Navy Box Car

VgnRy43@...

I am looking for pictures of box cars owned by and lettered for the U.S. Navy.

Aubrey Wiley
Lynchburg, Va.

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Aubrey,

One suggestion for images would be the Fallen Flags web site … http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/usa/usa.html

Once there, scroll down to US Navy. While a number of the images are perhaps later than the steam era timeframe, there are some for cars that existed during the period of this group.

Happy Hunting.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jun 11, 2015, at 1:30 PM, VgnRy43@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I am looking for pictures of box cars owned by and lettered for the U.S. Navy.

Aubrey Wiley
Lynchburg, Va.

Brad Smith

I have slides of older Navy boxcars, both the double door bomb cars and the single door.  They were silver, with an orange underframe.  I assume it was red lead-but it was orange.  The bomb cars that came to New England were accompanied by a PRR caboose.

There was a nice HO model of one and a nice N-scale model as well, but both lacked the orange underframe.  I also had B&W pics of them.  I will dig for them.

Brad Smith
Franklin, WI

rwitt_2000

There are several at the Indiana Transportation Museum Home

Bob Witt

VgnRy43@...

Thank you for the tips and leads which I will follow.

Aubrey

Rod Miller

On 6/11/15 4:02 PM, VgnRy43@aol.com [STMFC] wrote:
Thank you for the tips and leads which I will follow.

Aubrey
Don't know where you are located, so this may not work for
you. Several 50 foot all steel door and a half USN box cars
are parked around the perimeter of a parking lot along US 50
in Fallon, NV. I have photos buried somewhere in this computer
and couldn't find them just now.

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman

Brad Smith

Here is an accurate 40' USN boxcar on eBay, except that it needs to have the underframe painted orange.  I think the majority of the bomb cars were the 50' door-and-a-half cars, painted the same.  Some had the supply base home painted on the car side.

Brad Smith

In a message dated 6/11/2015 6:07:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:
On 6/11/15 4:02 PM, VgnRy43@... [STMFC] wrote:
> Thank you for the tips and leads which I will follow.
>
> Aubrey

Don't know where you are located, so this may not work for
you. Several 50 foot all steel door and a half USN box cars
are parked around the perimeter of a parking lot along US 50
in Fallon, NV. I have photos buried somewhere in this computer
and couldn't find them just now.

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman
===
Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives,  |   O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More     |   2016 Meet is May 5 - 7
http://www.rodmiller.com               |   http://www.oscalewest.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: