National B-1 trucks

George Courtney

  Tonight I found 4 pari of National B=1 trucks I didn't know I had. I'm modeling 1953.  My memory says the N&W and PRR used these under 52' gons.  Anyone suggest another two good prospects for these trucks as of 1953?  And if the N&W and PRR gons are incorrect, I welcomed being better informed.

Thanks,

George Courtney

SUVCWORR@...

George,

PRR used the following National trucks based on a PRR typed list of truck classes and classes of cars to which applies.  You can find the list at http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRFreightCarTrucks.html

National (no designation with plank)  X29, X37, X37a
National (no designation plankless) X29, X37, X37a
National A-1 G26, G30
National B-1 X41, X41b
National C-1 G32, G33, G37, X43a

Rich Orr

John Barry

Numerous Santa Fe cars including several series of Bx-37

John Barry

PRR used the following National trucks based on a PRR typed list of truck classes and classes of cars to which applies.  You can find the list at http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRFreightCarTrucks.html

National (no designation with plank)  X29, X37, X37a
National (no designation plankless) X29, X37, X37a
National A-1 G26, G30
National B-1 X41, X41b
National C-1 G32, G33, G37, X43a

Rich Orr

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

George,

WP GB gondolas 6501-6600 built in 1945 had B-1 trucks. Proto 2000 offered this car, though B-1 trucks were not included in the early kits. I don't know about later runs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/17/15 9:34 PM, gsc3@... [STMFC] wrote:

  Tonight I found 4 pari of National B=1 trucks I didn't know I had. I'm modeling 1953.  My memory says the N&W and PRR used these under 52' gons.  Anyone suggest another two good prospects for these trucks as of 1953?  And if the N&W and PRR gons are incorrect, I welcomed being better informed.

Thanks,

George Courtney

Scott H. Haycock

Some of the GN Plywood sheathed boxcars used them. See RPC Vol. 19

Scott Haycock

George,

WP GB gondolas 6501-6600 built in 1945 had B-1 trucks. Proto 2000 offered this car, though B-1 trucks were not included in the early kits. I don't know about later runs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Gene Green <genegreen1942@...>

From National Malleable and Steel Castings Company ads the following (listed below) have been identified.  You can no doubt fill in the number series on your own.
1938 - National Type B which is similar in appearance to B-1
IC reefer 50200
T&P 2-bay offset-side hoppper 9004
UP tank car 69005
CV double-sheathed box car 83454
CP steel box car 225305
KCS single-sheathed, double-door auto box car 20600
Soo Line ballast hopper 9701
PRR box car 70311
W&LE 2-bay offset-side hoppper 61599
Erie steel box car 78476
CB&Q straight-side, 2-bay hopper 192000
D&H single-sheathed box car but can't read number, maybe 17???
PFE reefer 72319
WP ballast hopper 10463
MRX Morrell's Pride wood-side reefer 5330
DM&IR ore car 24992
PTLX 3-compartment tank car 7819 (Tangent model ?)
D&H hopper type thingy 4302
ACL covered hopper 9259
T&P steel box car 40199
HOKX Hooker tank car 215
T&NO gondola (special purpose?) 43?15
PRR covered hopper 254514
Interstate straight-side, 2-bay hopper 5191
N&W 2-bay hopper 69517
SLRX St Louis Refrigerator 4833
LCIX Liquid Carbonic 1007
ITC drop-bottom, composite gondola 12018

1941 National Type B trucks
ACL steel auto box car 13299
ATSF steel box car 140775 blt 4-40

1942 National Type B-1 trucks introduced
SFRD reefer 36069 blt 5-40 (pictured in 1942 ad so B or B-1?)
Erie double-door box car built 1-42

The B-1 was advertised in 1945.  The C-1 was advertised in 1950 but my data includes nothing for 1946 through 1949 inclusive so I don't know the exact change date.
Gene Green

genegreen1942@...

WOW!  Good ol' Yahoo really messed up my nice neat column of freight cars.  Here's a second try.  If this doesn't work, I give up.

From National Malleable and Steel Castings Company ads I have identified the following listed below.  You can no doubt fill in the number series on your own.

[...]

brianleppert@att.net

I've just added a file, showing a National ad from the Aug. 30, 1941 Railway Age.  It shows both the Type B and B-1 trucks.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Harry Bilger

Can someone who has access to this information regarding GN boxcars with National B-1trucks share some car numbers with me if they are available, please?
Thanks in advance.

Harry Bilger
Denton, Texas
-----------------------

Re: National B-1 trucks

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Scott H. Haycock" haycockscott

Some of the GN Plywood sheathed boxcars used them. See RPC Vol. 19

Scott Haycock

Robert Heninger

Harry,

Here are the trucks used on the earliest series of GN plywood cars built 1944-45 at the GN's St. Cloud shops:

44025-44074 and 44950- 44999 National B-1, 44075- 44899 ASF A-3, 44900-44949 Barber Stabilized S-2

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

I’m currently working on some of my Atlas Hart Selective Ballast Hoppers in Santa Fe livery and I noted that the various classes came equipped with either National B-1 or ASF Ride Control trucks.

Cheers

Dave North

Rich Yoder

The National B type truck was introduced in 1931. – “It was designed to eliminate the spring plank, save weight and provide flexibility between the bolster and side frames”. This information came from one of the Car Builders Cyclopedia. It’s not in volume 13 (1931) Volume 14 (1937) has some illustrations of this truck. I don’t remember where I copied it from. Bob Karigs’ book “Coal Cars - The Frist Three Hundred Years” also covers this truck and many others.

If anyone is interested in more information about National B-1 trucks, please contact me off this list.

Sincerely,

Rich Yoder