Erie's rebuilt steel boxcars

D. Scott Chatfield

I don't recall ever seeing any discussion of these cars. They appear to have been steel underframe single-sheathed boxes that have had steel panels added to the outside of the original trusses. Or were they double-sheathed cars? It looks like the steel panels are one big piece running from the ends to the door posts, and with little in the way of attachments to the sides they didn't add any strength.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Erie-71267-rebuilt-steel-box-car-8x10-photo-/371441648916?hash=item567ba5c514&nma=true&si=Tbo8znnV%252FYaw2fBfzubIP5W4oKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Erie-71376-rebuilt-steel-box-car-8x10-photo-/371441647675?hash=item567ba5c03b&nma=true&si=Tbo8znnV%252FYaw2fBfzubIP5W4oKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like that's a wood-braced end.

They'd make an interesting model.

Scott Chatfield

al_brown03

There's a Speedwitch kit of these cars (K121).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bill Welch

Indeed a Speedwitch model. The Erie sold ten of them to West India Fruit. I cannot remember the reporting marks for the other RR in North Carolina but it's Herald displayed a tobacco leaf and declared it "The Tobacco Route." Seems like there was a third RR but cannot remember what it was, ACY maybe.

Bill Welch

gn999gn

Bill -  That would be correct.  Ten to WIF&SC.

In addition, several sold to ACY in the 200 number series,  and several to CIM in the 500 number series.

Ron dePierre

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I have built this model and it is very nice.  I believe the "tobacco route" was the Atlantic and East Carolina.

I painted and lettered mine for AC&Y; Richard Hendrickson was kind enough to provide photos from his collection and Jerry Glow made the decals for me.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

To: "STMFC"
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 6:20:55 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Erie's rebuilt steel boxcars

Indeed a Speedwitch model. The Erie sold ten of them to West India Fruit. I cannot remember the reporting marks for the other RR in North Carolina but it's Herald displayed a tobacco leaf and declared it "The Tobacco Route." Seems like there was a third RR but cannot remember what it was, ACY maybe.

Bill Welch

ed_mines

Car ends?

See Fallen Flags>Erie Lack.>freight cars>box cars>70301

Some also went to a Mexican railroad. Charles Winters offered a photo of one of these.

Ed Mines

Might have been Atlantic & East Carolina.  I think the logo had a tobacco leaf.

---In STMFC@..., <radepierre@...> wrote :

In addition, several sold to ACY in the 200 number series,  and several to CIM in the 500 number series.

Ron dePierre

Norm Buckhart

all those A&EC cars were hand me downs from parent Southern RR with sq corners.  Protocraft has A&EC decals in O scale for these.  Norm Buckhart

On Sep 30, 2015, at 10:16 AM, mguill1224@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Might have been Atlantic & East Carolina.  I think the logo had a tobacco leaf.

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Ron dePierre

John Sutkus

Bill,
That would be A&EC, the Atlantic & East Carolina Railway, the Tobacco Belt Route.
John Sutkus

Eric Hansmann

Can anyone offer a date when the Erie rebuilt these cars?

Were these originally single-sheathed or double-sheathed box cars? I assume they
were DS cars, but verification is a good thing.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On September 30, 2015 at 9:33 AM "radepierre@... [STMFC]"
<STMFC@...> wrote:

Bill - That would be correct. Ten to WIF&SC.
In addition, several sold to ACY in the 200 number series, and several to
CIM in the 500 number series.

Ron dePierre
Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

ed_mines

Mid '30s. I have the diagrams packed up. Announcement in the Erie magazine too.

Were originally door and a half single sheathed box cars built in the late '20s or early '30s. A few of the cars were converted to single door, single sheathed box cars which were numbered in the 84000 series in the '40s.

The original single sheathed cars had tongue & groove roofs.

Ted (you remember him, right?) sent me a photocopy of an actual blueprint  of the original single sheathed cars from the builder (packed up somewhere). My recollection is that at least some of the original cars were built by standard steel, Keith Retterer offered a photo & Ted recently sold a copy of this photo on e bay.

Ed Mines

rob.mclear3@...

---In STMFC@..., <eric@...> wrote :

Can anyone offer a date when the Erie rebuilt these cars?

If you put the cursor on the picture and blow it up the build date on the side of the car is 2-30 or 2-33 I can't quite make out the last number properly.

Rob McLear.