Topics

Rattle can boxcar red

mopacfirst

I have often felt that it's too much trouble to get out the airbrush when I'm painting small detail parts, for instance trucks and couplers.  I may paint, for instance, a dozen Kadee couplers by putting them on masking tape so the business end sticks out, or a couple pairs of trucks for current projects, by whipping out the rattle can.

Black, no problem.  In the post-Floquil world, I have Testors Model Master and even Krylon flat black that work perfectly well.

Boxcar red, ummmm.  I have a dwindling supply of a couple of cans of Floquil, but I'd like to convert for future use.  And, even better, would be if there are a couple other reds available.  At least, for a steam-era modeler, those blacks and reds are pretty much the color palette for bulk painting.

All I see in the various paint lines are really red reds, tending toward fire engine red.  Even the military lines don't seem to have much.  And most of these colors are gloss, which I would rather not use.  I've found a couple of Testors colors in a bottle, which suit me pretty well for painting underframe details, lift bars and so on.  And, I'm primarily using Tru-Color for general brush painting.  But couplers and trucks, especially, really need to be sprayed.

Bear in mind, I can't see reds very well due to my colorblindness, which is a specific type that doesn't pick up reds.  I also can't see pastels and fine color variations very well, so I need more help than average.

I've read some previous threads on this issue and didn't really find anything that was of much use to me, for the rattle can problem.  Suggestions are welcome.

Ron Merrick

Pierre Oliver

Check out the primer red colours. There seems to be a good variety in that colour
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 8/23/15 6:58 PM, ron.merrick@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

al_brown03

I use rattle cans whenever I can, due to my utter lack of any skill with an airbrush. I find that Scalecoat II BCR is a similar color to Floquil BCR, but of course Scalecoat is glossy where Floquil was dead flat. (I don't know of a currently-offered flat BCR, so I don't really know whether this post is responsive to Mr Merrick or not.) Anyway, Scalecoat II BCR weathers funny, too: Floquil BCR could be weathered nicely with powdered chalks, but chalks on Scalecoat II BCR disappear when hit with Dullcote. To weather Scalecoat II BCR requires Bragdon powders, which I think of as the cavalry of weathering. :-) (When chalks won't weather, Bragdon to the rescue! <music>)

Once Scalecoat II BCR is weathered, though, it's essentially indistinguishable from Floquil BCR weathered.

Curiously, Scalecoat II *Oxide* Red weathers A-O-K with powdered chalks. I have no idea why the difference.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Richard Townsend

Krylon makes a "Primer" in a color that looks like a pretty good boxcar red to me. I have used it and am happy with the results.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

[...]

Eric Hansmann

Ron,

I use a few steps to paint trucks. I've been using craft paint to add color, usually by rolling a Q-Tip with the color onto the surface. More detail can be found here on my blog.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Aug 23, 2015, at 4:58 PM, ron.merrick@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Peck

I use Krylon and Rustoleum primers for old rust and aged brick colors. Quite flat and
a lot cheaper than most model paints. Not quite as oxide red as some like.
Rustoleum also has a black primer with a flat weathered black look.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM, ron.merrick@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Krylon Primer -- that's a good hint.  I'll look for it.

Ron Merrick

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Never having mastered the air brush (I do have one), I still use spray cans. Several years ago I began building a huge collection of mineral red primers from hardware stores, paint shops and auto parts stores. Many of these paints are very high quality, and behave better than model paints (Scalecoat is rather runny and dries slowly, while Floquil had a lot of cans that wouldn't spray at all). I made up 3X5 cards from styrene and sprayed a sample of each paint, with a piece of adhesive tape across the bottom to leave a white area to write the brand and stock number of the paint, as well as notes on problems and what upon models I had used that particular paint. I keep the cards in a convenient plastic file box I can take shopping to avoid buying stuff I already have.

I find that for some uses, craft store acrylics like Apple Barrel and even Martha Stewart are very useful applied with a brush (remember those?). These are especially handy for black ends on assembled boxcars, and also for general weathering. They can be easily blended.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff