Erie's rebuilt steel boxcars

D. Scott Chatfield

I don't recall ever seeing any discussion of these cars. They appear to have been steel underframe single-sheathed boxes that have had steel panels added to the outside of the original trusses. Or were they double-sheathed cars? It looks like the steel panels are one big piece running from the ends to the door posts, and with little in the way of attachments to the sides they didn't add any strength.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Erie-71267-rebuilt-steel-box-car-8x10-photo-/371441648916?hash=item567ba5c514&nma=true&si=Tbo8znnV%252FYaw2fBfzubIP5W4oKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Erie-71376-rebuilt-steel-box-car-8x10-photo-/371441647675?hash=item567ba5c03b&nma=true&si=Tbo8znnV%252FYaw2fBfzubIP5W4oKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like that's a wood-braced end.

They'd make an interesting model.

Scott Chatfield

al_brown03

There's a Speedwitch kit of these cars (K121).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bill Welch

Indeed a Speedwitch model. The Erie sold ten of them to West India Fruit. I cannot remember the reporting marks for the other RR in North Carolina but it's Herald displayed a tobacco leaf and declared it "The Tobacco Route." Seems like there was a third RR but cannot remember what it was, ACY maybe.

Bill Welch

gn999gn

Bill -  That would be correct.  Ten to WIF&SC.

In addition, several sold to ACY in the 200 number series,  and several to CIM in the 500 number series.

Ron dePierre

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I have built this model and it is very nice.  I believe the "tobacco route" was the Atlantic and East Carolina.

I painted and lettered mine for AC&Y; Richard Hendrickson was kind enough to provide photos from his collection and Jerry Glow made the decals for me.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD