State of Maine blue white and red

Bud Rindfleisch

I hope this question isn't too generalized as I realize not all factory colors would be the exact same match for the prototype, does anyone have suggestions for a model paint match for the blue, white, and red on the BAR/NH "State of Maine" boxcars? I have a couple that came factory painted but the side ladders are black and should match the stripes. Even a ballpark match would be better than black!
     Bud Rindfleisch

Benjamin Hom

Bud Rindfleisch asked:
"I hope this question isn't too generalized as I realize not all factory colors would be the exact same match for the prototype, does anyone have suggestions for a model paint match for the blue, white, and red on the BAR/NH "State of Maine" boxcars? I have a couple that came factory painted but the side ladders are black and should match the stripes. Even a ballpark match would be better than black!"

Hard to give you a match when you don't give us the kits/models you want to match.  Otherwise, you're forcing us to play "find me another rock."

Ben Hom

mwbauers

May I presume that there are no hobby shops with racks of paint that you can get to?

While its an increasingly out-dated practice; I used to do just that to eyeball match factory model paint.

Normally I would get as close as possible to the true color and get a matching brand white and/or a black as well to lighten or darken the chosen quite close colors.

Later, tinting the paint just a bit with the black or the white would get me spot-on to the needed color.

Since you will be repainting black ladders, may I suggest you first paint them with a primer like color of light gray or off-white? Your touch up paint will then more easily match the existing sides.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 13, 2015, at 7:27 AM, BlackDiamondRR@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I hope this question isn't too generalized as I realize not all factory colors would be the exact same match for the prototype, does anyone have suggestions for a model paint match for the blue, white, and red on the BAR/NH "State of Maine" boxcars? I have a couple that came factory painted but the side ladders are black and should match the stripes. Even a ballpark match would be better than black!
     Bud Rindfleisch

mwbauers

May I suggest you take a clear daylight-level lighting, but not flood lighted, digital picture of your model? Then port the image into your computer and use a color sampling program on it to next match your paint from this website or it’s download……

http://www.paint4models.com

“ The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart “

You can Google for a color sampling program, they are free. I use one that is bundled with my Not-Windows-OS, but have looked and downloaded before for the free Windows based ones.

You will find the most close colors with this method.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 13, 2015, at 11:15 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@att.net [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Bud Rindfleisch asked:
"I hope this question isn't too generalized as I realize not all factory colors would be the exact same match for the prototype, does anyone have suggestions for a model paint match for the blue, white, and red on the BAR/NH "State of Maine" boxcars? I have a couple that came factory painted but the side ladders are black and should match the stripes. Even a ballpark match would be better than black!"

Hard to give you a match when you don't give us the kits/models you want to match. Otherwise, you're forcing us to play "find me another rock."

Ben Hom

mwbauers

Here is another model paint sampling data site..

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 13, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Mike Bauers wrote:

May I suggest you take a clear daylight-level lighting, but not flood lighted, digital picture of your model? Then port the image into your computer and use a color sampling program on it to next match your paint from this website or it’s download……

http://www.paint4models.com

“ The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart “

You can Google for a color sampling program, they are free. I use one that is bundled with my Not-Windows-OS, but have looked and downloaded before for the free Windows based ones.

You will find the most close colors with this method.

Mark Drake <markstation01@...>

It's red, white and blue...let's not get to involved in this

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Mike Bauers mwbauers55@... [STMFC]"
Date:Wed, May 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Subject:Re: [STMFC] State of Maine blue white and red

Here is another model paint sampling data site..

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 13, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Mike Bauers wrote:

May I suggest you take a clear daylight-level lighting, but not flood lighted, digital picture of your model? Then port the image into your computer and use a color sampling program on it to next match your paint from this website or it’s download……

http://www.paint4models.com

“ The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart “

You can Google for a color sampling program, they are free. I use one that is bundled with my Not-Windows-OS, but have looked and downloaded before for the free Windows based ones.

You will find the most close colors with this method.

mwbauers

Think ahead………

While this is not a complicated paint issue, the same tools can be used on other more complex situations.

Now you know where to make use of the method.

Even on this one.. look at the many blues offered by the model paint folks. Which blue do you need for this model?

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

From:"Mike Bauers

Here is another model paint sampling data site..

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 13, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Mike Bauers wrote:

May I suggest you take a clear daylight-level lighting, but not flood lighted, digital picture of your model? Then port the image into your computer and use a color sampling program on it to next match your paint from this website or it’s download……

http://www.paint4models.com

“ The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart “

You can Google for a color sampling program, they are free. I use one that is bundled with my Not-Windows-OS, but have looked and downloaded before for the free Windows based ones.

You will find the most close colors with this method.

Bud Rindfleisch

Ben,
    The models in question are S scale, American Models 40' plug door and DesPlaines Hobbies 50' single sliding door. My question, though was more "what have others used in the way of off the rack colors to come up with the blue, white and red (as seen from top to bottom).
   I've already done the paint rack color chip attempt unsuccessfully. I was hoping someone had a match.
      Bud Rindfleisch

NHJJ4@...

  I don't know if this has come up or not but the NH cars had asphaltum  mixed in the blue paint on the ends and roof so those are a much darker color than the blue on the side.

  Jim Evans

In a message dated 5/13/2015 9:19:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

[...]

Greg Martin

Bud,

Try to keep it simple because I am not sure you'll ever get two guys in the same space (including cyber space) to agree on color.

If I were doing a New Haven or Bangor and Aroostook  State of Maine car (say the F&C kit) I would choose TESTOR (in the ¼oz. bottles) Gloss Red, Gloss White and Dark Blue. I may be tempted to darken the blues so I would test it first. I think you will come out okay.

I use solvent based paints so YMMV. You'll find that this series of paints is even flowing and dries hard like an enamel should, so it will take a beating.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 5/13/2015 8:50:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

I hope this question isn't too generalized as I realize not all factory colors would be the exact same match for the prototype, does anyone have suggestions for a model paint match for the blue, white, and red on the BAR/NH "State of Maine" boxcars? I have a couple that came factory painted but the side ladders are black and should match the stripes. Even a ballpark match would be better than black!
     Bud Rindfleisch

mwbauers

if you go for a model RR paint.........

Scalecoat 1 or 2 ...

D&H Blue, S F Blue, B&O Royal Blue, Conrail Blue, C&O Blue, .... Even, dare I say it??? .... Boston & Maine Blue

Best to ya...
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi, USA

On May 13, 2015, at 11:13 PM, tgregmrtn wrote:

Bud,

Try to keep it simple because I am not sure you'll ever get two guys in the same space (including cyber space) to agree on color.

If I were doing a New Haven or Bangor and Aroostook State of Maine car (say the F&C kit) I would choose TESTOR (in the ¼oz. bottles) Gloss Red, Gloss White and Dark Blue. I may be tempted to darken the blues so I would test it first. I think you will come out okay.

I use solvent based paints so YMMV. You'll find that this series of paints is even flowing and dries hard like an enamel should, so it will take a beating.

Greg Martin

Tim O'Connor

I think I'll stick with George Bishop's colors ...

AP- 1 Stencil White
AP- 4 BAR Blue
AP-14 NH Socony Red (aka SP Daylight Red, Rock Island Red, ATSF Warbonnet Red, ...)

Tim O'

if you go for a model RR paint.........

Scalecoat 1 or 2 ...

D&H Blue, S F Blue, B&O Royal Blue, Conrail Blue, C&O Blue, .... Even, dare I say it??? .... Boston & Maine Blue

Best to ya...
Mike Bauers

mwbauers

Here's something to consider.......

I was looking at 'our' 4-truck, depressed center flatcars earlier at work. 'PHMX' series. Ten years or less ago they were bright TrailerTrain like yellows.

Now they are faded, very chalky looking, almost a pale yellow-flesh color.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3822/9260237180_e38b1194c4_z.jpg

http://condrenrails.com/Recent-Trains/images-93/PHMX-4411-Tulsa-OK-9-10-11-2.jpg

http://condrenrails.com/Recent-Trains/images-93/PHMX-4411-Tulsa-OK-9-10-11-1.jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2160616

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3056451

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3056418

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3418520

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1155497

Are you going to go for brand new, or a car with a bit of experience in its appearance? ........ or how about one new one and one with more time on it?

Best to ya...
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi, USA

On May 14, 2015, at 2:49 AM, Mike Bauers wrote:

Here's something to consider.......

I was looking at 'our' 4-truck, depressed center flatcars earlier at work. 'PHMX' series. Ten years or less ago they were bright TrailerTrain like yellows.

Now they are faded, very chalky looking, almost a pale yellow-flesh color.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3822/9260237180_e38b1194c4_z.jpg

http://condrenrails.com/Recent-Trains/images-93/PHMX-4411-Tulsa-OK-9-10-11-2.jpg

http://condrenrails.com/Recent-Trains/images-93/PHMX-4411-Tulsa-OK-9-10-11-1.jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2160616

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3056451

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3056418

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3418520

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1155497

Are you going to go for brand new, or a car with a bit of experience in its appearance? ........ or how about one new one and one with more time on it?

On May 14, 2015, at 1:59 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> I think I'll stick with George Bishop's colors ...
>
> AP- 1 Stencil White
> AP- 4 BAR Blue
> AP-14 NH Socony Red (aka SP Daylight Red, Rock Island Red, ATSF Warbonnet Red, ...)
>
> Tim O'
>
> >if you go for a model RR paint.........
> >
> >Scalecoat 1 or 2 ...
> >
> >D&H Blue, S F Blue, B&O Royal Blue, Conrail Blue, C&O Blue, .... Even, dare I say it??? .... Boston & Maine Blue
> >
> >Best to ya...
> >Mike Bauers

Bud Rindfleisch

Greg,
    Thanks for the Testors suggestion, that sounds like a winner already!
       Bud Rindfleisch

Bud Rindfleisch

Tim,
   Are these Accu paint colors? I'm guessing by the AP-1,4, 14 numbers.
     Bud Rindfleisch