A unique transfer caboose.

mwbauers

I’m amazed at this slide I see on eBay.

Its a shop-made transfer caboose identified as “ Illinois Northern Caboose 112; [slide dated] 7/65 "

I suspect the car dates from the early 50’s

It seems to have a maintenance date of  ATSF 03-3-64  ?? on the center and…. something else stenciled above the ‘B’ truck dated as 1-54

So it certainly dates from the era covered by this list. I don’t know when the shop conversion was done.

It has bolt holes in the frame that show the car was converted from an earlier ‘normal’ RR car. I would guess a boxcar.

It took me a few moments to realize that the caboose cabin of the car is built up from boxcar doors !!!

I’ll attach an image

This will run on eBay for five more days.

eBay item number:371496606100

I almost had to pick up my jaw from the floor with this one.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

rob.mclear3@...

MIke

I think the car is an old Santa Fe Flatcar, you can see some of the stake pockets were used for the cabin and the holes for the others are still on the side of the car, I can't seem to be able to identify which car.   I wish Richard was still around.

Rob McLear.
Aussie

Bill Vaughn

It is a flat car built into a transfer caboose by the ATSF.  Not sure of the original class but a nice find.

Bill Vaughn

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Rob & Group,

There is a photo of a similar car — ATSF 1000 — but not the same car in SANTA FE DIESELS AND CARS, Wayner Publications. The photo caption reads that the car was assigned to the Argentine, Kansas, yard until retired in 1970. No build date is given.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Dec 6, 2015, at 4:34 PM, rob.mclear3@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

MIke

I think the car is an old Santa Fe Flatcar, you can see some of the stake pockets were used for the cabin and the holes for the others are still on the side of the car, I can't seem to be able to identify which car.   I wish Richard was still around.

Rob McLear.
Aussie

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Again,

There are also photos of ATSF 1000 — dated 7/13/1956 — in CABOOSE CARS OF THE SANTA FE RAILWAY, by Frank Ellington. These appear to be company photos. Perhaps “builder’s photos”. There is also a photo of ATSF 1004 dated December 10, 1964, credited to Joe McMillan and also a couple of images of ATSF 1005. Again, neither the 1004 or 1005 are the car in the e-bay image.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA