MONON box cars

Thomas Baker

Group,

I have seen a photo of a MONON 50-foot double-door box car.  From looking at the photo, I would say the doors are seven foot each, leaving an opening of fourteen feet for loading.  The number on the car is 1271.  Would cars in this series have a diagonal panel roof or a rectangular panel roof?

Tom Baker

Michael Aufderheide

Tom,

This car is from Monon series 1200-1299 built in April 1948.  They had Murphy diagonal panel roofs.  They had two 8ft doors with a clear opening of 15'-10".  The Monon Society offers Branchline kits of these cars.

Scale Model Kits

The cars were renumbered early into three different series that had load restraints:

1301-1320, left door welded shut, Evans DF restraints.
1401-1480, left door welded shut, (4) Evans DF Bars
1481, Webster Loaders

Later the 1401 series was further re-numbered into various 1500 number series with various Evans restraints.  It always amazes me that they welded the second door shut so soon.  It was a mystery for a long time which cars these were because the diagrams only show one door.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Craig Zeni

2. MONON box cars
Posted by: "Thomas Baker" bakert@andrews.edu northstarlimited
Date: Fri Sep 4, 2015 7:16 am ((PDT))

Group,

I have seen a photo of a MONON 50-foot double-door box car. From looking at the photo, I would say the doors are seven foot each, leaving an opening of fourteen feet for loading. The number on the car is 1271. Would cars in this series have a diagonal panel roof or a rectangular panel roof?
Probably photo of 1571...from my buddy Jim Smith, Monon freight car guy:

MON 1271 is a 40 foot car w/ a 6 foot door -- and marked for appliance loading at appliance park, KY

MON 1371 is a 50' w/ 8' door

MON 1500-1599 were double door cars; had 7.5' doors (15' opening). Had diag panel roofs.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Allan Smith

The photo being refered to in the original post is  CIL 1271 blt 4-42 photo from the collection of Ken Harstine. The data reads 50' L 10'6" IH.
I can't find this car in any of the ORER's I have. 1944,1952,1953,1958.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Friday, September 4, 2015 4:52 PM, "mononinmonon@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Tom,

This car is from Monon series 1200-1299 built in April 1948.  They had Murphy diagonal panel roofs.  They had two 8ft doors with a clear opening of 15'-10".  The Monon Society offers Branchline kits of these cars.

Scale Model Kits

The cars were renumbered early into three different series that had load restraints:

1301-1320, left door welded shut, Evans DF restraints.
1401-1480, left door welded shut, (4) Evans DF Bars
1481, Webs! ter Loaders

Later the 1401 series was further re-numbered into various 1500 number series with various Evans restraints.  It always amazes me that they welded the second door shut so soon.  It was a mystery for a long time which cars these were because the diagrams only show one door.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Chad Boas

Also, #1271 was assigned to Globe Industries in Lowell Indiana.

Chad Boas

Schuyler Larrabee

Mike Aufderheide wrote:

Tom,

This car is from Monon series 1200-1299 built in April 1948.  They had Murphy diagonal panel roofs.  They had two 8ft doors with a clear opening of 15'-10".  The Monon Society offers Branchline kits of these cars.

Scale Model Kits

Scale Model Kits

Scale Model Kits Monon Society Exclusives! A Note About Credit Cards We use PayPal to process our credit card payments. You DO NOT have to be a member of PayPal to take advantage of this service.

Preview by Yahoo

And having looked at the kits on this page, I’d like to commend the Monon group for offering these kits AND telling the consumer the built date for the specific car numbers they offer.  Modeling, as I do (or try to) “the early 50’s (as many on this list do) it’s possible to order cars that will fit in that time frame, and NOT to order cars that were “not built yet.”

This is true for all but what appear to be the latest kits offered.  Perhaps those cars could also be so annotated.

Schuyler

Michael Aufderheide

Al,

It is not showing up in the first ORER you mention because the build date is 4/47, not 42.  These were the Monon's first 50 foot boxcars.  As I mentioned, they were renumbered out of the 1200 series quickly, so the cars are in the 1300, 1400 & 1500 series and are not listed under 1200 later.  The Monon did have a series of 40 foot cars in appliance service that were renumbered out of the 9000 series into the 1201-1225 in 1947.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide