Funaro & Camerlengo kit box chronology(?)

hvyweight41

I have been purchasing F&C kits from different secondhand sources and begun to see that there are different styles of boxes. I assume they have changed over time.

I describe the different styles as:
white box - one piece folded box with text paper label on the end
blue box - two piece box with blue lid and text paper label on the end
picture box - two piece box with white lid and printed label with picture of the built model on top of lid

Also, I have one kit in a plastic bag with a F&C label. I remember reading, here, that the bagged kits were sold by F&C at train shows and meets. I have searched through the messages, files and photos, but have not been able to find anything that talks to the evolution of the F&C kit box.

Has anyone documented what box was used when? I assume the picture box is the current version, based on the new kits I see being sold.

Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL

PS I apologize if this is a repeat. I tried a couple days ago and my browser restarted when I hit <send>. I have waited to see if it showed up, but have not seen it.

Bill Welch

Currently they are using or experimenting using a "U-Line" box from what I saw at Collinsville. It is smaller than the box Speedwitch uses IIRC.

Bill Welch

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Keith,

F&C has used a number of boxes over the years, but I never paid much attention to what was around the kit. I suspect that they have bought whatever boxes are available at the best price, so in-stock kits may come in several types depending upon what was available at the time the kit was produced.

Some of the older kits, including those made for the Steam Shack, came in a one-piece box similar to a pizza carton, where the lid was attached, and closed with a tongue inserted into the compartment. These are strong enough to be used as shipping cartons in their own right. When I bought one of their War Emergency 40' gondolas a few years ago, it too came in this box. Perhaps they were still using up old boxes. Current production comes in a white box with a separate lid and a photo of the car on the top, I assume what you call a "picture box". These are similar to the Athearn blue boxes or those used by Tichy, but they are not covered with paper, so you can see the seams and corner re-enforcements.

The bagged kits have been offered for years, and are still available for many of the flat kits, generally the older ones.

You should become familiar with their web site: http://www.fandckits.com/ .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 9/3/15 8:03 PM, hvyweight41@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

PS I apologize if this is a repeat. I tried a couple days ago and my browser restarted when I hit . I have waited to see if it showed up, but have not seen it.

Clark Propst

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Charles Peck

Clark, just run all your boxes through the trash compactor.
They will all be the same size then and leave you more room
for kits you might build someday.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Mark Drake <markstation01@...>

I can not believe this is being discussed any further

Clark, just run all your boxes through the trash compactor.
They will all be the same size then and leave you more room
for kits you might build someday.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Brian Carlson

The Boxes are of no real consequence as long as the resin is white you are good to go.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Armand Premo

I save all the boxes.I keep the cars not being used  in boxes on book shelves.In each box I have a car card with information such as  source,cost, purchase date,matching paint,weight, trucks ,couplers,repairs,last date on layout and value.And they are safe and do not collect dust.Armand Premo

Clark, just run all your boxes through the trash compactor.
They will all be the same size then and leave you more room
for kits you might build someday.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

No virus found in this message.

Pierre Oliver

Armand, you're not alone.
I too save kit boxes, as do a couple of my clients.
For me it was a good thing, when we decided to move last winter, packing the rolling stock was made far easier by having all the boxes.
And when the time comes for my collection to be sold it'll be a little easier with all those boxes.
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

[...]

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

Insurance companies don't like a lot of boxes lying around. They become fire hazards. I do not keep empty boxes, the risk is to great

Dale Florence

Clark, just run all your boxes through the trash compactor.
They will all be the same size then and leave you more room
for kits you might build someday.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

No virus found in this message.

Tony Thompson

Insurance companies don't like a lot of boxes lying around. They become fire hazards. I do not keep empty boxes, the risk is to great

    They probably don't like paint and solvents around, either; better get rid of them all. And books and magazines are flammable, so they really better go too. In fact, clothing and bedding burns pretty well, so you will want to remove most or all of those items too. Eventually you might be fire-safe.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

We saw our insurance agent yesterday because our house reno was done.  What with attaching the garage and adding wood floors throughout, our insurance went up 20%.  So in keeping with Tony’s plan, remove all wood from the interior and exterior of the house. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 12:09 PM

Insurance companies don't like a lot of boxes lying around. They become fire hazards. I do not keep empty boxes, the risk is to great

    They probably don't like paint and solvents around, either; better get rid of them all. And books and magazines are flammable, so they really better go too. In fact, clothing and bedding burns pretty well, so you will want to remove most or all of those items too. Eventually you might be fire-safe.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Armand Premo

The idea Dale is to protect the items from damage.Keeping good records should help you were you to have a loss of your valuable collection.All  would be itemized.The boxes would not be empty.Armand Premo

[...]

I don't know about exploding paint and solvents, I only use acryilics. About all the other stuff, I am guilty

Insurance companies don't like a lot of boxes lying around. They become fire hazards. I do not keep empty boxes, the risk is to great

    They probably don't like paint and solvents around, either; better get rid of them all. And books and magazines are flammable, so they really better go too. In fact, clothing and bedding burns pretty well, so you will want to remove most or all of those items too. Eventually you might be fire-safe.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

hvyweight41

First, thank you to all for your inciteful and helpful responses to my inquiry.

I would like to ask about "white resin" and why it is "good to go". Are the yellow resin kits a problem? What about grey?

Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL

---In STMFC@..., <prrk41361@...> wrote :

The Boxes are of no real consequence as long as the resin is white you are good to go.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Keith – Gray resin is white resin with black dye added.  - Al Westerfield

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 9:05 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Funaro & Camerlengo kit box chronology(?)

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

The Boxes are of no real consequence as long as the resin is white you are good to go.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

hvyweight41

Thank you Al. As a man with many years of resin experience, can you tell me if there is any color or type of resin I should avoid or be concerned about? Is there a good source for learning "all things resin"? Keith Kempster

Schuyler Larrabee

Armand, I wish I’d started such a list years and years ago, but is it just a card file?  Why not on the computer (with a backup program such as Carbonite) in case of fire?

And Clark, you can buy uniform boxes.  Reboxx at least used to have kit-sized boxes.  But I understand, the “original box” notion . . .

Schuyler

[...]

 There are actually two cards.One for maintenance / inventory purposes and the other for operation.Both cards are preprinted.The one that remains with the car in its' box and the other strictly for operation,the ones with the pocket.Armand Premo----- Original Message -----

Clark, just run all your boxes through the trash compactor.

They will all be the same size then and leave you more room

for kits you might build someday.

Chuck Peck in FL

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, cepropst@q.com [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

One of the kits I bought at the St Louis RPM is a different shape than what I’ve bought the last few years, more square. I like my boxes uniform, so I can stack the empty boxes by manufacturer on shelving under the layout. And to think my wife says I’m anal??

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

O Fenton Wells

Accurail sells very nice kit boxes.  They are on their on line catalog sheet.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane