"reverse Buckeye" as far as I know.

No models that I know of.

ed_mines

Inverse Buckeye.

No exact models.

Ed Mines

ed_mines

Sorry, meant to write inverse Buckeye.

Impressions are neither totally in or out of the plane of the end.

Ed Mines

hayden_tom@...

Atlas makes a '32 ARA boxcar with "buckeye" ends. See this listing and then scroll down to see the "Buckeye" options

Atlas HO 1932 ARA Box Car

Does anyone know if these "buckeye" ends match the photo in teh original post?

Tom Hayden

Don Burn

They don't match, for one thing the buckeye ends on the '32 ARA car are not inverse buckeye.

Don Burn

Atlas makes a '32 ARA boxcar with "buckeye" ends. See this listing and then scroll down to see the "Buckeye" options

Atlas HO 1932 ARA Box Car <http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm>
image <http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm>
Atlas HO 1932 ARA Box Car <http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm>
A goal of the American Railway Association (ARA) in the early 1920s was to produce an all-steel box car that could be recognized as a standa...
View on www.atlasrr.com <http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm>
Preview by Yahoo

Does anyone know if these "buckeye" ends match the photo in teh original post?

Tom Hayden

ed_mines

Yes, you're right; they don't match.

No one has ever made an in and out Buckeye end.

Red Ball, Roller Bearing, Sunshine & F&C have all made Buckeye ends.

I think the Atlas car is a nice model.

There are good photos of these cars (75500-75999) on the fallen flags site. Note the climax round roof.

The earlier series (75000-75499) has a body similar to a Red Caboose Pennsy X29 with that climax round

roof.

Atlas's 1932 ARA C&O has this roof but I've never had one to see if the roof would fit a Red Caboose shell.

The roof in F&Cs model of this same car is too short and could be a little wider.

Ed Mines

Rhbale@...

Don Hanley wrote an in-depth article on building a series of Erie HO boxcars. The article includes detailed information and photos of the Buckeye ends and how to scratch build them. The four-part article began in the April 2013 edition of Model Railroad Hobbyist. It can be accessed free at http://mrhpub.com/2013-04-apr/land/#/57/zoomed.

Richard Bale

In a message dated 10/1/2015 1:23:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

"reverse Buckeye" as far as I know.

No models that I know of.

>Does this boxcar end have a name? Any models of said end?
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Erie-75656-1923-ARA-design-box-car-8x10-builders-photo-/371433789543?hash=item567b2dd867&nma=true&si=Tbo8znnV%252FYaw2fBfzubIP5W4oKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
>
>Scott Chatfield

Bill Welch

With a creative use of modeling clay, rubber molds, and resin I bet there is a way to use existing Buckeye ends to create the inverted versoin if it is simply a reversed impression/stamping of the more common "out" end.

Good thing to bring up with experienced pattern makers and casters Tom Madden, Aaron Gjermundson and Andy Carlson at the Lisle RPM

Bill Welch

Brian Carlson

They are not that similar. Biggest issue is the panel seam. The later Buckeyes (used on 1932 ARA cars) have the panel seam in the valley between corrugations. The earier Buckeyes had the seam on a wider flat corrugation.

Brian J. Carlson

On Oct 1, 2015, at 3:11 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

With a creative use of modeling clay, rubber molds, and resin I bet there is a way to use existing Buckeye ends to create the inverted versoin if it is simply a reversed impression/stamping of the more common "out" end.

Good thing to bring up with experienced pattern makers and casters Tom Madden, Aaron Gjermundson and Andy Carlson at the Lisle RPM

Bill Welch

Yankee Clipper offered a kit for an Erie boxcar.  Label says: ERIE  ARA/AAR STEEL BOXCAR  BUCKEYE ENDS  KIT #ERIE 1932-120.  I built it a long time ago.  It carries road number 76949 which I think/hope is correct.

ed_mines

The car we've been discussing is in the 75500 series. 76500 series had outward facing Buckeye ends, Viking corrugated roof. Taller too

76500 series is the car offered by Atlas. My recollection is F&C and Sunshine used to offer this as a kit. F&C still offers the milk car version.

My recollection is Mainline Modeler has centerfold plans for either the 75000 series (C&O and NKP had similar cars) 0r the 75500 series.

Photo of the 76500 series end on fallen flags.

Ed Mines

---In STMFC@..., <mguill1224@...> wrote :

Yankee Clipper offered a kit for an Erie boxcar.  Label says: ERIE  ARA/AAR STEEL BOXCAR  BUCKEYE ENDS  KIT #ERIE 1932-120.  I built it a long time ago.  It carries road number 76949 which I think/hope is correct.

hayden_tom@...

Ed,   Indeed, the car we are discussing is the Erie 75500 series cars with the Inverse Buckeye ends. And the Don Hanley article in MRH that Richard Bale references, discussed modeling 4 different series Erie cars, INCLUDING the 75500 Series. But after careful review of the 4 part article I think the author missed the fact that the 75500 Series had Inverse Buckeye ends. So the only difference in the three series with Buckeye ends (75500, 76000, and 76500), as modeled, were the  overall height and number of ribs. The article does include a photo that shows the inverse Buckeye ends on the 75500 Series, but the clearest end view pic shows #76949 with  non-inverse Buckeye ends.

And no matter how long I look at photos of the inverse Buckeye ends I have a very hard time figuring out how much raised or indented each area is. It's like looking at one of those optical illusion drawings where you can't tell if the stairway goes up or down.

mwbauers

A good picture or drawing and a 3d pattern can be made just from lufting the various shapes and levels in a vector graphics or CAD program.

Mike Bauers

On Oct 1, 2015, at 2:11 PM, "fgexbillm wrote:

With a creative use of modeling clay, rubber molds, and resin I bet there is a way to use existing Buckeye ends to create the inverted version ...