Accurail 36-foot double-sheathed boxcars

Paul Krueger

Did I miss the discussion of this announcement?

With steel roof and ends and fish-belly underframe: Boston & Albany (BA); Canadian Pacific; Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis (CCC&StL); Louisville & Nashville; Michigan Central; Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT); New York Central; Nickel Plate Road; Missouri Pacific; and Savannah & Atlanta.

With steel roof and ends and straight underframe: Boston & Maine; Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O); Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W); Denver & Rio Grande Western; Denver & Salt Lake; Lehigh & Hudson River; Morehead & North Fork; New York, New Haven & Hartford (NYNH&H); and Norfolk & Western (N&W).

Steel roof, wood ends, and fish-belly underframe: Akron, Canton & Youngstown; Ann Arbor; Baltimore & Ohio; BA; Bangor & Aroostook; CCC&StL; Chicago Great Western; Clinchfield; Lake Shore & Michigan Southern; Lehigh Valley; Lehigh & New England; Missouri Pacific; MKT; New York Central & Hudson River; and NYNH&H.

Steel roof, wood ends, and straight underframe: Boston & Maine; Central RR of New Jersey; C&O; Delaware & Hudson; Denver & Rio Grande; DL&W; Erie; Illinois Terminal System; N&W; Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis; Reading Co. and Toledo & Ohio Central.

All body styles also available undecorated and data only (Mineral Red and Oxide).

http://mrr.trains.com/-/media/Images/News%20and%20Reviews/New%20Products/2015/11/Week%202%20%20Trainfest/MRRNP0216_202.jpg?mw=600

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Krueger

Seattle, WA

Charles Peck

Paul, according to the Accurail website, it is a new listing as of 11/16/15 (today).
Available fall of 2016.  Drooling today but my tongue will be dried out by then.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:12 PM, kruegerp12@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Lee Singletary

Anybody know what the steel ends will be?

Lee

Lee Singletary
L&NHS
Alabaster, Alabama

[...]

Dennis Storzek

7/7 inverse (indented, whatever) corrugated. Just working on them now. Maybe more different varieties later.

Dennis Storzek

Todd Horton

Dennis, Are these cars going to have molded on grabs and ladders?  If someone asked this already I apologize.

Todd Horton

---In STMFC@..., <toddchorton@...> wrote :

Dennis, Are these cars going to have molded on grabs and ladders?  If someone asked this already I apologize.

Todd Horton
==========

Yup. These are intended to be moderately priced, easy assembly kits, as are all the Accurail kits.

Dennis Storzek

Lee Singletary

Thanks Dennis!
I won't have to dice and splice the Westerfield ends.

Lee

Lee Singletary
L&NHS
Alabaster, Alabama

Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 12:08 PM

---In STMFC@yahoogroups.com,
<Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote :

[...]

IL    36'-0"
IW    8'-6"
IH     8'-4"

Dennis

Charles Peck

Thank you in advance for this needed car, Dennis.  I am looking forward to it
and hope you sell a bunch of them.
Chuck Peck in FL

IL    36'-0"
IW    8'-6"
IH     8'-4"

Dennis

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Dennis' new cars look neat, and though they are to be mass-produced and likely to have cast-on grabs, they look like they could easily be upgraded. But does someone who models 1958 need some of these?

I decided to find out how many nominal 36' IL cars were still in service by checking my 1958 ORER. I chose to ignore Canadian and Mexican roads, and while I noted that some shortlines had a few of these, their chances of turning up on my railroad would be pretty much nil. I suspect that many of these shortline cars were on the dead line or were in use for LCL service and wouldn't have gone far (the Morehead & North Fork had at least one, #500, but it is not listed in the ORER and their cars didn't go off line anyway). Some were actually still on archbar trucks like the Nevada Northern's handful (they still are!). I concentrated my research on moderate to large roads for this list.

