DL&W 51000 Series Boxcars

John Sykes III

OK, let me try this here (cross-posted from DL&W Modeling site).

I have a pair of 51000 series AAR 1937 DL&W boxcars (Yardmaster -- layout quality).  They both came with black ends and roofs.  The second one, I just got today (51326) hasn't been built yet and I have spare Branchline/ Yardmaster ends and roofs that are unpainted.  I also squirreled away some Champ DL&W decals as they were closing up shop a few years ago.

The question is, for the 1953 -- 1955 time period that I model (pre-Lackawanna billboard) are the black ends and roofs correct?  Since I have spares and decals I can at least correct the second car and make it all brown.  Mike Del Vecchio, what sayest you?

Also, I think these cars had wood running boards, but the 1952 diagram book doesn't say (it does say they had diamond-plate metal brake platforms).

If the answer is brown, I will do this one right and then might go back and mask the roof and ends on the other one and try to correct it -- assuming they were not supposed to be black.

-- John

MDelvec952

The ends on this series of car were brown. The black ends didn't start until the 54000-series.  The running boards should be wood.

The years 1953-1955 were squarely in the Phoebe Snow billboard era and non-billboard cars then were old and rare. Mid-1955 began the bigger bolder billboard

I wasn't crazy about the artwork or paint on the Branchline cars, so I never bought one, favoring the many IMWX cars that were already in my collection at the time.

Happy modeling, John,                    ....Mike Del Vecchio

[...]

Mike:

Then it is safe to assume that the roofs were brown too (no black roof cement)?  I think I could see from some of the pics that galvanized roofs (later) were left unpainted.

--John

P.S.  IMWX made some nice cars, but all mine are undec's.  Or did you decal yours?  If so, where the heck did you get DL&W boxcar decals??? Champs (I have some) were the 1955 scheme.

P.P.S.  I've had lots of parts broken off by the ham-fister members of the RR club down here, they do not appreciate prototype models.

MDelvec952

Roofage was brown; Glidden No.204 standard brown according to the bill of materials records via Ed Hawkins.

IMWX offered the DL&W cars in the as-delivered 49000-series. I have a couple of sets of each number, and a bunch of undecs that I painted using the same Dupont Centari paint we mixed to match original fabric while restoring our DL&W caboose. The best decals for DL&W at the time were the CDS try transfers, which are opaque and look great. Prime Mover Decals has (or will have) good decals.

The IMWX cars out of the box are only correct for the 49000-series. The 51000-series cars did not have poling pockets, though they were the first cars to wear the Phoebe billboard.

I have duplicate numbers and won't build them all. But if you want one send me your address off list and I'll mail you one.

               ....Mike Del Vecchio