Topics

PFE Cars At Pacific Fruit & Produce Co.

thecitrusbelt@...

Courtesy of the Vintage Portland website (https://vintageportland.wordpress.com/) here is a 1935 photo of several PFE refrigerator cars parked at Pacific Fruit & Produce Company in Portland, OR. Pacific Fruit was located at SE 2nd Avenue and SE Alder Street.

This company was a Sunkist distributor and the facility previously was operated by Bell &

Company, the oldest and best known of the fruit and vegetable jobbing concerns in Portland.

https://vintageportland.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/1935-sep-25_se-2nd-ave-and-alder-st_a2009-009-2795.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge it. I can’t quite identify the car numbers.

The building is still there but everything else in the picture is long gone. The tracks in the street appear to be paved over or removed. Alder Street is now Alder Avenue.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

paul.doggett2472@...

Great photo.
Paul Doggett UK

Sent from Samsung mobile

"thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Courtesy of the Vintage Portland website (https://vintageportland.wordpress.com/) here is a 1935 photo of several PFE refrigerator cars parked at Pacific Fruit & Produce Company in Portland, OR. Pacific Fruit was located at SE 2nd Avenue and SE Alder Street.

This company was a Sunkist distributor and the facility previously was operated by Bell &

Company, the oldest and best known of the fruit and vegetable jobbing concerns in Portland.

https://vintageportland.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/1935-sep-25_se-2nd-ave-and-alder-st_a2009-009-2795.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge it. I can’t quite identify the car numbers.

The building is still there but everything else in the picture is long gone. The tracks in the street appear to be paved over or removed. Alder Street is now Alder Avenue.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <thecitrusbelt@...> wrote :

https://vintageportland.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/1935-sep-25_se-2nd-ave-and-alder-st_a2009-009-2795.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge it. I can’t quite identify the car numbers.

===============

Interestingly, the nearest reefer appears to have a Western Pacific emblem; one of the relatively small fleet of WP reefers managed by PFE.

Dennis Storzek

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bob,

The first car appears to be 52153, or at least a car in that number series. It is one of the illusive Western Pacific-owned cars, which were R-30-13 clones. These were built in 1923 by AC&F.

The second car is 36086, an R-30-13 car built in 1926 by Standard Steel Car Co.

This data comes from Tony's PACIFIC FRUIT EXPRESS.

Nice photo. Thanks for sharing.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff