MKT boxcar color and slogan circa 1947-1948?..

bill stanton

Were MKT steel boxcars painted all yellow and did they have the slogan "Serves the Southwest Well" in 1947?

Were earlier single sheathed boxcars repainted yellow as well?

(My understanding is that the slogan omitted the "Well" when first used and the sides, roofs, and ends were yellow)

rob.mclear3@...

I would like to know something about this as well, I model Cajon Pass in 47 and would like to get hold of some genuine yellow MKT cars but I don't know who if anyone makes or made them apparently the new release from Intermountain with the double doors is not correct and a phoobie.

Regards
Rob McLear
Australia.

---In STMFC@..., <bill_stanton60@...> wrote :

Were MKT steel boxcars painted all yellow and did they have the slogan "Serves the Southwest Well" in 1947?

Were earlier single sheathed boxcars repainted yellow as well?

(My understanding is that the slogan omitted the "Well" when first used and the sides, roofs, and ends were yellow)

bill stanton

what is incorrect about the intermountain model? (since, of course, I just bought one!)

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Were MKT steel boxcars painted all yellow and did they have the slogan "Serves the Southwest Well" in 1947?

Were earlier single sheathed boxcars repainted yellow as well?

(My understanding is that the slogan omitted the "Well" when first used and the sides, roofs, and ends were yellow)

Bill Welch

We all probably have our own definition of what constitutes "iconic" but in my modeling universe I consider the MKT single sheathed yellow boxcars an iconic freight car. Twenty plus years ago I used the then new Accurail 8-panel SS boxcar with wood door, Murphy end and Hutchins roof to model one version of the MKT cars substituting strip styrene to create the center sill and carving off the side ladders and using Detail Associates NBW's and wire grabs. The Herald King furnished the decals including "Be Careful" for each end of the sides. I do  not remember what yellow I used.

John Miller from this list recently announced that he acquired a large number of HK decals and maybe he has some MKT sets and undec Accurail cars are easy to come by.

Speedwitch has since offered a second version of an MKT SS and I think Sunshine offered the version I did as well as doing their Steel DD autocar, the prototype for which probably provoked IM to issue their foobie.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Herald King makes the MKT decals for the 40 steel double door car in both black for the yellow car and the green express box.  You may be able to 'kluge' these for other cars.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

bill stanton

what is wrong with the recently released IM/Red Caboose car (it seems to match data in my 1949 ORER)?

[...]

Didn't Speedwitch offer this car in resin Bill, and with the correct decals?

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

bill stanton

don't know about decals, but still wondering what is wrong with IM car?