wood roof and ends, painted FCR. The "bib" under the door is black.

Likewise URTX 5861 with a Soo Line herald, and URTX 4975 with the older M&StL herald. Several other cars assigned to the Soo and Louie with steel ends and roof painted black, but no other CGW pix. One other thing that seems consistent is the cars with steel ends and roof have the General American triangle stenciled to the left of the door, but the line work on this stencil is so thin that it's harder to see than the type of roof.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

The photo I have shows a freshly painted car in 1936. It does not look like
a wood roof to me. Outside metal roofs were sheet metal over wood were they not?

Tim O'

Tom I have a photo of that car, URTX 97136 lettered for the CGW, just as you describe. It appears to have a wood roof, can�t really tell. The blt date is 5-23. The ends are wood, painted a dark color (FCR?), which based on Dennis�s comments, says the car has not been rebuilt and thus has the �wood roof�.

Doug Harding

Douglas Harding

Tim, the car does look freshly painted in the image I have. I can't read the
date at the far end of the car, indicating when it was weighed, but it might
be 36. Looks to be the early 36" CGW herald on the right side of the car,
above the words "ventilated refrigerator". And there are four lines of
lettering on the end of the car centered above the coupler.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

The photo I have shows a freshly painted car in 1936. It does not look like
a wood roof to me. Outside metal roofs were sheet metal over wood were they
not?

Tim O'

Tom I have a photo of that car, URTX 97136 lettered for the CGW, just as
you describe. It appears to have a wood roof, cant really tell. The blt
date is 5-23. The ends are wood, painted a dark color (FCR?), which based on
Denniss comments, says the car has not been rebuilt and thus has the wood
roof.

Doug Harding

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Thomas Baker

Tim and Doug,

Thanks so much for your information. I, too, think the roof is wood but wanted a more professional opinion than just my suspicions. The color on the ends IS hard to determine. For that matter, the color of the sides is not completely certain. Almost all authorities say a tone of orange for the sides and box car red for the roof and ends. The leased refrigerator cars depicted in Gene Green's book lend credence to this idea: The URTX cars leased to the Soo, CGW, and M&StL have sides that are a tone of orange with roof and ends box car red or red oxide. I am guessing the colors changed at some point in the URTX shops.

When I rode the CGW from Minneapolis to Central Iowa in 1955, our passenger train picked up a freight car which was coupled to the ex-C&O combine. This irritated me because it prevented viewing the receding track as the CGW train "rocketed" down the track. Whatever the car was, its ends were clearly black and its reporting marks clearly URTX. The railroad set the car out in Sumner, Iowa, I believe. The engineer pulled past the depot, backed up, and the brakeman uncoupled the car on what might have been a house track. Then the engineer pulled ahead, backed up to the depot, stopping briefly. I was quite surprised to see a car with yellow sides, URTX reporting marks of course, and a clearly visible Corn Belt Route medallion. By that time, most refrigerator cars leased to the CGW probably did have orange sides, but possibly this one had not gotten back to the URTX shops in Milwaukee and still had the colors of an earlier period: black roof and ends, yellow sides. Wish I had photographed it.

Tom Baker

The photo I have shows a freshly painted car in 1936. It does not look like
a wood roof to me. Outside metal roofs were sheet metal over wood were they
not?

Tim O'

Tom I have a photo of that car, URTX 97136 lettered for the CGW, just as
you describe. It appears to have a wood roof, cant really tell. The blt
date is 5-23. The ends are wood, painted a dark color (FCR?), which based on
Denniss comments, says the car has not been rebuilt and thus has the wood
roof.

Doug Harding

Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>