From: "frograbbit602@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:43 AM
Subject: [STMFC] casting adhesive

When making a mold out of two part rubber to use to cast a resin part, I use a styrene made mold box into which I attach the master to the floor of the box. After mixing the two part rubber I pour it in over the master.   I have always used rubber cement to attach a master to the floor of the mold box.   When making a mold this past week I had a master which was the side of a reefer rise into the rubber on one end of the mold.   The rubber cement did not hold this time.  So began thinking there may be a better product to use to attach the master part rather then rubber cement.   I am asking those of you who make molds what adhesive you use, if any, to attach a master to the mold box form if used.
Lester Breuer

Charles Morrill

Unless I wanted the pattern to be permanently mounted on the mold box bottom, I used plain white wood glue.  Also used white glue to hold the box sides on the bottom.  Easy clean up and not effected by the RTV.
Charlie

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:43 PM

When making a mold out of two part rubber to use to cast a resin part, I use a styrene made mold box into which I attach the master to the floor of the box. After mixing the two part rubber I pour it in over the master.   I have always used rubber cement to attach a master to the floor of the mold box.   When making a mold this past week I had a master which was the side of a reefer rise into the rubber on one end of the mold.   The rubber cement did not hold this time.  So began thinking there may be a better product to use to attach the master part rather then rubber cement.   I am asking those of you who make molds what adhesive you use, if any, to attach a master to the mold box form if used.

Lester Breuer

Tom Madden

My mold frames are made from 3/4" thick laminated shelving material and are reusable. I attach my patterns to the mold bases with double-sided paper tape. I use both 2" and 3/4" widths. For open-face molds I not only don't bother cutting the paper tape to the outline of the part, I completely cover the mold base with it. The adhesive doesn't inhibit the cure of the silicone rubber, and the surface of the resulting mold is even with the back side of your part so the flash is thinner. That's for tin catalyzed (condensation cure) silicones. For platinum catalyzed (reaction cure) silicones it probably will inhibit the cure.

Tom Madden