Weed sprayer

Richard Townsend

I want to build a model of a weed sprayer with roof-top sprayer guns in addition to the track-level sprayer arms. My problem is coming up with something to use for the topside sprayer guns. I thought about water cannons from the Revell fire boat, but they are too big. Any suggestions?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Patrick Wade

Walthers has or had an oil loading rack kit. There were arms that swung over the tank car dooms to fill the cars. Perhaps one of these arms would work.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:08 PM, richtownsend@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I want to build a model of a weed sprayer with roof-top sprayer guns in addition to the track-level sprayer arms. My problem is coming up with something to use for the topside sprayer guns. I thought about water cannons from the Revell fire boat, but they are too big. Any suggestions?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Charles Peck

I think I would be looking through bits of sprue or else split a plastic ladder lengthwise
to leave pieces of rung hanging down as nozzles.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Patrick Wade patwadesb@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Walthers has or had an oil loading rack kit. There were arms that swung over the tank car dooms to fill the cars. Perhaps one of these arms would work.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:08 PM, richtownsend@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I want to build a model of a weed sprayer with roof-top sprayer guns in addition to the track-level sprayer arms. My problem is coming up with something to use for the topside sprayer guns. I thought about water cannons from the Revell fire boat, but they are too big. Any suggestions?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard Townsend

For the track level sprayers, cut down ladders is exactly what I am planning on using. It's the topside sprayers, which look like some kind of cannons, that are the problem. And, yes, I have looked for cannons that would work (from military model sites) but I have not found any suitable ones.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

[...]

Clark Cooper

Rich,

Not long ago the Great Northern Hysterical Society offered a kit for just such a thing:

https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Being a member of said Society, I have one of those kits. The illustrated directions have you fabricating something out of the included styrene rod and some brass wire. Doesn't look very complicated. If you want a copy of that page, let me know.

-Clark Cooper
(the other Iowa Clark)

On May 29, 2015, at 7:05 PM, richtownsend@... [STMFC] wrote:

For the track level sprayers, cut down ladders is exactly what I am planning on using. It's the topside sprayers, which look like some kind of cannons, that are the problem. And, yes, I have looked for cannons that would work (from military model sites) but I have not found any suitable ones.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Wow! What a homely looking critter.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 29, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Clark Cooper csc@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Rich,

Not long ago the Great Northern Hysterical Society offered a kit for just such a thing:

https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Being a member of said Society, I have one of those kits. The illustrated directions have you fabricating something out of the included styrene rod and some brass wire. Doesn't look very complicated. If you want a copy of that page, let me know.

-Clark Cooper
(the other Iowa Clark)
On May 29, 2015, at 7:05 PM, richtownsend@... [STMFC] wrote:

> For the track level sprayers, cut down ladders is exactly what I am planning on using. It's the topside sprayers, which look like some kind of cannons, that are the problem. And, yes, I have looked for cannons that would work (from military model sites) but I have not found any suitable ones.
>
> Richard Townsend
> Lincoln City, Oregon

A&Y Dave in MD

What about a fire fighting tug sprayer?

$90 would be too much for the sprayer only, but ask the manufacturer or see if someone else offers just the detail.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

[...]

Scott H. Haycock

Richard,

If it looks like a small cannon, couldn't you turn it from a piece of styrene rod in a drill or press, using some small files and sandpaper?

Scott haycock

For the track level sprayers, cut down ladders is exactly what I am planning on using. It's the topside sprayers, which look like some kind of cannons, that are the problem. And, yes, I have looked for cannons that would work (from military model sites) but I have not found any suitable ones.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Charles Hladik

    When I did a PWD tar truck I used sprue  to do the bottom rear sprayer ( the only one). The ladder idea sound reasonable.

Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 5/29/2015 8:35:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Wow! What a homely looking critter.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 29, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Clark Cooper csc@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Rich,

Not long ago the Great Northern Hysterical Society offered a kit for just such a thing:

https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Being a member of said Society, I have one of those kits. The illustrated directions have you fabricating something out of the included styrene rod and some brass wire. Doesn't look very complicated. If you want a copy of that page, let me know.

-Clark Cooper
(the other Iowa Clark)
On May 29, 2015, at 7:05 PM, richtownsend@... [STMFC] wrote:

> For the track level sprayers, cut down ladders is exactly what I am planning on using. It's the topside sprayers, which look like some kind of cannons, that are the problem. And, yes, I have looked for cannons that would work (from military model sites) but I have not found any suitable ones.
>
> Richard Townsend
> Lincoln City, Oregon

Douglas Harding

What about a fire fighter car? Seems to me the SP had tank cars equipped with water cannon like sprayers to fight fires. Is there a kit for one of these cars that might provide parts? Or perhaps a model of a fire truck or military vehicle?