Topics

Tichy Tank Car with AB Brakes

golden1014

Hello Gents,

I'm building up the Tichy tank car this week and would prefer to model a car with AB brakes.  Does anyone have a photo of a USRA tank or a very similar car you could send so I can get the reservoir and valve placement correct?

Thanks,

John

John Golden

OFallon, IL

Tony Thompson

John Golden wrote:

I'm building up the Tichy tank car this week and would prefer to model a car with AB brakes.  Does anyone have a photo of a USRA tank or a very similar car you could send so I can get the reservoir and valve placement correct?

    There was, of course, no USRA tank car built, so a photo would be unlikely.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

al_brown03

While the USRA tank car (as Tony notes) wasn't built, the WWII-era USG-A cars had four horizontal courses like the Tichy kit; some underframe modifications are needed, but one can get pretty close. A few articles: Hendrickson, RMJ 10/90 pp 48-49, 67; Goslett, RMJ 4/91 pp 24-25; Pinchbeck, RMC 7/02 pp 91-99; Waite, MM 1/06 pp 60-64. All these articles show the brake systems.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Ken Adams

Then does the Gould small dome (or large) "USRA" tank car I found in a old box of cars from the 1980's have a prototype?

I also found a McKean double door box car in the same box with no RR markings.

thx

Ken Adams
(In the cold dry Walnut Creak)

Brian Carlson

As discussed ad-nauseam on the list the Tichy/Gould tank car has no prototype out of the box.

The USG-A prototype mentioned by Al Brown is the best choice.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 12, 2015, at 11:23 AM, smadanek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Then does the Gould small dome (or large) "USRA" tank car I found in a old box of cars from the 1980's have a prototype?

Benjamin Hom

Ken Adams asked:
"Then does the Gould small dome (or large) "USRA" tank car I found in a old box of cars from the 1980's have a prototype?"

No.  Gould was the original toolmaker and vendor of this model.  The same comments about the Tichy kit apply.

"I also found a McKean double door box car in the same box with no RR markings."

Late 1950s GN prototype.  Staffan Ehnbom or one of the other GN guys can provide more details.

Ben Hom

Bruce Smith

Actually, to be painfully precise, it DOES have a prototype, in that the model is based on the “USRA” tank car drawings, however there has never been any evidence that any 12":1' cars were actually built to those drawings.

The USG-A car has some significant differences in the frame and so is best built from a kit smash of a Tichy tank and an IM frame.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 12, 2015, at 10:41 AM, STMFC@... wrote:

As discussed ad-nauseam on the list the Tichy/Gould tank car has no prototype out of the box.

The USG-A prototype mentioned by Al Brown is the best choice.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 12, 2015, at 11:23 AM, smadanek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Then does the Gould small dome (or large) "USRA" tank car I found in a old box of cars from the 1980's have a prototype?

Jon Miller

On 11/12/2015 9:30 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] wrote:
"Then does the Gould small dome (or large) "USRA" tank car I found in a old box of cars from the 1980's have a prototype?"

    Ben answered your question but to me it's really a shame.  It's a really thought out kit and stands up today in terms of quality.  It's just not a car that was ever make.  I built one and painted it, etc.  I would suggest you use it to practice with.  Don't show it to anyone (grin)!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

D. Scott Chatfield

I'm building up the Tichy tank car this week and would prefer
to model a car with AB brakes. Does anyone have a photo of a
USRA tank or a very similar car you could send so I can get the
reservoir and valve placement correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-Slide-WC-Wisconsin-Central-10K-Water-Tankcar-918049-in-1991-Ex-MILW-RD-/381425640539?hash=item58cebd645b

That's about as close as I can get for you. We talked about this car a couple weeks ago.

Scott Chatfield

brianleppert@att.net

Actually, there really were tank cars built to USRA drawings, at least the underframes.  Standard Steel Car Co. built a series of 8K gallon tank cars for the Gulf Refining Co. circa 1923.  Ted Culotta recently sold a builders' photo of GRCX 3200 on Ebay which I won.  Without a doubt, the car sits on a USRA designed underframe.

As for AB brake installation, see photo of GRCX 3293 on page 98 in Ted's Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Vol. Two: Tank Cars.

This same photo can still be seen on Ebay in the completed listings.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Bill Welch

Brian is correct and Ted and I spliced two of the Tichy u/f together to create a Standard Steel Car Co. tank car kit for NATX and Staley using the IM 8K tank.

Bill Welch

brianleppert@att.net

Sorry Bill, what you made was a Pressed Steel Car Company built tank car.  Standard Steel Car Company made the USRA 8000 gallon copies.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

Good find Brian!