Source for small tungsten weights

Andy Carlson <midcenturyandy@...>

Let us try this again.......

A company which specializes in pinewood derby racing cars, Maximum Velocity, has a sale currently for Tungsten weights. Tungsten, though expensive, is very dense (almost twice the density of Lead and similar to uranium and Gold). It is really useful in locomotives and open freight cars, such as flats and gondolas.

This firm is running special prices. Available at <www.maximumvelocity.com/inventory.htm>

You can get an extra discount, beyond the clearance discount, by typing in "SPRING15SALE" in the appropriate box.

I have purchased many weights in different sizes and shapes. I got quick shipping, so I can recommend this firm to viewers of this list.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Jack Mullen

Actually, the link should be http://www.maximum-velocity.com/inventory.htm

Jack Mullen

whose Pinewood Derby experience was before high-tech aftermarket products. (Or any aftermarket, actually)

Andy Harman

At 09:35 PM 5/5/2015 -0700, you wrote:

whose Pinewood Derby experience was before high-tech aftermarket products. (Or any aftermarket, actually)
My brother entered a Pinewood Derby long long ago... I had several brilliant ideas, including Hot Wheels style sprung axles, but turns out all of my ideas were illegal anyway. At the actual event several really nice looking cars were disqualified for being overweight. The car that won best appearance had some low-slinging parts that prevented it from even rolling down the ramp.

Is tungsten malleable like lead, gold etc? I've never worked with it. I can see some places where I could use it, but only if I could easily cut and shape it. Normally I use sheet lead, except in situations where every cubic millimeter counts - then I use Cerrobend, which is gadawful expensive but when you can pour liquid metal into plastic without melting the plastic, it's worth it.

Andy

Tim O'Connor

Andy

It's http://www.maximum-velocity.com/inventory.htm#tungsten

They certainly overcharge for shipping though ! A small FLAT RATE box
across the USA is $6 but they charge by weight -- 3 lbs (which would easily
fit in the small box) is $20 !

This is the least expensive tungsten weight -- good for applications where
I guess one would normally use lead shot. But even at the discounted price
with shipping it's over $20 a pound -- over 10 times as much as lead shot.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pics/15046.jpg

Tim O'

A company which specializes in pinewood derby racing cars, Maximum Velocity, has a sale currently for Tungsten weights. Tungsten, though expensive, is very dense (almost twice the density of Lead and similar to uranium and Gold). It is really useful in locomotives and open freight cars, such as flats and gondolas.

This firm is running special prices. You can get an extra discount, beyond the clearance discount, by typing in "SPRING15SALE" in the appropriate box.

I have purchased many weights in different sizes and shapes. I got quick shipping, so I can recommend this firm to viewers of this list.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Hi Guys,

I recently learned of a product called Liquid Gravity by a company called Deluxe Materials out of the UK.

My son has a hobby shop and he ordered it through Horizon.

It consists of thousands of approx .030 balls of non toxic material that looks and weighs like lead.

It is NOT a liquid (despite the name).

Same idea as the pourable lead balls that A-Line/PPW provide, but much smaller spheres.

The manufacturer suggests pouring it into the cavity then securing it with glue.

They obviously recommend their own glues, but I’m sure any white glue or CA would work.

I haven’t used it yet, but it looks like exactly what I want to fill the spines of some intermodal spine cars that given the era of this group will be manufactured in about 20 years or so.

Cheers

Dave North

Michael Watnoski

Greetings,

For weighting materials, don't forget about McMaster-Carr. They have the low melting point metals for less than $50 for a pound and a half ingot. They are also a source for sheet lead, brass, screen, and a huge selection of hardware.

Michael

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <freestatesystems1@...> wrote :

Greetings,

For weighting materials, don't forget about
McMaster-Carr. They have the low melting point
metals for less than $50 for a pound and a half
ingot. They are also a source for sheet lead,
brass, screen, and a huge selection of hardware.

Michael
============

Don't forget my favorite, lead wool, like steel wool, but lead. It's very malleable and bits can be crammed into all sorts of nooks and crannies.

Dennis Storzek

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 5/5/2015 11:10 PM, Andy Harman gsgondola@... [STMFC] wrote:
Is tungsten malleable like lead, gold etc?  I've never worked with it.  I
can see some places where I could use it, but only if I could easily cut
and shape it
    From what I read it's not malleable.  But I went to the site and they had little rivets for sale with discount for .90 an ounce.   So thought I'd order a pound or so until I found out it would cost as much as the material (or more) to mail it so gave up right there.  If you are going to buy $80 or more (free shipping) it's a good deal.
    Maybe off list a few of us could get together and go for the free shipping, if interested.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Andy – Thanks.  I just purchased 18 oz. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 10:04 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Source for small tungsten weights

Let us try this again.......

A company which specializes in pinewood derby racing cars, Maximum Velocity, has a sale currently for Tungsten weights. Tungsten, though expensive, is very dense (almost twice the density of Lead and similar to uranium and Gold). It is really useful in locomotives and open freight cars, such as flats and gondolas.

This firm is running special prices. Available at <www.maximumvelocity.com/inventory.htm>

You can get an extra discount, beyond the clearance discount, by typing in "SPRING15SALE" in the appropriate box.

I have purchased many weights in different sizes and shapes. I got quick shipping, so I can recommend this firm to viewers of this list.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Just got a call from Maximum Velocity informing me that the maximum order at that price is 5 oz.  I cancelled my order. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Source for small tungsten weights

Andy – Thanks.  I just purchased 18 oz. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 10:04 PM

On 5/6/2015 11:49 AM, 'Al and Patricia Westerfield' westerfieldalfred@... [STMFC] wrote:

Just got a call from Maximum Velocity informing me that the maximum order at that price is 5 oz.  I cancelled my order. – Al Westerfield

    Interesting that the site doesn't say that.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Andy Harman

That's a strange restriction.  Usually the more you buy the cheaper it gets.  Or at least stats the same.  It it precious enough that 18 ounces is considered too much for one person to possess?

Maybe I should be moving my IRA into
Tungsten futures.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On May 6, 2015, at 3:59 PM, "Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

On 5/6/2015 11:49 AM, 'Al and Patricia Westerfield' westerfieldalfred@... [STMFC] wrote:

Just got a call from Maximum Velocity informing me that the maximum order at that price is 5 oz.  I cancelled my order. – Al Westerfield

    Interesting that the site doesn't say that.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Carl Gustafson

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 02:10:55AM -0400, Andy Harman gsgondola@gp30.com [STMFC] wrote:
Is tungsten malleable like lead, gold etc? I've never worked with it. I
Tungsten is a very hard, very difficult to work metal. It also has an extremely high melting point, so
you won't be melting and casting it at home, either.

On the plus side, as was mentioned in an earlier post, it's about twice the density of lead.

The 1/8 ounce disks this outfit is selling are 3/8" diameter, and 1/8" thick, so you could easily slip
them into lots of little spaces. Just expensive, however.

Carl Gustafson

A&Y Dave in MD

Cube, putty, and flat tungsten weights can be found at Walmart and on eBay with cheaper shipping. Do a google search, avoid fishing related products, and you'll find lots of options with reasonable shipping.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 1:27 PM

Andy – Thanks.  I just purchased 18 oz. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 10:04 PM

Let us try this again.......

A company which specializes in pinewood derby racing cars, Maximum Velocity, has a sale currently for Tungsten weights. Tungsten, though expensive, is very dense (almost twice the density of Lead and similar to uranium and Gold). It is really useful in locomotives and open freight cars, such as flats and gondolas.

This firm is running special prices. Available at <www.maximumvelocity.com/inventory.htm>

You can get an extra discount, beyond the clearance discount, by typing in "SPRING15SALE" in the appropriate box.

I have purchased many weights in different sizes and shapes. I got quick shipping, so I can recommend this firm to viewers of this list.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I ordered some of these tungsten weights a few days ago - 1/4" cubes and 3/16" cubes. They arrived today.

Thye look like they will be an excellent way to add weight to the interior of N scale steam locomotive boilers, allowing them to pull more N scale steam era freight cars...

Overall, I can recommend the vendor, excellent service.

  -  Claus Schlund

whose Pinewood Derby experience was before high-tech aftermarket products. (Or any aftermarket, actually)