Topics

SP Ogden Yard 50s - Bad News?

Jim Betz

  Somebody asked about the source of this photo.  It appears that I 'grabbed' it from
smugmug from a folder called "Roger Kingsford Photos" (sic).  There is nothing on
the website that implies the photo is protected ... but it might be.  I have no way to
really find out who the 'owner' of the image is and therefore can not determine if
posting it to STMFC is 'legal'.
  I -think- that this group's rules are to "errr in the direction of being too conservative"
rather than "assume it is in the public domain - if it is posted somewhere anyone can
find it".

  Modertor(s) ===> do I have that correct and do you want me to take it down?
                             Right away?  In a day or two?
                                                                                                      - Jim B.

(who won't be back online until about 11pm PDT)

Jim Betz

  If you want me to take it down ... is it OK to replace it with a link to
the photo on smugmug?

Eric Hansmann

Jim,

Please share a link to the photo. There may be other images on the same site that will be of interest.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Aug 8, 2015, at 11:36 AM, jimbetz@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

  Somebody asked about the source of this photo.  It appears that I 'grabbed' it from
smugmug from a folder called "Roger Kingsford Photos" (sic).  There is nothing on
the website that implies the photo is protected ... but it might be.  I have no way to
really find out who the 'owner' of the image is and therefore can not determine if
posting it to STMFC is 'legal'.
  I -think- that this group's rules are to "errr in the direction of being too conservative"
rather than "assume it is in the public domain - if it is posted somewhere anyone can
find it".

  Modertor(s) ===> do I have that correct and do you want me to take it down?
                             Right away?  In a day or two?
                                                                                                      - Jim B.

(who won't be back online until about 11pm PDT)

Jim Betz

Eric,

  Here is the link ... will go off line fairly soon.  There are many great photos in
this 'collection' ... I think I got to this collection the first time by finding a link
to "Utah Rails" ... but can't remember for certain (too long ago) ... Jim B.

Tony Thompson

Jim Betz wrote:

 I -think- that this group's rules are to "errr in the direction of being too conservative"

rather than "assume it is in the public domain - if it is posted somewhere anyone can
find it".

       This is like saying "here is a car with the keys in it, I'll assume it's in the public domain." With copyright as with many things, you cannot and should not assume nobody cares about it -- or has rights to it.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

There are two versions of the photo on the page Jim’s link leads to.  The one nearer the top of the page has a better resolution, or at least, a higher pixel count.

Schuyler

  Here is the link ... will go off line fairly soon.  There are many great photos in

this 'collection' ... I think I got to this collection the first time by finding a link

to "Utah Rails" ... but can't remember for certain (too long ago) ... Jim B.

Jim Betz

Hi,

  Photo and album removed from PHOTOS.  Please use the following
link

and PLEASE continue the discussions/threads related to the various
items that can be seen in this and other pictures on this same site.

                                                                                   - Jim B.