From:"Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
Date:Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Subject:[STMFC] RE: Bowser Covered Hoppers

Tony, when was that? The LNE died in 1961 and the practically new covered hoppers
quickly ended up on the second hand market including UP which used them to load cement
out of Victorville CA, among other uses. So that could explain how the YV got hold of
them.

Tim O'

   Broadly speaking, Doug is correct, and cement can be and is manufactured all over the U.S. But keep in mind that LOADS are not the same as CARS. My favorite example was the Yosemite Valley, which, not having any covered hoppers, captured and used for months some LNE cement cars. No, the cement was not traveling from New England; just the cars.

Tony Thompson

al_brown03

1961? I think that's after the end of the universe ... but the YV was abandoned in '45-46 IIRC, so any LNE hoppers must've gone there while the LNE was still very much in business.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tim O'Connor

and in what sense is suicide not death ?

One error in your statement that the LNE "died" in 1961, the railroad didn't die, the owners saw the writing on the wall and ceased operations on a high note rather than be forced to loose money.

Tim O'Connor

Good point -- Still it would be interesting to know the approx time period
of this hijacking of the L&NE hoppers and how they ended up in California...
It's a bit late for construction of the Hoover Dam so were there any other dams
under construction in CA that could account for shipping cement 3,000 miles?

Tim O'

1961? I think that's after the end of the universe ... but the YV was abandoned in '45-46 IIRC, so any LNE hoppers must've gone there while the LNE was still very much in business.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Mark Drake <markstation01@...>

What Business 101 class did you fail with that attitude?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
Date:Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Subject:Re: [STMFC] RE: Bowser Covered Hoppers

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Good point -- Still it would be interesting to know the approx time period
of this hijacking of the L&NE hoppers and how they ended up in California...
It's a bit late for construction of the Hoover Dam so were there any other dams
under construction in CA that could account for shipping cement 3,000 miles?

      THe use of the LNE cars would have been prior to 1944, when the Merced cement plant of Yosemite Portland Cement was closed. I have no reason to think that the cars were originally in California carrying cement from their home territory. Jack Burgess might know. I will copy him on this.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Doug Pillow

        The N&W  cars also difference in that the center lower lower door guides faced in opposite directon from the Pennsy cars
                                                     Doug Pillow