Weight

cptracks

Me too, and they work very well. My son used to work in a parts warehouse and now I have a lifetime supply.

Colin Riley

From: "Allen Cain allencaintn@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:00 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Weight

For boxcar I use self adhesive tire balancing weights direct stuck to the floor directly above and centered on the truck bolster screw with weight equally split between the two ends.
Last time I bought these at Car Quest but other supply shops should have them and much much much cheaper than what A-line sells. These are used to balance mag style wheels
Allen Cain

Andy Sperandeo

Hello Fred,

My preferred method for adding weight to both resin and plastic house cars is to screw a strip of sheet lead to the top of the floor before permanently attaching the floor to the body. See my article, "Building resin freight car kits," in the February 2010 Model Railroader. The section on adding weight is on page 52.

I like this way of doing it because I like magnetic uncoupling and so try to avoid using steel weights that can be attracted to magnets. I routinely discard the steel plates included in many kits and use lead sheet instead. If the holes for the screws are drilled between the center sills, the screws will be invisible on the finished car, and with screws there's no delay while glue dries or concern that glue will eventually shrink and come loose.

Good luck with your car kits,

Andy

Tony Thompson

     For car weights if not supplied in a kit, I normally use a pair of 1/2-inch or 5/8-inch steel nuts (whichever fits). They cost about 18 cents at my hardware store. I attach them with canopy glue and have never had one come loose.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Allan Smith

A-line a division of proto power west has self addhesive weights  #13000-13002 at a reasonable price. You should be able to get them thru your local hobby shop or thru Walthers. Also Walmart has self addhesive weights in the sporting goods section.
If you place them just inside the truck screw toward the center of the car you can still install and remove the trucks, I have a digital postal scale and weight the car parts before assembly, then I know how much weight to add to the car.
Al Smith Sonora CA

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:00 AM, "Allen Cain allencaintn@... [STMFC]" wrote:

For boxcar I use self adhesive tire balancing weights direct stuck to the floor directly above and centered on the truck bolster screw with weight equally split between the two ends.
Last time I bought these at Car Quest but other supply shops should have them and much much much cheaper than what A-line sells. These are used to balance mag style wheels
Allen Cain

Tom in Texas

Relative to fixing the wobble problem, I have had good luck using the ribbed bolster washers sold by Proto 87 Stores

Tom Pearson
Benbrook, Texas

Allen Cain

For boxcar I use self adhesive tire balancing weights direct stuck to the floor directly above and centered on the truck bolster screw with weight equally split between the two ends.

Last time I bought these at Car Quest but other supply shops should have them and much much much cheaper than what A-line sells. These are used to balance mag style wheels

Allen Cain

Charles Etheredge

Fred,  Ben has it right.  If I had to pick one thing that is causing this, it would have to be uneven track.  From own experience, track sections not accurately joined, ( not flush and smooth), difference in height), the track itself is not exactly level....from side to side, etc.   I have a lot of Branchline cars on my layouts and have no problems at all with them.

Charles Etheredge

Benjamin Hom

Fred Jansz asked:
"I'm building a few Sunshine, Speedwitch and F&C resin kits at the moment and wonder what you're using to properly weigh these cars and at what's the best point in the (box) cars to add these weights."

I prefer non-ferrous weights to avoid issues with uncoupling magnets "grabbing" the weight.  Stick-on tire balancing weights from the auto parts store, or the more expensive A-Line weights from the hobby shop are a quick source.  Other modelers use lead from other sources, such as sheet lead roof flashing discussed on the list earlier this month.  Mount the weight low in the car along the centerline.

"I ask this because I have five plastic Branchline WP box cars with nuts (supplied by the manufacturer in the kit) glued directly above the truck center. As result these cars shake and wobble on the track. Guess that's where WP got it's name The Wobbly from..."

The location of the weight is not the issue.  Are your trucks properly tightened?  Are your wheelsets in round? Is your track in good shape?  You have other problems than the location of the weight.

Ben Hom

paul.doggett2472 <paul.doggett2472@...>

Sheet lead glued between the truck centres or suitable weight in coins again glued between the truck centres someone in the US does self adhesive weights but i cannot remember who do them.
What ever you use make sure you get it central from each side.

Paul Doggett UK

Sent from Samsung mobile

"fred@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I'm building a few Sunshine, Speedwitch and F&C resin kits at the moment and wonder what you're using to properly weigh these cars and at what's the best point in the (box) cars to add these weights.
I ask this because I have five plastic Branchline WP box cars with nuts (supplied by the manufacturer in the kit) glued directly above the truck center. As result these cars shake and wobble on the track. Guess that's where WP got it's name The Wobbly from...
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz