Topics

first use of large NYC logo

D. Scott Chatfield

Was the first use of the large NYC logo/herald on the green & black scheme in 1959, or were some red-brown boxcars painted that way first? I know the "Century" style reporting marks were adopted in 1955, but the photos I've seen of red-brown cars still have the small logos. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I remember seeing a red-brown double-door boxcar with the 15-foot wide logo. I only have the NYC Color Guide Volume Two.

thanks

Scott Chatfield

Benjamin Hom

Scott Chatfield asked:
"Was the first use of the large NYC logo/herald on the green & black scheme in 1959, or were some red-brown boxcars painted that way first? I know the "Century" style reporting marks were adopted in 1955, but the photos I've seen of red-brown cars still have the small logos. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I remember seeing a red-brown double-door boxcar with the 15-foot wide logo."

1959.  12 cars received a "cigar band" test scheme in November 1958, but I'm not sure if they were red-brown, and all of the cars were 50 ft single door cars from Lots 692-B and 700-B.

Scroll down the page for the paint & lettering information.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

Ben Hom

robertb@smartchat.net.au

Ben,

The 12 cars painted in the Cigar Band test scheme were painted Century Green. A picture of one of these cars was included in an article the NYC Historical Society published in their magazine on the evolution of the NYC's logos back in 1974 and 1976. Both parts of this article are now posted as pdf files on the NYC Historical Society's web site. Part two of the article with the photo of the test scheme was from 1976 and can be seen on page 3 of the pdf file (page 19 of the actual article) at this link:-

https://nycshs.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/the-nyc-oval-part2.pdf

For interest, this is the link to part 1:- https://nycshs.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/the-nyc-oval.pdf

Many freight car photos are included in the articles.

Robert Bogie

On 27/06/2015 7:13 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] wrote:

Scott Chatfield asked:
"Was the first use of the large NYC logo/herald on the green & black scheme in 1959, or were some red-brown boxcars painted that way first? I know the "Century" style reporting marks were adopted in 1955, but the photos I've seen of red-brown cars still have the small logos. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I remember seeing a red-brown double-door boxcar with the 15-foot wide logo."

1959.  12 cars received a "cigar band" test scheme in November 1958, but I'm not sure if they were red-brown, and all of the cars were 50 ft single door cars from Lots 692-B and 700-B.

Scroll down the page for the paint & lettering information.

Ben Hom

Brad Smith

There was also a blue test car before the green color. I don't know where that fit in.

Brad Smith

Sent from Brad's iPod

Brad Smith wrote:
"There was also a blue test car before the green color. I don't know where that fit in."

Two cars, September 1958.  You would have seen it if you clicked on the link I provided in my previous post.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

Ben Hom

Brad Smith

No. Totally different car. There have been HO models made of the car in your article without SYSTEM. This was different. I used to have the history that came with the special run N scale Micro Trains release. This was a one of a kind. I can photograph the model.

Brad Smith

Sent from Brad's iPod

Brad Smith wrote:
"No. Totally different car. There have been HO models made of the car in your article without SYSTEM. This was different. I used to have the history that came with the special run N scale Micro Trains release. This was a one of a kind. I can photograph the model."

This scheme?

There's a color photo of this car and NYC 92102 in the first Morning Sun NYC Color Guide on page 85.

Ben Hom

Brad Smith

That's the car!  Where does it fit in the Chronology of the development of  the cigar band oval and green car?
 Brad Smith
Sent from Brad's iPod

Brad Smith wrote:
"That's the car!  Where does it fit in the Chronology of the development of the cigar band oval and green car?"
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-220539.jpg

As I previously posted, two cars, NYC 92102 and 220539 in September 1958, prior to the November 1958 experimental "cigar band" scheme.

Recommend you review Terry Link's NYC freight car paint and lettering summary at

Ben Hom

Brad Smith

Ben, Thank you.  That is an informative article (Terry Link's).  Strangely, these two cars are not mentioned.  The article also states that the covered hoppers were gray.  I always wondered about the Athearn Jade Green 50' covered hopper with the cigar band.  I know that Irv. pestered railroads for their latest painting schemes.  He did it to us, as did other manufacturers.  This could have been a proposal that never got to the paint shop, or it could have for one car. (Like the New Haven "checkerboard" car.  There is a work order to paint one car, but no photo has surfaced.)

Brad Smith
Franklin, WI

Brad Smith wrote:
"That is an informative article (Terry Link's).  Strangely, these two cars are not mentioned."
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

Actually, he does.  It's in between the information on Early Bird and experimental "Cigar Band" schemes.  Where do you think I pulled the information and the link to the photo of NYC 220539?

Ben Hom

Brad Smith

Found it. I was looking in the wrong place. At least there is a model available of the car.

Brad

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Jun 30, 2015, at 6:26 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Brad Smith wrote:
"That is an informative article (Terry Link's).  Strangely, these two cars are not mentioned."

Actually, he does.  It's in between the information on Early Bird and experimental "Cigar Band" schemes.  Where do you think I pulled the information and the link to the photo of NYC 220539?

Ben Hom

Rick Jesionowski

I did one of the experimental cars, the 50' one, the Canada Southern Site shows what lot the car came from but the picture in the NYC Color Guide is not that type of car.  I used a Branchline 50' Box but used 4-4 ends to match the picture. Here is the finished car:

Rick Jesionowski

Nice. What did you use for the decal?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: first use of large NYC logo

I did one of the experimental cars, the 50' one, the Canada Southern Site
shows what lot the car came from but the picture in the NYC Color Guide is
not that type of car. I used a Branchline 50' Box but used 4-4 ends to
match the picture. Here is the finished car:

http://s765.photobucket.com/user/dti406/media/Box%20Cars/P1010027_zpsc93c066
0.jpg.html?sort=4&o=153

Rick Jesionowski

Brad Smith

Nice car. The commercial offering has the wrong ends also.

Brad Smith

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Jun 30, 2015, at 2:46 PM, Rick Jesionowski dti406@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I did one of the experimental cars, the 50' one, the Canada Southern Site shows what lot the car came from but the picture in the NYC Color Guide is not that type of car.  I used a Branchline 50' Box but used 4-4 ends to match the picture. Here is the finished car:

Rick Jesionowski

Rick Jesionowski

"  Nice. What did you use for the decal?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni"

Brian I got the decal from Modern Rails, they also have the one for the 40' car, but I have not figured out how to replicate that car, it is really different.

Rick Jesionowski

Very good! Did not know of this seller. Will have to make up a list of
decals I¹d like to get!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

" Nice. What did you use for the decal?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni"

Brian I got the decal from Modern Rails, they also have the one for the 40'
car, but I have not figured out how to replicate that car, it is really
different.

http://www.modernrails.com/decals-in-ho-and-n-scales.html

Rick Jesionowski