From: 'Gatwood, Elden SAW' elden.j.gatwood@... [STMFC] [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, May 7, 2015 3:23 pm
Subject: [STMFC] So, did we ever aagree on an answer on this tank car? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats:
NONE

http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?rgn1=ic_all&xc=1&g=imls&sort=dc_da&c=hpicasc&c=hpicchatham&c=hpiccma&c=hpiccmnh&c=hpichswp&c=hpicmonroeville&c=hpicnpl&c=hpicoakmont&c=hpicphlf&c=hpicpitcairn&c=hpicpointpark&c=hpicpso&c=hpicrsc&c=hpicusc&back=back1431026393&q1=pennsylvania+railroad&chaperone=S-HPICHSWP-X-MSP57.B007.F03.I04+HJHZ0850.TIF&ox=481&oy=494&lastres=1&res=0&width=735&height=602&maxw=2941&maxh=2408&subview=getsid&view=entry&viewid=HJHZ0850.TIF&entryid=x-msp57.b007.f03.i04&cc=hpichswp&quality=m800&resnum=3100&evl=full-image&image.x=254&image.y=208

HJ
Heinz plant, flood of 1964, in front of vinegar processing plant...

Did they
use insulated 103's like this for things that went into vinegar production?
Heinz did, and still does, make malt vinegar, and white vinegar, to name
two.

I would love to hear what you think?

Elden
Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats:
NONE

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Gatwood, Elden
SAW"
<Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual
Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

    (Yahoo! ID required)

change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send
an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo
Groups is subject to:

Charles Peck

Below the lettering of "paints   chemicals"  it says "durkee famous foods".  At one point Durkee
was part of Glidden  and Durkee was also a processor of soy beans.  Contents could have been
edible oils to Heinz or the car could have been at Heinz to receive some savory ingredient for
one of the Durkee products.  Either way some of us eat a lot of stuff that could be called chemicals.
I would love to find a photo of one of the Durkee tank cars with the Durkees spelled out large on
the car side.
And Durkees did have its own mark DFFX.
Chuck Peck in sunny Florida

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM, 'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Elden the car lettering says “paints - chemicals” and has what looks to be a Dupont logo on the left side. I seriously doubt that Heinz would be shipping vinegar in a chemical car. Perhaps the car was delivering a cleaning agent of some sort, or it had simply been off spotted.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

Perfectly ordinary 103's were used for vinegar transport, so why not
an insulated 103? I don't think very much can be gleaned from a blurry
photo of a more or less generic tank car other than the owner advertised
paints, chemicals and food products. If it really is a Dupont tank car
as some one said, maybe it is used to transport acetic acid which is
basically vinegar without the water component but is a weak acid and
doesn't require the same handling as hydrochloric or sulfuric acids.

Tim O'Connor

HJ Heinz plant, flood of 1964, in front of vinegar processing plant...

Did they use insulated 103's like this for things that went into vinegar production? Heinz did, and still does, make malt vinegar, and white vinegar, to name two.

I would love to hear what you think?

Elden Gatwood

Douglas Harding

Elden the car lettering says “paints - chemicals” and has what looks to be a Dupont logo on the left side. I seriously doubt that Heinz would be shipping vinegar in a chemical car. Perhaps the car was delivering a cleaning agent of some sort, or it had simply been off spotted.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Gatwood, Elden J SAD