Topics

STL RPM 2015 - Thanks!

golden1014

On behalf of Lonnie Bathurst, Dan Kohlberg, Dave Roeder and Clark Propst, I’d like to say thank you for a wonderful, crazy, packed, non-stop and thoroughly enjoyable weekend at the 2015 St. Louis RPM meet.  We had a whopper of an event—385 attendees, lots of happy vendors and historical societies, over 2,000 models brought by attendees, and a ton of fun and fellowship.  We are humbled, and grateful, for your participation and we hope that you all had a wonderful time and safe travels.

Everyone made our event a success this year.  To our vendors and manufacturers—thank you for your time and effort and money spent to get here, meet and greet your customers, and make our event a success.  To all the historical society people who came to meet and encouraged greater participation—thanks for flying the flag and being a big part of the show.  To our speakers, who presented a variety of topics to packed audiences—thank you for your tireless effort to educate your fellow modelers and railfans.  And to our friendly exhibitors, like Dave Shroedle and the crew from The Weathering Shop, and Jeff Otto, and Badger and Grex, among many others—thank you for your dedication and loyalty to the community.  Not to be forgotten are the layout owners—thank you for opening your homes and spreading good cheer.  We hope everyone was inspired by meeting new friends and learning new things.

The generosity of our vendors and historical societies and manufacturers humbles us every year.  We were fortunate to give away about 260 door prizes, including locomotives, decoders, freight cars of all types, books, historical society memberships, paint, calendars, and lots of other great stuff.  THANK YOU to our vendor and manufacturer friends—your contributions make RPM meets what they are and keep modelers coming through the doors.

I’d also like to thank all the folks behind the scenes who helped out all weekend—all the guys that dropped their bags and helped the vendors pack up and move in and out, the folks who worked the front door, and all the guys that helped us move tables around on Friday morning when things got all messed up—and all you others that I am forgetting—thanks to you for your selflessness.

Also, thanks to everyone that brought models.  The model display is the heart of our meet, and I recognize that it’s tough to pack up and bring things, and recognize the risks involved.  Thanks to each and every one of your for making that special effort and making STL RPM something special.  Without your models, RPM meets would be just another train show.

Our friends at the Gateway NMRA were terrific as always, helping us arrange things and spread the word.  For more information on the NMRA’s Gateway Division, please visit http://www.gatewaynmra.org/default.htm.  They have a neat website and there’s a lot to see and learn there, so check it out when you have the time.

We’re building the “official” STL RPM photo site this week on Flickr.  We need a little time to get captions done and get the site ready for public viewing, and I’ll get that that site to you as soon as I can.  I’m sure other guys will be posting photos around the internet too.  Our old site—with photos from our first eight STL RPM meets—will remain on PBase at http://www.pbase.com/golden1014 .  We’ll slowly transition over to Flickr this year and will keep you informed as we open up new pages and sites.

Our friends at the Gateway NMRA were terrific as always, helping us arrange things and spread the word.  For more information on the NMRA’s Gateway Division, please visit http://www.gatewaynmra.org/default.htm.  They have a neat website and there’s a lot to see and learn there, so check it out when you have the time.

We’ll host another STL RPM in late July or early August 2016.  As soon as we get the dates set we’ll let you know.  We were bursting at the seams this year so next year we’ll plan to have more room, and more clinics, and make things bigger and better.  If you have some good ideas about making our event better, or need to let me know that something needs to be fixed, give me a shout at Golden1014@....

If you couldn’t attend St. Louis this year, try to make another RPM meet near you.  They’re held all over the country by committed teams of modelers, and they’re a great place to meet and learn.  A good list of all the RPM events can be found on Joe D'elia's RPM Website at http://www.railroadprototypemodelers.com/other.htm.

Yours Very Truly,
Lon Bathurst
Clark Propst
Dan Kohlberg
Dave Roeder
John Golden

riverman_vt@...

   And photos will be posted when John??

Thanks in advance, Don Valentine

golden1014

Hi Don,

They're posted right now on Flickr.  I don't have a link handy but you might be able to see them by searching for Golden1014 or STL RPM 2015. I am new to Flickr and don't know if the photos are publicly viewable yet, and have a lot of captions finished and organization to complete.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35369592@N06/sets/72157656596137919

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: STL RPM 2015 - Thanks!

Hi Don,

They're posted right now on Flickr. I don't have a link handy but you might
be able to see them by searching for Golden1014 or STL RPM 2015. I am new to
Flickr and don't know if the photos are publicly viewable yet, and have a
lot of captions finished and organization to complete.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

I didn¹t see anything from Moloco; he was supposed to be there with new
carsŠ.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Don,

They're posted right now on Flickr. I don't have a link handy but you might
be able to see them by searching for Golden1014 or STL RPM 2015. I am new to
Flickr and don't know if the photos are publicly viewable yet, and have a
lot of captions finished and organization to complete.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Oh great, now I'm REALLY bummed out that I couldn't go! What a
great display of models. Nice to see all the truck models too.
Thanks for posting so many pictures !

