One could model this car, but

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

One could model this car, but it would be best to carry an image of the prototype car at all times, in case the prototype police show up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743

Claus Schlund

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schulund wrote:
"One could model this car, but it would be best to carry an image of the prototype car at all times, in case the prototype police show up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743

Yes, but modeling the exceptions does not an exceptional modeler make.

Ben Hom

paul.doggett2472@...

Always model what you enjoy especially if its correct.
Paul Doggett UK

Eric Hansmann

Claus,

It all depends on the era someone is modeling.

With a 1941 reweigh date, this is one of thousands of 36-foot, double sheathed box cars in service at that time. It should not be rare to have one of these shortys appear on your layout if you model the WW2 period. Kline & Culotta's Post War Freight Car Fleet shows several examples that passed through the Harrisburg, PA region at that time.

The K brake ban was what drove many of these early freight cars into retirement or MoW duty. If you model after 1954 these would be much less a part of the fleet, but for the 1940 to 1946 period, the shorty, double sheathed box cars were still an important component of the National box car picture. I suspect these were a larger percentage of the National box car fleet in that time span than box cars built to the 1932 AAR steel box car design.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

On July 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM "'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

One could model this car, but it would be best to carry an image of the prototype car at all times, in case the prototype police
show up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
STMFC-digest@...
STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Eric Hansmann

Captain Obvious dropped me a message off list to point out the B&A box car is lettered as Boston & Boston. I've looked over the image four times in the last two days and noted all sorts of hardware details and other lettering. The larger letters escaped my notice. I now see what Claus was pointing out. Sometimes I get pretty focused on the smaller stuff.

And so it goes.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jul 4, 2015, at 12:38 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

One could model this car, but it would be best to carry an image of the prototype car at all times, in case the prototype police
show up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@...>

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   STMFC-digest@...
   STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Richard Brennan

At 11:38 AM 7/4/2015, 'Claus Schlund [STMFC] wrote:
One could model this car, but it would be best to carry an image of the prototype car at all times, in case the prototype police
show up!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743
"Local use Only" ???

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Brian Termunde

Isn't that what they call "Detail Orientated" Eric?

I often find myself seeing a photo or movie and thinking to myself, "I sure wish those people (or engines or whatever) would get the heck out of the way, I want to see those (steam era) freight cars!"

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

"My Train of Thought left the station without me!"

3e. Re: One could model this car, but
    Posted by: "Eric Hansmann" eric@... wvrail
    Date: Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:36 pm ((PDT))

Captain
Obvious dropped me a message off list to point out the B&A box car is lettered
as Boston & Boston. I've looked over the image four times in the last two days
and noted all sorts of hardware details and other lettering. The larger letters
escaped my notice. I now see what Claus was pointing out. Sometimes I get pretty
focused on the smaller stuff.

And so it goes.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Tony Thompson

Ben Hom wrote:

Yes, but modeling the exceptions does not an exceptional modeler make.

     A point I often make also. Modeling an occasional exception is one thing, but there are plenty of modelers who seem to like exceptions better than what is actually typical. I recall Richard Hendrickson finding a print of a photo of one of these lettering errors at the old Naperville meeting, and immediately buying all the prints, in the hope that he could suppress the information. "Worst thing," he said, "is if Walthers gets hold of this."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

  http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692637743 (B&A 35385)
  Claus Schlund

Just fyi, this car did not survive into 1953 ... and very few of the series
were still around in 1950.

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler Larrabee

Ben Hom wrote:

Yes, but modeling the exceptions does not an exceptional modeler make.

Tony Thompson responded

     A point I often make also. Modeling an occasional exception is one thing, but there are plenty of modelers who seem to like exceptions better than what is actually typical. I recall Richard Hendrickson finding a print of a photo of one of these lettering errors at the old Naperville meeting, and immediately buying all the prints, in the hope that he could suppress the information. "Worst thing," he said, "is if Walthers gets hold of this."

Another case in point:  Who has not seen at train shows 40’ gray EL box cars with “double diamonds,” one diamond either side of the door, with the lettering in red.  Was there EVER a car painted this way?  Yes, it was outside Cleveland briefly, when the newly-minted EL was deciding what to do about painting their rolling stock.  This sample car never rolled a mile in revenue service, but photos were taken, and unfortunately, they have been reproduced on models hundreds of thousands of times.  After the executives viewed the car, it was repainted, probably the same afternoon.

Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted.  The gray scheme only lasted a few years.

Schuyler

mopacfirst

This photo was also published in RPCyc, vol. 4, page 5.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I thought there was a version also of two guys, painters perhaps or other carmen, standing in front of this car.

Equally noteworthy to me is the fact that this lettering is blatantly stenciled with no attempt to fill in the gaps, which was not exactly common in this era for regular freight car lettering.

Ron Merrick

Benjamin Hom

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted.  The gray scheme only lasted a few years."

Looks red to me here:
http://primemoverdecals.com/dcaltemp.html?code=3&field=PMD-019

...though to be fair, these don't look very red:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/w73917.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el73100ajg.jpg

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

I stand corrected.  But even so, there were not a LOT of cars with the red lettering, and besides, this is all past the end of this list.

Schuyler

"Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted.  The gray scheme only lasted a few years."

Looks red to me here:

...though to be fair, these don't look very red:

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben, that lettering is EL Maroon -- not red. The maroon letters were
applied to many gray box cars. I think that's what Schuyler meant ...

Although the scheme was only -applied- for a short while, gray cars
lasted at least until when the EL was absorbed into Conrail.

Tim O'

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted. The gray scheme only lasted a few years."

Looks red to me here:
http://primemoverdecals.com/dcaltemp.html?code=3&field=PMD-019

...though to be fair, these don't look very red:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/w73917.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el73100ajg.jpg

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Tim, it post-dates 1960, past the end of this list, and while I have some EL equipment, I’m really not all that interested in EL, so red, maroon, whatever . . .

Schuyler

Ben, that lettering is EL Maroon -- not red. The maroon letters were
applied to many gray box cars. I think that's what Schuyler meant ...

Although the scheme was only -applied- for a short while, gray cars
lasted at least until when the EL was absorbed into Conrail.

Tim O'

>Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
>"Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted. The gray scheme only lasted a few years."
>
>Looks red to me here:
>http://primemoverdecals.com/dcaltemp.html?code=3&field=PMD-019
>
>...though to be fair, these don't look very red:
>http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/w73917.jpg
>http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el73100ajg.jpg
>
>Ben Hom

Rio Grande Ltd <rgmodels@...>

If you really want a model of the B&A car just park it at a warehouse as a substitute storage shed.

eric bracher

Tim, it post-dates 1960, past the end of this list, and while I have some EL equipment, I’m really not all that interested in EL, so red, maroon, whatever . . .

Schuyler

Ben, that lettering is EL Maroon -- not red. The maroon letters were
applied to many gray box cars. I think that's what Schuyler meant ...

Although the scheme was only -applied- for a short while, gray cars
lasted at least until when the EL was absorbed into Conrail.

Tim O'

>Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
>"Incidentally, the red lettering was never (AFAIK) applied to revenue service car, and the gray paint turned out to be a problem: these cars showed rust very promptly after being painted. The gray scheme only lasted a few years."
>
>Looks red to me here:
>http://primemoverdecals.com/dcaltemp.html?code=3&field=PMD-019
>
>...though to be fair, these don't look very red:
>http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/w73917.jpg
>http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el73100ajg.jpg
>
>Ben Hom

Charlie Vlk

I also once considered destroying  CB&Q prints of airbrushed negatives showing a XM32 box in proposed "National Park Line" script slogan and a NE 12 Waycar with funky picture windows.
Most importers have better research nowadays than to work off a single photo or drawing from a book...
....but Richard's words still could come true....
Charlie Vlk

On Jul 4, 2015, at 2:51 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Ben Hom wrote:

Yes, but modeling the exceptions does not an exceptional modeler make.

     A point I often make also. Modeling an occasional exception is one thing, but there are plenty of modelers who seem to like exceptions better than what is actually typical. I recall Richard Hendrickson finding a print of a photo of one of these lettering errors at the old Naperville meeting, and immediately buying all the prints, in the hope that he could suppress the information. "Worst thing," he said, "is if Walthers gets hold of this."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mwbauers

Well……….

Walthers did give us the Piker and Oscar for passenger cars and the Jailbox and the Peanut car for freight equipment. Much earlier they ran several trolley car kits in both freight and passenger versions that were very unlike the roads they sold them as being.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

Charlie Vlk wrote:

I also once considered destroying  CB&Q prints of airbrushed negatives showing a XM32 box in proposed "National Park Line" script slogan and a NE 12 Waycar with funky picture windows.

     Well said, Charlie, and you are right, that was exactly the kind of thing Richard was horrified by.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mwbauers

On the other hand.....

Although it's regarding passengers cars, there are a few pictures of some few proposed cars that didn't make it into production for the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha.

Those are on my Bucket List for modeling and operating in HO.

Modeling what had been planned is as fun as modeling what was built.

On the locomotive front the demonstration displays of the proposed and not built Hiawatha streamlined 4-4-4's previous to deciding upon the 4-4-2's are equally as tempting to model.

Running below the surface in my mind is the vision of how shocked some people would be to see that engine pulling a Hiawatha with those cars in the train.

That alone would make it worthwhile to build the models,

I think I'd bring along copies of the pictures to prove that they did exist in some manner.

After models like The Piker and The Peanut car from Walthers, I wouldn't be surprised at anything they put on the market.

I noticed that they came out with the correct 4-truck depressed center flat car that P&H Mining Product uses.

But they numbered it for a different make car than they produced. A car in the fleet that instead of using the four two axle trucks they modeled, uses two four wheel and two six wheel trucks with a cast bed dropped flat car bridge instead of the welded drop center flat car bridge they modeled.

Right car..... Wrong ID or markings.... And the P&H car fleet is home based just 20 minutes drive away from them.

Mike Bauers