Topics

St Louis RPM

Clark Propst

There was a recent thread on early PS1 cars. I believe the CIL/MON 1-500 series was mentioned. Mont Switzer had his files on these cars with him at St L. I was fortunate enough to be able to write down all the particulars and buy an as built set of decals from him. My plan is to use the sides and frame from an old CCS PS1 flat kit. I don’t give a rat’s rear if the underframe is correct or not. And Branchline/IM parts for the ends, roof, doors. Simple outline, it’s more complicated than that. But, that’s my plan and I’m sticking with it.

The last couple of years I’ve seen a few “Old Breed” modelers at this meet. Old breed meaning N’ville/CCB “core” STMFC freight car guys. I’m curious as to what they thought of this meet beings it’s so different from the two before mentioned.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Pierre Oliver

This was my second time in St Louis.
Indeed a different event than Naperville. It's clear that Collinsville is growing and will be successful for some time to come. And it will no doubt evolve.
Will it supplant Naperville? There's the question for me. I heard a lot of rumour/fearmongering about the demise of Naperville.
To which I have to comment.
The RPMs are like RMC, they are contributor driven. The meets are only as good as the effort put forth and the energy of the speakers. If you're not seeing the kind of things you want to see, do a clinic, or find someone who can/will.
Constantly having the same core group of speakers is boring for the participants and the speakers suffer from burnout.
It's your hobby too. Get involved.
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 8/11/15 10:28 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] wrote:

There was a recent thread on early PS1 cars. I believe the CIL/MON 1-500 series was mentioned. Mont Switzer had his files on these cars with him at St L. I was fortunate enough to be able to write down all the particulars and buy an as built set of decals from him. My plan is to use the sides and frame from an old CCS PS1 flat kit. I don’t give a rat’s rear if the underframe is correct or not. And Branchline/IM parts for the ends, roof, doors. Simple outline, it’s more complicated than that. But, that’s my plan and I’m sticking with it.

The last couple of years I’ve seen a few “Old Breed” modelers at this meet. Old breed meaning N’ville/CCB “core” STMFC freight car guys. I’m curious as to what they thought of this meet beings it’s so different from the two before mentioned.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Tim O'Connor

Pierre

I'm not sure why, but attendance at Naperville last year was the lowest
I've ever experienced -- just over 200 people. I thought it might be the
economy, and also we had recently lost Richard Hendrickson, but it was
still a good meet with good clinics -- some definitely very good. But it
does seem like St Louis is attracting a higher energy crowd -- and it is
more centrally located. (I think the geographical "center" of the 48 states
is somewhere in Missouri.) And I like the August - January separation of
the St Louis from Cocoa Beach. Not to mention that October often has other
events in conflict with Naperville.

Food for thought...

Tim O'Connor

This was my second time in St Louis.
Indeed a different event than Naperville. It's clear that Collinsville is growing and will be successful for some time to come. And it will no doubt evolve.
Will it supplant Naperville? There's the question for me. I heard a lot of rumour/fearmongering about the demise of Naperville.
To which I have to comment.
The RPMs are like RMC, they are contributor driven. The meets are only as good as the effort put forth and the energy of the speakers. If you're not seeing the kind of things you want to see, do a clinic, or find someone who can/will.
Constantly having the same core group of speakers is boring for the participants and the speakers suffer from burnout.
It's your hobby too. Get involved.

Pierre Oliver

Douglas Harding

One of the big draws for attending Naperville was the opportunity to purchase Sunshine Kits and carry them home, esp when there was such a long waiting list for mail order and the frustration that Martin did not have an online presence for his business. I know I always went home with half a dozen or so and I saw others walk out with far more. With Martin’s death and the subsequent end of Sunshine Models, that attraction did not just diminished, it ended completely. Couple that with the higher costs, ie registration and possibly hotel, vs other locations, and it is easy to see why attendance has dropped. Of course today there are many RPMs offered around the country, so one no longer has to journey to Chicagoland to get their fix. Often they can get it much closer to home.

On a different note, it still amazes me that those who cannot or will not attend a RPM, still ask for copies of clinic presentations, ie they want a copy of my PowerPoint, the handout or the article. I just had such a request yesterday for an article published over 10 years ago. I try to accommodate when copyright, etc. allows, after all I have learned so much from many others.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tony Thompson

Doug Harding wrote:

One of the big draws for attending Naperville was the opportunity to purchase Sunshine Kits and carry them home, esp when there was such a long waiting list for mail order and the frustration that Martin did not have an online presence for his business. I know I always went home with half a dozen or so and I saw others walk out with far more. With Martin’s death and the subsequent end of Sunshine Models, that attraction did not just diminished, it ended completely. Couple that with the higher costs, ie registration and possibly hotel, vs other locations, and it is easy to see why attendance has dropped. Of course today there are many RPMs offered around the country, so one no longer has to journey to Chicagoland to get their fix. Often they can get it much closer to home.

    Very true, Doug, on both points. I believe that, compared to Martin, Joe D'elia has been much less proactive in finding new clinic presenters and also in broadening the program. My own impression is that overall Naperville clinic quality and diversity has diminished since he took over. Martin definitely did spend some effort in getting recommendations for new speakers, and did put on a very good program every year. Last year someone said they thought Joe was in "caretaker mode," and though I suspect Joe would be outraged at that, people within earshot were nodding.
     My own counterexample to Naperville would be Cocoa Beach. Consistently good program, strong attendance, strong model display, very good management so that everything runs smoothly. I wasn't at St. Louis RPM a week ago, so can't compare to that, but certainly in my mind, between Naperville and Cocoa, the Cocoa meeting has overtaken and passed Naperville.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Douglas Harding

Tony I concur on Cocoa Beach, having attended several times. Clinics are equivalent to Naperville, if not getting better. Plus for a mid-westerner, Florida in January just has a certain appeal. I think Martin’s connection with clinicians was because he was selling a product they desired, ie highly detailed resin freight cars. That gave him a list of contacts, and often via word of mouth from his customers, he got a line on great clinics. Joe’s business, while also model railroad supplies, caters to a different crowd (ie I can’t recall purchasing anything from Joe’s business in a long, long time.) And Joe is far removed from the mid-west modeling scene, and the locals who do make up a significant portion of the Naperville crowd.

