Topics

Microscale rivets ...

Tim O'Connor

I was wondering if anyone had purchased these and found them to
be useful (or useless) ... We speculated on them a while back but
I don't recall if anyone actually saw them or used them.

Tim O'Connor

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

We were all waiting for you to risk your money first. :~)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/15/15 8:06 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had purchased these and found them to
be useful (or useless) ... We speculated on them a while back but
I don't recall if anyone actually saw them or used them.

Tim O'Connor

Chuck Cover

Tim ;and list,

I have used the Microscale rivets on a number of projects and found them to be great.  They are less expensive than the Archer.  If you want to check out two projects to see the results:  TKM #82 p16, Northumberland Water tower, and TKM #92 p21, 80F81a tender for BLI H10s.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

mwbauers

Are they embossed or 'painted' ?

Mike Bauers

On May 16, 2015, at 9:15 AM, "'Chuck Cover' wrote:

Tim and list,

I have used the Microscale rivets on a number of projects and found them to be great.

Tim O'Connor

Chuck, the rivets you used on the water tower were MicroMARK -- not MicroSCALE.

I don't have the #92 issue.

Tim O'Connor

Tim ;and list,

I have used the Microscale rivets on a number of projects and found them to be great. They are less expensive than the Archer. If you want to check out two projects to see the results: TKM #82 p16, Northumberland Water tower, and TKM #92 p21, 80F81a tender for BLI H10s.

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Paul Hillman

Has it ever been answered if these other co.'s rivets are 3D like Archer, or 2D decals? I've read these many messages but don't recall that being answered.

Paul Hillman

Chuck, the rivets you used on the water tower were MicroMARK -- not MicroSCALE.

I don't have the #92 issue.

Tim O'Connor

Tim ;and list,

>I have used the Microscale rivets on a number of projects and found them to be great. They are less expensive than the Archer. If you want to check out two projects to see the results: TKM #82 p16, Northumberland Water tower, and TKM #92 p21, 80F81a tender for BLI H10s.
>
>Chuck Cover
>Santa Fe, NM

Tim O'Connor

Paul

Yes the Micromark rivets are like Archer rivets. The question was whether anyone
knows about the Microscale rivet sheet, which may simply be flat decals.

Tim O'

Has it ever been answered if these other co.'s rivets are 3D like Archer, or 2D decals? I've read these many messages but don't recall that being answered.

Paul Hillman

Mark Stamm

Tim

You can get issue 92 from the Societies webpage. It is the most recent issue.

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

At 07:15 AM 5/16/2015, 'Chuck Cover' chuck.cover@gmail.com [STMFC] wrote:
I have used the Microscale rivets on a number of projects and found them to be great. They are less expensive than the Archer. If you want to check out two projects to see the results: TKM #82 p16, Northumberland Water tower, and TKM #92 p21, 80F81a tender for BLI H10s.
Chuck - You used "MicroMark"... which are an Archer Surface Details clone.

The question was on the just-released MicroSCALE decals:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=87-1498

Flat or Raised?

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 5/16/2015 10:59 AM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

Paul

Yes the Micromark rivets are like Archer rivets. The question was whether anyone
knows about the Microscale rivet sheet, which may simply be flat decals.

I saw them in Caboose Hobbies the other day. Although they were in the usual Microscale envelopes, I ran my finger nail over them and they felt and looked embossed.

Spen Kellogg

Tony Thompson

Richard Brennan wrote:

Chuck - You used "MicroMark"... which are an Archer Surface Details clone.

      I would say more in the character of a cheap copy. If you look closely at the Micromark product, they are misshapen and hardly any two are the same. But of course from a distance they do make a row of little dots. If you care, Archer rivets are far more consistent and are better shaped.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Andy Harman

Once the cat is out of the bag, the copycats come out of the woodwork.

I figure if the project is worth hand applying rivets, it's worth getting the good ones.  I have been using Archer successfully for several years now.  I don't see any reason to change.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On May 16, 2015, at 8:12 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Richard Brennan wrote:

Chuck - You used "MicroMark"... which are an Archer Surface Details clone.

      I would say more in the character of a cheap copy. If you look closely at the Micromark product, they are misshapen and hardly any two are the same. But of course from a distance they do make a row of little dots. If you care, Archer rivets are far more consistent and are better shaped.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Hillman

My question about the rivets is because Archer's patterns don't fit what I'm trying to build, but MM & MS patterns seem to. Thus, if MM or MS are 3D then I could invest in them. My local hobby shops don't carry any of them.

Trying to build some bridge gusset-plates, and other unique stuff, for STMFC freight cars to roll through.

Paul Hillman

Richard Brennan wrote:

Chuck - You used "MicroMark"... which are an Archer Surface Details clone.

      I would say more in the character of a cheap copy. If you look closely at the Micromark product, they are misshapen and hardly any two are the same. But of course from a distance they do make a row of little dots. If you care, Archer rivets are far more consistent and are better shaped.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Chuck Cover

Oops…my mistake.  Yes they were Micromark.  Sorry.

Chuck Cover