small tungsten weights

Allen Rueter

I see there is also tungsten shot , and foil,

Allen Rueter

Fred_Swa@...

Scott H. Haycock

Maybe it's just me, but this subject seems to be way over-thought. I suspect you could walk into any tire store and buy enough wheel weights, for a few dollars, to would last quite a while for our use. A vise with a small anvil, a ball peen hammer, and a hack saw, should solve the modification of said weights for our hobby needs. After all, this list is populated primarily by model builders, not model buyers.

Scott Haycock

Eric Hansmann

A few months ago I went searching for stick-on weight at auto parts stores and came up empty handed after visiting eight stores. These are not as common as they once were.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2015 2:23 AM
To: Steam Era Freight Cars
Subject: Re: [STMFC] small tungsten weights

Maybe it's just me, but this subject seems to be way over-thought. I suspect you could walk into any tire store and buy enough wheel weights, for a few dollars, to would last quite a while for our use. A vise with a small anvil, a ball peen hammer, and a hack saw, should solve the modification of said weights for our hobby needs. After all, this list is populated primarily by model builders, not model buyers.

Scott Haycock

John F. Cizmar

Try Summit or Jegs; both are online.
John Cizmar 

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:27 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] small tungsten weights

A few months ago I went searching for stick-on weight at auto parts stores and came up empty handed after visiting eight stores. These are not as common as they once were.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Scott Haycock

mwbauers

Guys,

Instead consider using tungsten powder.

It's about $25 for four oz from pro golf shops and $75 for a full pound from industrial sources.

Here's one link... 

I'll remind you that ten pounds of ingot lead will cost $10-$19 at full service hardware stores.

Ages ago I weighted down plastic HO Athearn classic passenger cars by filling the open top equipment void of the floor casting with lead pellets secured with a pouring of ordinary white glue. It holds up even today, done in the early '70's.

I might use lead shot or tungsten powder in the same location today.

You don't need solid pellet tungsten for weight, powder and glue or other hardening binder will work just fine.

Same with lead......

The tungsten electrodes look interesting, but they may be tungsten coated on a reactive rod suitable for the welding process and thus lighter than the same volume of lead.

Mike Bauers

On May 7, 2015, at 3:23 AM, "'Scott H. Haycock ' shhaycock@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Scott Haycock

mwbauers

Seen a couple of days ago at the local Harbor Freight store and the regional NAPA car parts chain is known to sell it in a good sized box that would be a modelers lifetime supply. $23 for a box of them. I can't find a weight but similar sources state a 10 pound box.

Mike Bauers

On May 7, 2015, at 8:27 AM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Scott Haycock

My problem is hiding weights in a subway car that has a complete interior.  Currently I can get my 50’ car up to 3.5 oz. with lead shot in the clerestory and in the void under the bench seats.  Of course the car is a bit top heavy.  With the density of tungsten I can get all the weight below the seats, solving the problem.  But this area is really cramped.  Those tiny tungsten rivets would have been perfect but not at list price.  I have 9 cars to weight. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2015 3:23 AM

Scott Haycock

Douglas Harding

Eric, try your tire dealer. I ordered my via the local Goodyear Store. They just put them on the next truck coming from the warehouse, so I didn’t have to pay shipping charges. Had to a wait a week or two, but well worth it. Got a box of ½ oz and a box of ¼ oz stick on weights. Enough to weigh an entire fleet of cars.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

Mike, that stuff looks very promising! It's too bad they feel that
they have to gouge you on shipping however -- charging 100% over the
USPS medium flat rate. And considering the density of tungsten, I do
suspect that 9 lbs would fit easily into the small flat rate box -- $6
anywhere in the USA.

Anyone want to split an order 4 ways? (Reply ** OFF LIST **)

Here's a crazy idea -- I wonder if that 325 mesh stuff could be used
in a grit spray gun??

Tim O'Connor

npin53

Alumilite sells tunsten powder in .5 lb cans for $20.  Not sure how this compares to the other sources.

Aaron Gjermundson

tungsten