Topics

CNW 77666 rebuit war emergency boxcar

Benjamin Scanlon

One of Ted Culotta's photos shows a CNW boxcar, what I believe to be a war emergency boxcar, since the number falls in the 77416-77748 series, that has been rebuilt with steel sides but retaining the bracing, and originally a wider door (8' or 9' maybe?), hence the two Pratt truss panels nearest the door on either side are narrower, and retaining a Viking roof.  There's a picture here showing another car with perhaps the original rebuilt condition:

http://rr-fallenflags.org/cnw/cnw80158alr.jpg

77666 seems to have been modified again to return it to a 6' Youngstown style door, this meant that a section of horizontally ribbed and riveted steel was inserted to the right where the extra 3' (??) of wider door had been, so the new 6' door is off centre.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the history of this (to me anyway) rather extraordinary looking boxcar. What it was modified for, and back again. Whether it was part of a series of similarly modified cars, or a real one-off?

Regards

Ben Scanlon

London, England

Dennis Storzek

Ben,

I don't have the pic you are talking about, but I recall seeing pix of these cars where the original doors were widened by adding a portion of a second door, so it would cover the wider opening. Could this be what you are looking at?

The C&NW wasn't called the "Cheap & Nothing Wasted" for nuttin' :-)

There were very similar cars in the 79xxx series. I have photos of 79344,
79382, 79504, 79742, 79744, and 79824

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: CNW 77666 rebuit war emergency boxcar

Ben,

I don't have the pic you are talking about, but I recall seeing pix of these
cars where the original doors were widened by adding a portion of a second
door, so it would cover the wider opening. Could this be what you are
looking at?

The C&NW wasn't called the "Cheap & Nothing Wasted" for nuttin' :-)

mopacfirst

I saw a few of these cars in my early railfan days -- just about the most extensively altered cars I ever saw that were still somewhat recognizable from what they were.

The Intermountain car models their original state.

Ron Merrick

Clark Propst

According to the CNW color book they were built in 43-44 and rebuilt in 63.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Seth Lakin

Both Intermountain and Sunshine offers kits for the CNW war emergency boxcars.

From the Sunshine Models data sheet for the 1943 built War-Emergency boxcars.
CNW 77416-77748 (Even numbers) Pullman, Viking Roof, Youngstown Door, Apex Running Board
CNW 77750-78248 (Even numbers) Pullman, Viking Roof, Superior Door, Apex Running Board
CNW 79250-80250 (Even numbers) ACF Murphy Panel Roof, Superior Door, Gypsum Running Board

The 79250-80250 (even) was rebuilt by the CNW in 1963, keeping the same car numbers. The cars were resheathed with steel and the door opening was stretched to 9 foot. The doors were also stretched by adding a three foot section to the center of the door.

A 1971 ORER shows 454 of the 79250-80250 series, while the a 1978 issue shows 0.

Another picture of a rebuilt car appears here

The rebuilt has been on my hopefully some day project for a few years. However there may be a resin kit out there but I have not been able to find it. In the recent modeling press, in an advertisement for a right angle clamp, there appears to be a side and an end in the clamp for the rebuilt boxcar.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN