Topics

Front Range

Schuyler Larrabee

The exchange about “hacking” included (from Ben) a reference to Front Range cars.  I’ve had four FR kits kicking around here for a long time.  Three No. 5000, 50’ ACF cars, and one ACF 3 Bay Grain Car.  It’s a ~50’ long car.

Someday I will maybe do something with the box cars (if I can find an early version of them) but the grain car is of no use to me.  Is somebody here interested in acquiring it?

BTW, does anybody have some nominations for “early” versions of the No. 5000 kits?  When did ACF introduce these cars?

Schuyler

Ed Hawkins

On Aug 8, 2015, at 9:27 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee'
schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net [STMFC] wrote:

BTW, does anybody have some nominations for “early” versions of the
No. 5000 kits?  When did ACF introduce these cars?
Schuyler,
The version of the Improved Dreadnaught ends of the Front Range
Products 5000 model represent prototype 50'-6" box cars built in 1955
or later. The model came with 8' door openings, 16-panel welded sides,
and a diagonal panel roof.

I believe the model could be obtained only with a fish-belly side sill,
however, I'm not aware of any prototype cars of the FRP 5000 model that
were built this way. Please advise if FRP offered the 50'-6"
welded-side car with a "notched/tabbed" side sills. I really don't like
using the "notched" or "tabbed" term to describe the side sill, but I'm
not aware of a proper terminology.

In the Oct. 1992 Railmodel Journal I wrote an article about ACF 50' box
cars of this general type with either 8' or 9' door openings. The
following series of cars can be accurately modeled if the fish-belly
side sills are modified using the general dimensions outlined in the
article.

C&EI 3760-3784, 3800-3874 (100 cars, ACF lot 4457, built 4-55)
D&RGW 64000-64099 (100 cars, ACF lot 4693, built 8-56)
M-K-T 90151-90200 (150 cars, ACF lot 4724, built 10-56)
MP 81000-81099 (100 cars, ACF lot 5379, built 12-59)
RI 30500-30699 (200 cars, ACF lot 4554, built 12-55)

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

I've got one of the D&RGW cars under construction on my workbench. Beautiful
gold & silver cars. I've decided to remove the floor and replace it with the
vastly superior Accurail underframe -- which happened to be designed to fit
the old Front Range bodies.

Tim O'Connor

In the Oct. 1992 Railmodel Journal I wrote an article about ACF 50' box cars of this
general type with either 8' or 9' door openings. The following series of cars can be
accurately modeled if the fish-belly side sills are modified using the general dimensions
outlined in the article.

D&RGW 64000-64099 (100 cars, ACF lot 4693, built 8-56)

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Greg Martin

The ACCURAIL 5200  and the Front Range 5200 are very similar cars. The difference being one has a removable underframe the other the roof.

The difficulty is the ends being the slender tapered Dreadnaught end, at least fro our era here. But as Ed Hawkins pointed out there are some prototypes.  I own both the ACCURAIL version and the Front Range version and unless I am willing to compromise on the ends I will be replacing them. OR model in the baby-boom era and I am not opposed to that.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean