Decals offered on Ebay by dkmtech

Andy Carlson

Hello everyone-
For awhile now i have seen 100s of Ebay listings for water slide decals from a company in Pennsylvania called The Brass Caboose/dkmtech. Many are steam era; could this be the former Jerry Glow line? Has anyone had any experience with these? I do know that Jerry Glow's decals were digitally printed on a high-end printer, and the ebay seller claims their's are typeset. Scales available are N; HO; S; and O which leads me to believe that they may very well be digitally computer printed.

Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

pennsylvania1954

Hi Andy--I noticed them, too, and exchanged several emails with the owner. Since there were several PRR decals offered, the line was included in the Newswire column of the latest issue of The Keystone Modeler.

These are not decals from Jerry Glow's line. I would welcome comments from anyone using any of these decals.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Marty McGuirk

I ordered the set of HO scale Central Vermont single-sheathed boxcar decals. I haven't used them yet, but they arrived within a couple of days of placing my order via eBay and paying with PayPal.  They look pretty good.

Marty McGuirk

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 12/1/2015 4:47 AM, mjmcguirk@... [STMFC] wrote:
I haven't used them yet, but they arrived within a couple of days of placing my order via eBay and paying with PayPal.

    I did a quick search of ebay but didn't find any of these.  Could someone supply a number I could search on!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Charlie Vlk

Jon-

Do an “Advanced Search” by Seller dkmtech and they will appear.

Charlie Vlk

I haven't used them yet, but they arrived within a couple of days of placing my order via eBay and paying with PayPal.

    I did a quick search of ebay but didn't find any of these.  Could someone supply a number I could search on!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Benjamin Hom

Jon Miller asked:
"I did a quick search of ebay but didn't find any of these. Could someone supply a number I could search on?"

Go to eBay, click on "Advanced" next to the search box at the top of the page. scroll down the page to "Sellers", enter "dkmtech", and click Search. This will return all of that seller's listings.

Ben Hom

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=371388183306&_ssn=dkmtech&_sop=10

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

On 12/1/2015 8:44 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] wrote:
Go to eBay, click on "Advanced" next to the search box at the top of the page. scroll down the page to "Sellers", enter "dkmtech", and click Search.  This will return all of that seller's listings.

    Thank you.  I haven't saved a search in so long I can't seem to figure out how.  Is this the new software or my old age?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

what is a "typeset" decal? i thought i'd heard about all the different methods of making decals
but that's a new one. any idea?

Tim O'Connor

 I haven't used them yet, but they arrived within a couple of days of placing my order via eBay and paying with PayPal.

     I did a quick search of ebay but didn't find any of these.  Could someone supply a number I could search on!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

------------------------------------
Posted by: BRIAN PAUL EHNI

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...
    STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Bruce Smith

No Tim, its a very old idea.  If this is the vendor I think it is, he appears to actually be using Fonts and actually “brags” about this somehow being superior to copying lettering directly from photos of cars.  For obvious reasons, I’ll stick to decals produced from actual lettering diagrams or photos of cars.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

Posted by: BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...
    STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Old school was physical letters sets with printing presses. Like Champ did. Apparently, digital type also is called typeset, so I’m not sure what actual process is used to get pigment on film here.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

Tony Thompson

Tim O'C. wrote:

what is a "typeset" decal? i thought i'd heard about all the different methods of making decals
but that's a new one. any idea?

   Surely you remember Champ? and the intriguing but usually wrong "Railroad Roman" font?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mwbauers

With the right software, as I discovered I had…..

You select the closest font you can find in the large collection that came with the graphic suite and then tweak it to look just like the actual font, do a save, and use it forever when you make that decal set, or one that uses the same tweaked font.

The font characteristics are quite easy to adjust with a capable program.

Not that we know if this vendor is doing that.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Dec 1, 2015, at 12:45 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

what is a "typeset" decal? i thought i'd heard about all the different methods of making decals
but that's a new one. any idea?

Tim O'Connor

Brian Carlson

Typesetting gives me pause as if these are generic lettering and not from photos, diagrams or other prototypical sources.

Brian J. Carlson

Steve Caple <stevecaple@...>

"he appears to actually be using Fonts and actually brags about this somehow being superior to copying lettering directly from photos of cars"

If the font is the correct one the car builder used, why not? Since very few dead straight on shots of lettering seem probable, what about the distortion introduced due to parallax errors in even the best decals mastered by this process? I wouldn't discount the decal maker just because he found a good font match.

thmsdmpsy

Is it possible that he means "Letter Press" which is an alternative to silk screen.  Tom Dempsey, Spokane, WA

Curt Fortenberry

Fontographer is the old program but I don't think it's available anymore.

I use High Logic FontCreator.   But there a times, more than I like, where I end up just recreating the lettering (i.e., draw it from scratch) if it's only a limited use.

I only know of 3 ways to get decals:  ALPS, silk screen, and printing.  There are probably more, I just don't know them.

Curt Fortenberry

Tim O'Connor

Tony

From my correspondence with Rich I learned about "letterpress" printing.

Both silkscreen and letterpress start with artwork -- NOT lead type.

Silkcreen artwork is photographed, and from that a mask (or masks for multi color) are made to etch the
screen. The limitation of the detail is determined by the fineness of the screen and the properties
of the ink.

Letterpress artwork is using to make an engraving (or engravings for multi color) and the level of detail is
limited by the printing method of pressure applied to the decal paper etc.

each method has its virtues and limitations. The big drawback of letterpress is the thickness of the decal.
but for some people this is a virtue! :-)

Many of Rich Meyer's (Champ) sets were highly accurate. Dick Harley feels that his PFE lettering was
not 100% perfect and Rick Leach found fault with his NP lettering, but it's not because Rich used the
wrong "type face" -- he just missed some nuances of the lettering. I had to stare for a while at Champ
vs Leach NP decals before I could detect anything different with the Champ letters.

I know for a fact that George Bishop used commercial lettering dry transfers for some of his artwork
for Accucals -- in particular Futura Demi Bold for Conrail -- which is not 100% correct! Once he laid out
the artwork he would photograph it with an overhead setup and from that, silkscreen masks were made.
Later on he did all of the art work on a computer -- but that was after he'd stopped making Accucals
himself and had them printed by Microscale.

So anyway I remain mystified by "type set" decals and what that really means -- especially since it
sounds like he prints them on demand!

Tim O'Connor

what is a "typeset" decal? i thought i'd heard about all the different methods of making decals
but that's a new one. any idea?

   Surely you remember Champ? and the intriguing but usually wrong "Railroad Roman" font?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

From my correspondence with Rich I learned about "letterpress" printing.
Both silkscreen and letterpress start with artwork -- NOT lead type.

    Ah yes, but the ARTWORK may be a metal type proof. A number of the older Champ sets (from before Rich's time) were made that way. And when someone says "typeset" nowadays, they may mean that the ARTWORK was made from metal type fonts, or they may mean from digital font files (though I would maintain that the second usage is at best misleading). Whether metal type was used to apply ink to decal paper directly, I don't know.
     The real bottom line, for me, is that in the era of this list, type fonts are most unlikely to be correct for freight car lettering. In some subsequent times and for particular railroads, yes, but for us, no. Artwork made from actual car photos can be superb, or not very crisp. Depends on the care and skill of the person preparing the artwork -- it's not automatically better or worse. I've done this kind of artwork (you may know my SP tank car decal set) and am pretty familiar with what is involved.

Steve Caple wrote:

If the font is the correct one the car builder used, why
not? Since very few dead straight on shots of lettering seem
probable, what about the distortion introduced due to
parallax errors in even the best decals mastered by this
process? I wouldn't discount the decal maker just because
he found a good font match.

     Steve, you are right, but your "IF" is a really big "IF." In the period of this list, nearly all railroad lettering was designed in the drafting room, not chosen from a font, and why not? You had to make up stencils from large drawings, larger than any metal type, so you might as well just draw it in the first place. Now there was, in fact, a "recommended" set of characters from MCB, but few if any railroads actually used it. I know of none. And the MCB font is definitely NOT the "Railroad Roman" of song and legend.