Roundhouse 40' wood reefer

Mark Mathu

Athearn/Roundhouse has a 40' wood refrigerator car with steel ends in their
product line. This appears to be the old Athearn blue box wood reefer
tooling. Is that assumption correct?
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND85627
___
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay Wis.

Staffan Ehnbom

How can you tell? The "pictures" are so scetchy nowadays one can't see what they are.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM, 'Mark Mathu' mark@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Athearn/Roundhouse has a 40' wood refrigerator car with steel ends in their
product line. This appears to be the old Athearn blue box wood reefer
tooling. Is that assumption correct?
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND85627
___
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay Wis.

markstation01 <markstation01@...>

Yes it's the old Athearn blue box, MDC roundhouse didn't make a 40' reefer and if it were a new model I'm sure Athearn would have announced it

Mark Mathu

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if there was some other reefer in Roundhouse's old line, or if perhaps Athearn picked up some other wood reefer tooling somewhere along the way.

---In STMFC@..., <markstation01@...> wrote :

Yes it's the old Athearn blue box, MDC roundhouse didn't make a 40' reefer and if it were a new model I'm sure Athearn would have announced it

Benjamin Hom

Mark Mathu asked:
"Athearn/Roundhouse has a 40' wood refrigerator car with steel ends in their
product line. This appears to be the old Athearn blue box wood reefer
tooling. Is that assumption correct?"
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND85627

Yes. Be advised that Horizon has rebranded several Athearn models (ex: the Athearn "AAR" DS boxcar) to the "old-timey" Roundhouse line, even though those prototypes aren't particularly "old-timey". This particular model is actually closest to PFE plywood reefers resheathed with traditional wood sheathing after WWII. Horizon continues to play to the model railroad myth that "if it's wooden, it must be ancient" myth.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

Ben Hom wrote:

Yes. Be advised that Horizon has rebranded several Athearn models (ex: the Athearn "AAR" DS boxcar) to the "old-timey" Roundhouse line, even though those prototypes aren't particularly "old-timey". This particular model is actually closest to PFE plywood reefers resheathed with traditional wood sheathing after WWII. Horizon continues to play to the model railroad myth that "if it's wooden, it must be ancient" myth.

      The PFE reefers in question were rebuilds that were sheathed with plywood in 1947-48, and as the plywood began to fail, resheathed with tongue and groove in the 1950s. The old Athearn "wood" reefer can be modified to look like those resheathed T&G cars, but is not a particularly good model. The door hinges have to be replaced, the sheathing retainer strip along the bottom of the car side should be removed, and let's don't start on the ice hatches. Stan Rydarowicz has a very nice kit which correctly presents the resheathed cars, so I would not bother to try and upgrade an Athearn model at this point.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history