Topics

Not Just For Automobiles

thecitrusbelt@...

This photo link below is from a website (http://dalakarl.com/project00.html)

about the restoration of a Aeronca KCA-14 airplane.

I know very little about airplanes but I can certainly identify a boxcar:

http://dalakarl.com/boxcar.jpg

Caption: “The way in which Aeroncas travelled to California in those days was by boxcar. There is a picture of one such sister ship being loaded at the factory in one of the Aeronca books.”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

This photo link below is from a website (http://dalakarl.com/project00.html)
about the restoration of a Aeronca KCA-14 airplane.
I know very little about airplanes but I can certainly identify a boxcar:

Caption: “The way in which Aeroncas travelled to California in those days was by boxcar. There is a picture of one such sister ship being loaded at the factory in one of the Aeronca books.”

    Terrific photo, Bob, and another reason to operate double-door box cars on one's layout, other than automobiles and lumber .

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

al_brown03

Is there a second plane, already inside?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Jack Mullen

Yes, it looks like there's at least one more, with tail visible in the doorway,  nose out of sight to the left. Behind that fuselage, it looks like there's a rack of wings and/ or stabilizers, at least 8 items. That may suggest that there were several planes in the shipment.

I keep thinking Richard Hendrickson would have enjoyed this one!

Jack Mullen

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Group,

I would appreciate if someone could ID the box car. My knowledge base of the PRR is extremely limited.

Thanks and Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 10, 2015, at 5:03 PM, jack.f.mullen@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Yes, it looks like there's at least one more, with tail visible in the doorway,  nose out of sight to the left. Behind that fuselage, it looks like there's a rack of wings and/ or stabilizers, at least 8 items. That may suggest that there were several planes in the shipment.

I keep thinking Richard Hendrickson would have enjoyed this one!

Jack Mullen

Mark Stamm

I think it is an X32b

Mark P Stamm