I attend Naperville and St Louis because I can drive there in a few hours. Florida means at least half a day in airports and airplanes, as you well know. One of the great attractions of so many RPM now taking place is that more “locals” can attend one near them. It is no longer necessary to go to Naperville.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

Doug Harding wrote

> Tony I concur on Cocoa Beach ... locals ... make up a significant portion of
> the Naperville crowd ... It is no longer necessary to go to Naperville.

Hmmm... The only reason I originally met Richard Hendrickson, Tony Thompson, Tom Madden,
Bill Welch, Frank Hodina, Jerry Stewart, Andy Carlson, Dave Hussey, David Lehlbach, and
MANY other people -- many people who I now consider to be friends and not just pen pals,
is because I met them all at Naperville! I've gone to Cocoa and Timonium and Collinsville
(Connecticut!) and those are great places to meet people too.

I guess my point is that for me the big attraction is fellowship, not just information
sharing or show-and-tell and definitely not just a local swap meet. Heck, I met Staffan
Ehnbom at Naperville and he's from where, Sweden?

Anyway, let's not kill off having a Chicago-area national RPM meet. Chicago is a fantastic
railroad town and there are a LOT of attractions in the area as well as some of the world's
greatest model railroads -- Dan Holbrook's and Bill Darnaby's to name just two. I know that
several post-STMFC modelers stopped going to Naperville because they felt excluded when
Martin was running it, and that's not good for RPM. But the point about having the show be
run by someone local is a good one, I think. Mike Brock anchors Cocoa, John Golden has made
St Louis into a great event, David Owens is the energy behind Collinsville CT, and so on.
Hopefully someone in Chicago/Midwest will step up and put the energy back into that venue.

Tim O'Connor

riverman_vt@...

Actually Tim the geographical center of the lower 48 is somewhere in Kansas
but you are, as we used to say, close enough for highway, err make that railroad,
work. And cheer up as I couldn't make St. Louis/Collinsville either. Sort of like
the Boston Red Flops.....Wait until next year!

My best, Don Valentine

Brian Carlson

Before, I met Richard, Tony, Mont, Clark or anyone besides Bruce Smith, Larry Kline, and Ben Hom, my original purpose of going to Naperville was to purchase Sunshine kits.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Pierre

I'm not sure why, but attendance at Naperville last year was the lowest
I've ever experienced -- just over 200 people. I thought it might be the
economy, and also we had recently lost Richard Hendrickson, but it was
still a good meet with good clinics -- some definitely very good. But it
does seem like St Louis is attracting a higher energy crowd -- and it is
more centrally

Tim O'Connor

Before, I met Richard, Tony, Mont, Clark or anyone besides Bruce Smith, Larry Kline, and Ben Hom, my original purpose of going to Naperville was to purchase Sunshine kits.
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

lol -- to be sure -- Martin would bring thousands of kits and get cleaned
out in no time. Al Westerfield was also very active in the 1990's and early
2000's, and then Bob purchased the McCoy collection OMG !! there was a real
feeding frenzy. Not to mention our "clown car" trips to Des Plaines Hobbies.

But it's been what, almost 20 years, the world moves on. Lots of young modelers
who are as old NOW and we were THEN so they want to model what they saw with their
own eyes.. which means 1970+/- instead of 1950+/-

As Bill says it's incumbent on steam era guys to pay it forward -- If you have
an amazing photo collection, lots of data, or just want to talk about modeling
something you love, we've got to do it -- the clock is ticking.

Tim O'

Mikebrock

Tim O'Connor writes:

"But it's been what, almost 20 years, the world moves on. Lots of young modelers
who are as old NOW and we were THEN so they want to model what they saw with their
own eyes.. which means 1970+/- instead of 1950+/-"

Perhaps...and certainly I have no clue what someone is selling. However, don't sell steam TOO short. Apparently the recent reincarnation of ex-N&W 611 attracted an estimated 40,000 people to trackside in VA...very similar to what we saw when it first came out under steam. Add the similar reincarnation soon of the Santa Fe 2900 class and 4449's return not to mention others such as SR's 4501. And, of course, the totally unexpected return of Big Boy 4014 and you have to wonder. Me? I'm already reserving a room in Cheyenne for 2019.

Mike Brock

As Bill says it's incumbent on steam era guys to pay it forward -- If you have
an amazing photo collection, lots of data, or just want to talk about modeling
something you love, we've got to do it -- the clock is ticking.

Tim O'

Bill Welch

So, Tim have you got a tentative title for your presentation?

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Mike, no doubt about it, the DCC+sound steam locos are very popular
with the younger (i.e. under 40) club members. But they don't seem to
be interested beyond the "oooh" and "ahhh" appeal. RTR has to some
extent spoiled a generation of modelers, although many of them have
shown a real talent for severe weathering and graffiti !

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor writes:

[...]

Bill

Yes, it's called The Theory of Everything. People who cross the Event Horizon
into my clinic may never be heard from again until they are emitted as Gamma Rays.

Tim O'Connor

So, Tim have you got a tentative title for your presentation?

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

In other words your clinic is called "Hot Air."

Bill Welch