Duryea underframe detail parts?

D. Scott Chatfield

Building an HO model of D&RGW 67771, a 1946 Pressed Steel Car 40' XM, starting with a C&BT Shops 12- panel kit I've had in the heap since the kit was introduced. The Rio Grande liked Duryea cushioned underframes, so I want to represent that. Some questions:

First, how do you pronounce Duryea? Durr-yay? Durr-yee-ah? Durr-yee?

Does anyone make HO detail parts reprenting the draft gear ends of a Duryea cushioned underframe? I know that the centersill and thus the crossbearers are deeper to accomodate the sliding sill. Any thought on modeling that short of scratchbuilding the underframe? Not that scratchbuilding is out of the question, but I'm a slow worker....

It looks like a Duryea centersill is made of two C-beams that are held to the floor by small flanges. Where is the cushioning unit itself?   I saw a drawing but it is rather small.  I gather Duryeas had a habit of sticking.

Scott Chatfield

Tim O'Connor

Scott Chatfield wrote

  > First, how do you pronounce Duryea?

Durr-yay?
some say this is right
Durr-yee-ah? some say this is right
Durr-yee? nobody says that's right :-)

  > Does anyone make HO detail parts reprenting the draft gear ends of a
  > Duryea cushioned underframe?

Problem is, there's more than one iteration. Joe Pennington made a nice set
of resin parts for 1937 AAR box cars (e.g. Frisco). Sunshine also made parts,
although I don't know what they were for. The version found on Santa Fe 50 ft
ice reefers looks very different (to me) than either of the box car versions,
or maybe it's just another iteration.

  > It looks like a Duryea centersill is made of two C-beams that are held to
  > the floor by small flanges. Where is the cushioning unit itself?

No idea.

Tim O'

Aley, Jeff A

Scott,

               Google is your friend.  Try googling “Duryea Cushion Underframe”.  You’ll find the Patent (w/ drawings).  You’ll also find a nice drawing (as applied to a flat car, IIRC) on the steamerafreightcars website.  [I note that the “all time list” does not list the car series you are modeling.]  You’ll also find the instructions for the Sunshine kit that Tim mentioned.

               To the best of my recollection, Richard Hendrickson (who was a professor of linguistics) used the 1st pronounciation.

Regards,

-Jeff

  > Does anyone make HO detail parts reprenting the draft gear ends of a
  > Duryea cushioned underframe?

Problem is, there's more than one iteration. Joe Pennington made a nice set
of resin parts for 1937 AAR box cars (e.g. Frisco). Sunshine also made parts,
although I don't know what they were for. The version found on Santa Fe 50 ft
ice reefers looks very different (to me) than either of the box car versions,
or maybe it's just another iteration.

  > It looks like a Duryea centersill is made of two C-beams that are held to
  > the floor by small flanges. Where is the cushioning unit itself?

No idea.

Tim O'

Tony Thompson

Jeff Aley wrote:

               To the best of my recollection, Richard Hendrickson (who was a professor of linguistics) used the 1st pronunciation.

       Correct. He always said "Dur-yay."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Sunshine also made parts, although I don't know what they were for."

- RI 145800-145999 and 147549-147749 ("MK.7"; "stock numbers" are Jim Hayes' cataloging)

- CMO - Duryea underframe, 4/4 ends, decals for postwar AAR boxcar ("MK.8")

CMO 37500-38298 10'6" IH boxcar ("MK.26")

- The Duryea underframes cited by Tim:

Ben Hom

Tangent Scale Models

---In STMFC@..., <blindog@...> wrote :

"Building an HO model of D&RGW 67771, a 1946 Pressed Steel Car 40' XM, starting with a C&BT Shops 12- panel kit I've had in the heap since the kit was introduced. (snip)

Does anyone make HO detail parts reprenting the draft gear ends of a Duryea cushioned underframe? I know that the centersill and thus the crossbearers are deeper to accomodate the sliding sill. Any thought on modeling that short of scratchbuilding the underframe? Not that scratchbuilding is out of the question, but I'm a slow worker...."

Scott, I think that UF matches the parts that Tangent Scale Models offers here (the last two part sprues in the list) http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/parts-bethlehem-70-ton-riveted-drop-end-gondola/

The Tangent parts were designed from the late 1930s-era Duryea plan as they were applied to the Bethlehem 70-ton gondolas built for B&O and RDG.

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Schleigh Mike

Speedwitch P107 is a Duryea underframe kit for the B&O M-(hyphen req'd)26D/E RC boxcar conversions.

Regards----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, July 24, 2015 7:36 PM, "tangentscalemodels@... [STMFC]" wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

[...]

Greg Martin

Didn't Richard also have a Duryea underframe in his West Rails line? I'll have to check this weekend.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.s ignaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

michaelegross <michaelEGross@...>

I still have one or two Westrail kits, and though Richard did not specifically include Duryea underframes in these kits, he included simple instructions and line drawings to simulate the prototype.

Michael Gross

Greg Martin

Thank you Michael,

I believe that I have most id not all of the instruction sheet for the West Rail Kits from his collection and it is on my to do list to get them sorted.

Thank you,

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean