Topics

B&O Modeler

eshoben@...

Got a message yesterday from the B&ORHS webmaster that the links to this publication have been removed because the society couldn't find anyone to run the e-zine.  So it would seem that the B&O Modeler is comatose, if not dead.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Ed Shoben

Edward

In part I suppose, the B&O RR HS would rather sell CD copies of the B&O Modeler e-magazine than allow the public to download them from their website.

A few months ago, the link to the B&O Modeler at the B&O RR HS website was removed. In the second quarter 2015 issue of  "The Sentinel," B&O RRHS Greg Smith explained the move to discontinue the B&O Modeler as volunteers for it could not be found. The B&O Modeler was an outreach effort, not supported by B&O RR HS membership dues.

However the web page containing B&O Modeler issues was not immediately removed. Until very recently, all posted issues could be read or downloaded if one used this address:

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/index.html

But now, that web page has also been removed.

Very sad indeed. My guess is that the B&O Modeler e-magazine is not likely to be restored or issued again. Volunteers needed to edit and publish it seem absent and such requires a sizeable investment of time and work as well. It could also be that quality articles on B&O modeling are becoming quite scarce.

Ed Bommer

rwitt_2000

Yes, unfortunately it is true that the B&OHS has suspended the publication of the B&O Modeler.

The Board of Directors is searching for a solution.

Prior issues volumes 1 - 7 are available on CD from the B&OHS Company Store for $10 each.

Company Store

Regards,

Bob Witt

Bob Chapman

Al Kresse writes:
I would guess it is the same problem as with the C&O Historical Society -- nobody is writing modeling articles to put in the Magazine nor the electronic Newsletter.

Al --

Not quite nobody, at least on the B&O side. I have been submitting articles to B&O Modeler; as each has appeared I have submitted another. And as Modeler died, my latest submission (a freight car feature) is concurrently dying in the "Modeler office," and a few others for later issues are dying in my file.

Large numbers of submitted articles may be lacking, but I'm certain enough material was available to keep Modeler going, especially if the publication schedule were made flexible as it has been in recent years. It's my belief that the primary problem is the time, skill, and commitment required from a volunteer editor to make each issue happen. It's a big job, and there doesn't seem to be a ready solution, at least in this case.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

water.kresse@...

Bob,

We could use another C&O Basement Sub-division article . . . say, like how make an ex-SV&E hopper car into a C&O car starting with XYZ model.  We've B&O, SV&E and C&O proto-pix to star with somewhere.

How is Colorado treating you?  It is "stinkin" hot here in the Thumb of Michigan today . . . with a lot more humidity than Colorado has . . . and more grass to cut.

Al

[...]

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Group,

It is sad to see a good source of modeling information going away. But this appears to be a manpower issue and not a lack of articles.

The original post stated…
Got a message yesterday from the B&ORHS webmaster that the links to this publication have been removed because the society couldn't find anyone to run the e-zine.  So it would seem that the B&O Modeler is comatose, if not dead.

It appears from this statement that there is a need for a replacement editor and production person. I am surprised that in a historical society with over 2000 members — or was that the round figure number given for the C&O group? — that there would be someone to step up to take over editorship. The comment that the B&O MODELER was not supported by the B&OHS dues is a bit telling. That seems to possibly indicate that there are some society internal politics involved.

While I am not a B&O fanatic I have enjoyed the B&O MODELER and have used its articles as the “how to” instructions for modeling some steam era freight cars to travel my east central Kansas branch line.

The B&O MODELER will be missed. Hopefully there will be someone to step up and keep it going.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 19, 2015, at 10:31 AM, chapbob611@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Al Kresse writes:
[...]

Charles Hladik

Bill,

    Politics, the damnation of us all.

    A couple years ago I needed some B&O info and mailed a request along with a $10.00 check. To this day I have not received an answer, but the Historical Society cashed the check. So one knows my opinion of the Historical Society, I've had no dealings with the folks from the Modeler. Good luck to all searching for info.

Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division
Member RRHS
NMRA Life

Al Kresse writes:
[...]

Greg Martin

B&O Modeler BOb Chapman writes:

"Not quite nobody, at least on the B&O side. I have been submitting articles to B&O Modeler; as each has appeared I have submitted another. And as Modeler died, my latest submission (a freight car feature) is concurrently dying in the "Modeler office," and a few others for later issues are dying in my file.

Large numbers of submitted articles may be lacking, but I'm certain enough material was available to keep Modeler going, especially if the publication schedule were made flexible as it has been in recent years. It's my belief that the primary problem is the time, skill, and commitment required from a volunteer editor to make each issue happen. It's a big job, and there doesn't seem to be a ready solution, at least in this case.

Regards,
Bob Chapman"

I have to agree with Bob, the issues don't entirely belong to the modelers, there is a staff that the modelers appeal to that has to be there when the material arrives.

The historical society has to take on the burden of making the modeler's eZines a success, from the BOD to the sitting president to the committee members of the societies modeling committee. They will sooner or later come to the realization the a "fallen flag" society is doomed if the society is not catering to the modeling in a "society forum". As they say if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem...

You have to ask yourself why would the work of an excellent modeler like Bob Chapman go unpublished?  My, my...

I have to say that the work of Ben Hom has to be recognized with regard to the B&O Modeler as well as his work in The Keystone Modeler; however he is no one man show.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Tim O'Connor

Never fear folks -- the WAYBACK machine can get you the issues you missed.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.borhs.org/modelermag/index.html

Tim O'Connor

Edward

I tried that link.

The Web Crawler notice there last visited the B&O Modeler page on Feb 3 2015.

Clicking on that date leads to a page not found notice.

I also had an article submitted to the B&O Modeler in July 2012. It was about building an O scale model of B&O diner 1035.  The article materials became lost and in December 2014 I was asked I could replace them, which I did. This article was to appear in a later 2015 issue.

Mention of this diner was made in the last issue of the B&O Modeler, as it had been seen at a prototype modelers meet at Malvern PA.

I was asked if I built it, (I did) but an incorrect class designation was given for it. I was advised this error would be corrected when my article about the model was to appear.

Ed Bommer

mwbauers

Thank you for posting this link.

It worked very well for me once I explored the earlier dates of the archive.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Jul 20, 2015, at 6:14 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Never fear folks -- the WAYBACK machine can get you the issues you missed.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.borhs.org/modelermag/index.html

………..

hayden_tom@...

Ed,   Try clicking on the Feb 20, 2006 link.   That worked for me,

Tom Hayden

rwitt_2000

The last one to work for me is Feb 17, 2013.

This link will get you the last issues published except for a single one done in 2014.

On the left side of the web page in "Magazine Footnotes" frame is a link to the last updated version of the "B&O Modeler Index", which has nine (9) pages.

Between the first link, Feb 20, 2006, and last link, Feb 17, 2013, it looks like one can access all the B&O Modelers from vol. 3 through vol. 7.

I hope this helps.

Bob Witt

P. S. A big THANK YOU to Tim O' for reminding us about the "WAYBACK machine".

Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...>

I last checked the B&O Modeler site a month ago (I check all the similar sites once a month) and downloaded the TWO  issues (2014-Q1 and 2014-Q2) I hadn’t got.

Shame it’s on hiatus and I hope it returns. I find all the society Modeler magazines very useful.

Regards,

Alan Monk

London, UK

The contents of this e-mail and any attached files are confidential. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately at postmaster@... and remove it from your system. If received in error, please do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy this email or its content. Transport for London excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached files.

Transport for London is a statutory corporation whose principal office is at Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0TL. Further information about Transport for London’s subsidiary companies can be found on the following link: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/

Although TfL have scanned this email (including attachments) for viruses, recipients are advised to carry out their own virus check before opening any attachments, as TfL accepts no liability for any loss, or damage which may be caused by viruses.

RICH CHAPIN

Last B&O Modeler Issue I downloaded was 2nd Qt 2014, vol 8, #2. Was this the last??

And yes Tim,  Mr. Sherman would be proud of your Wayback. Thx

Rich Chapin

Edward

Rich Chapin asked:

Last B&O Modeler Issue I downloaded was 2nd Qt 2014, vol 8, #2. Was this the last??

Yes, that was the last B&O Modeler issue posted.

Ed Bommer