Topics

Reading GHN Gondola

Kenneth Schanz

Hi everyone,

First post here, looks like a great group.

I have uploaded a partial photo of a Reading GHN class gondola to the photo section. There is a section of data which I have highlighted that I am trying to decipher.

First line:

1 - W STEEL WHEEL

Second line:?

???? 2 1/2 IN TRAVEL

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Trying to prepare a submission to have a different class of gondola (GHL) with similar lettering, manufactured in N scale.

Best Regards,

Ken Schanz

brianleppert@att.net

That would refer to the truck's spring travel.  Here it is 2-1/2", which is a long travel spring.  Could that first word be "spring"?  But that's funny grammar

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV.

---In STMFC@..., <nkpken@...> wrote :

Hi everyone,

First post here, looks like a great group.

I have uploaded a partial photo of a Reading GHN class gondola to the photo section. There is a section of data which I have highlighted that I am trying to decipher.

First line:

1 - W STEEL WHEEL

Second line:?

???? 2 1/2 IN TRAVEL

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Trying to prepare a submission to have a different class of gondola (GHL) with similar lettering, manufactured in N scale.

Best Regards,

Ken Schanz

rwitt_2000

The first line: "1 W STEEL WHEEL"

Refers to one wear steel wheels verses "cast wheels" and one wear means they can't turned on a lathe to remove "flat spots", re-shape the flange, etc.

Bob Witt

Kenneth Schanz

Thanks for the responses.

Ken Schanz