Charleston & Western Carolina 1800-1944, 30 cars
Louisville & Nashville 20000-21299, 642 cars!
Reading 11550-12999, 7 cars
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western 43500-43999, 18 cars
New York, Susquehanna & Western 1501-1554, 11 cars
Delaware & Hudson 22501-23201, 19 cars; 23202-24099, 26 cars
Central Vermont 83700-83797, 3 cars
Soo Line 12840-14128, 18 cars
Detroit, Toledo & Shore Line 3000-3049, 3 cars
Illinois Terminal 8100-8199, 86 cars!
Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range various numbers, 34 cars
Butte, Anaconda & Pacific 20-104, 25 cars
Southern 153500-262036, 16 cars; 162000-169769, 6 cars--these had truss rods, and many had Hutchins ends

That's a total of 919 cars, not very many in the great scheme of things. It looks like the big winner is the L&N, followed by the IT and the C&WC. It would be interesting to find photos of these cars to see how close they are to Dennis' offerings. If they were close enough for some easy kitbashing, I might choose an L&N. I have some C&WC decals in my stash, so that road is a possibility. I don't have any IT heralds left, and have an IT steel car anyway.

My fictional Virginia Midland is controlled by the Southern, but I already decided against one of their shorty cars. It would have been a once-in-a-lifetime event for one to show up there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Dave Parker

Garth:

I am not sure I understand the point of (or perhaps the need for) your post.  You model two years before the cutoff date for this group, so that fact that these 36 foot cars are not relevant to you is entirely predictable.

But the group is supposed to embrace the period 1900 to 1960.  I model 1934 -- right in the middle.  There are others (perhaps just a few) that model earlier.  So, for some of us, these kits might be highly relevant (they are all, after all, SUF cars; many ran through the 1930s and beyond).

I would guess that 85% of the chatter on this site is of no use or interest to me because it deals with things that post-date my layout.  I know how to deal with that fact:  I make liberal use of the delete button.   Everyone has the same "filtering" option.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Mike Fortney

Illinois Terminal's 8100-8199 boxcars were SS, blt 12/28 - nicely rendered by Sunshine Kit 78.4

IT's 8000-8099 were DS, SUF, blt 5/24 as Illinois Traction System boxcars.

Ten (8000-8009) were modified with special bearings and extendable couplers for use on tight-radius curves in street trackage in Bloomington, IL.

Much appreciated Accurail!

Mike Fortney

Dennis Storzek

Soo Line 12840-14128, 18 cars... These are single sheathed "Dominion" car (Fowler) clones. The Soo didn't have any short SUF cars, going directly from 34' and 40' truss rod cars to steel framed single sheathed cars.

Dennis Storzek

Richard Townsend

I didn't get the sense that Garth was dismissing the cars, just reporting on his research regarding survivors up to 1958. As someone who also models 1958 I was glad to see it. And I'm glad to see that the cars will be useful for your 1934 modeling, as I want to see Dennis be as successful as possible.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I am not sure I understand the point of (or perhaps the need for) your post.  You model two years before the cutoff date for this group, so that fact that these 36 foot cars are not relevant to you is entirely predictable.

But the group is supposed to embrace the period 1900 to 1960.  I model 1934 -- right in the middle.  There are others (perhaps just a few) that model earlier.  So, for some of us, these kits might be highly relevant (they are all, after all, SUF cars; many ran through the 1930s and beyond).

I would guess that 85% of the chatter on this site is of no use or interest to me because it deals with things that post-date my layout.  I know how to deal with that fact:  I make liberal use of the delete button.   Everyone has the same "filtering" option.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

anthony wagner

Best news I've heard in a long time! Tony Wagner

[...]

Gary Ray

I'm excited to see something that fits my 1926 era. Can't wait for them to come out even though they aren't an SP car.
Thanks Accurail,
Gary Ray

Dennis' new cars look neat, and though they are to be mass-produced and likely to have cast-on grabs, they look like they could easily be upgraded. But does someone who models 1958 need some of these?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>

I wonder how close these would be to the Rutland's 36' 7000-series cars?

Phil