Tim O'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35369592@N06/sets/72157656596137919

Brian Ehni

They're posted right now on Flickr.  I don't have a link handy but you might
be able to see them by searching for Golden1014 or STL RPM 2015. I am new to
Flickr and don't know if the photos are publicly viewable yet, and have a
lot of captions finished and organization to complete.

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

dh30973

Having been to many RPM Meets; Naperville, Cocoa Beach, WPM, BAPM etc, this years St Louis meet has to be at or near the the top of the list. Granted there is only clinic going on at a time, BUT, everything is in ONE big room, vendors, historical societies, manufacturers, photo sellers, weathering, N Scale Module and 1950 plus models and food outside.. It gives people a chance to interact that didn't go off to a clinic. Two days for $25 plus one door prize ticket. They said they gave away 260 items to the 385 attendees. Pretty good odds.

The recent Naperville hotel is a hike from the clinic rooms to the almost empty Vendor room or Model room. You never see anyone. Cocoa Beach is better in that respect, but the model /vendor room is much smaller. Tim points out the social aspect of these meeets, and St Louis really accomplishes it.

Dave Hussey

No pictures from me this year

Clark Propst

Glad to hear positive reviews from RPM veterans Bill and Dave.
I am credited with being involved in the meet, but really I am not. I just complain and offer suggestions that are usually shot down. Although this year they did take my suggestion and offer a slide show Friday night for those not wishing to drive to the layout open houses. I can sit and watch slides till the wee hours, but my companions are not so inclined. After awhile we retired to the lobby for a few beers and chips and lots of BS until they threw us out.

I do not complain publicly about any of these events knowing a bit about what it takes to put one on. Mark Fedderson made table leg extensions for the model display tables at Naperville. Really helps get the models in front of you. I believe his idea was copied at Cocoa Beach? Because of the shear number of display tables at St Louis these extensions are impractical. Usually there are lots of chairs around so you can sit down to view the models. I am guessing that because of the growth of the event there seemed to be fewer chairs this year. Last year there was a stack of chairs at the back of the room you could grab. This year they were locked up. I found out the center charges $3 + – for each chair! Next year I am thinking of suggesting a admission hike to cover the cost of more chairs or being a folding chair of my own...
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Aley, Jeff A

I can confirm that I did indeed copy Mark’s idea for Cocoa Beach.   It was – and is -  a great idea!

Regards,

-Jeff

Mark Fedderson made table leg extensions for the model display tables at Naperville. Really helps get the models in front of you. I believe his idea was copied at Cocoa Beach? Because of the shear number of display tables at St Louis these extensions are impractical.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Tim O'Connor

How about just posting a STANDARD DESIGN for the leg supports and then
asking people to volunteer to bring a few supports to the show? I could
make enough for at least one table, I think, if they're not too complicated.

Tim O'Connor

Glad to hear positive reviews from RPM veterans Bill and Dave.

I am credited with being involved in the meet, but really I am not. I just complain and offer suggestions that are usually shot down. Although this year they did take my suggestion and offer a slide show Friday night for those not wishing to drive to the layout open houses. I can sit and watch slides till the wee hours, but my companions are not so inclined. After awhile we retired to the lobby for a few beers and chips and lots of BS until they threw us out.

I do not complain publicly about any of these events knowing a bit about what it takes to put one on. Mark Fedderson made table leg extensions for the model display tables at Naperville. Really helps get the models in front of you. I believe his idea was copied at Cocoa Beach? Because of the sheer number of display tables at St Louis these extensions are impractical. Usually there are lots of chairs around so you can sit down to view the models. I am guessing that because of the growth of the event there seemed to be fewer chairs this year. Last year there was a stack of chairs at the back of the room you could grab. This year they were locked up. I found out the center charges $3+ for each chair! Next year I am thinking of suggesting a admission hike to cover the cost of more chairs or being a folding chair of my own...

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Benjamin Hom

Tim'Connor wrote:
"How about just posting a STANDARD DESIGN for the leg supports and then
asking people to volunteer to bring a few supports to the show? I could
make enough for at least one table, I think, if they're not too complicated."

Great...just what I want to do...pack leg supports with the rest of my stuff when I fly into a meet.  Thanks.

Ben Hom

Aren¹t they just sections of PVC pipe cut to length?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: STL RPM 2015 - Thanks!

Tim'Connor wrote:
"How about just posting a STANDARD DESIGN for the leg supports and then
asking people to volunteer to bring a few supports to the show? I could
make enough for at least one table, I think, if they're not too
complicated."

Great...just what I want to do...pack leg supports with the rest of my stuff
when I fly into a meet. Thanks.

Ben Hom

Not all of us fly to shows, Mr. Jet Setter.