PRR X29 and B&O M-26 roofs

Bill Welch

Thanks Elden & Ben

I knew the re-building program was the ultimate solution for the X29 but this started a couple of decades+ after they were built and the B&O apparently never did anything for their M-26. It is just curious to me.

Bill Welch

Clark Propst

Frustrated with another project I decided to build my PMHS commissioned Red Caboose model. It’s been forever since I’ve built one of those X29 cars. I was very impressed with the engineering of the kit. Went together much better than most plastic kits and with better detailjk.
The PMHS had an amended instruction page added. I noticed from photos in RP Cyc 18 they missed the route card placard on the door and the pulling loops in the sill.
I haven’t glued the Accurail Hutchins roof on yet. I’m waiting to stop at a hobby shop in St Paul this weekend to pick up more Kadee running boards. I’ll paint them together before installing.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst wrote:
"Frustrated with another project I decided to build my PMHS commissioned Red Caboose model. It’s been forever since I’ve built one of those X29 cars. I was very impressed with the engineering of the kit. Went together much better than most plastic kits and with better detailing. The PMHS had an amended instruction page added. I noticed from photos in RP Cyc 18 they missed the route card placard on the door and the pulling loops in the sill."

Careful - you have more issues than a missing route card placard and towing loops. Do not depend on the kit instructions regarding brake layout - ensure you verify the prototype brake layout (including the retainer line on the B end) and modify as necessary. The AB brake layout in the Red Caboose instructions is correct ONLY for PRR Dreadnaught end cars built new with AB brakes and is not correct for Class X29 boxcars retrofitted with AB brakes or any ARA-design cars built new. The transverse-mounted reservoir is a key spotting feature and is an obvious indicator that you got it wrong on the model, so a little care here is in order.

Ben Hom