Topics

Express Reefers?

Bob Werre

First, I'm hoping this still fits the designation of a freight car!

I've recently decided to do some rebuilding of some acquired models. Since I model in S scale when a complete award winning passenger train became available I jumped on it despite being only generally correct for my railroad. The train was built with mid 60's era techniques, while the cars themselves have a B & M prototype of maroon cars. It's lettering was for the owner private road. It also came with a Hoods milk reefer, which I didn't need, later sold.

A couple of years ago, I also acquired a wooden express reefer (think Ambroid) but the silk screened sides were totally incorrect so I removed the scribed sides. Meanwhile I had acquired an set of silk screened sides for a SOO Line express reefer in Pullman green with gold leaf type lettering. I'm in the process of adding those sides and updating the former applied detail parts like ladders and grabs. I noticed that there is no dimensional data on these sides. I have three additional express reefers that I built over 40 years ago that do have typical freight car data as part of those sides. So I also checked my spare decal sets and find none of the passenger car sets from Champ or anybody else contain any of this data.

As it is now, the sides contain a road # and the word 'Refrigerator' on one side and 'Railway Express Agency' on the other side of the doors. The SOO line designation runs along the top above the doors. Overall the car looks very sparse. However, I've seen photos of of several models and so far none have much more than what I have.

So my question is: was this data optional? or are my vintage express cars that I built have the lettering incorrect. Since the lettering is in gold leaf, would any additional lettering be the same color? My thoughts might be that they may have used a cheaper method with the smaller data that was less advertising in nature.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Werre
BobWphoto.com

James SANDIFER

Hey Bob, your neighbor here.

The express reefer photos I have seen generally have "Railway Express Agency", a number or "REX" and number, and "refrigerator" on them. They do not have dimensional data or weight limit data as on a traditional house car.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Minister Emeritus, Southwest Central Church of Christ

Webmaster, Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society

[...]

Charles Peck

Bob, the REA cars were not ordinarily available for direct use by shippers but were for use BY REA.  REA was
a consortium of various railroads, not exactly a customer in the sense of most shippers.  As I have been told, REA
was charged by the carmile, not by weight. Thus, as long as REA knew the weight, there was no need for the hauling
railroad to weigh the car.  The REA cars most frequently were hauled in passenger trains for the fastest service.
Cargos might include such perishables as fresh seafood and flowers.  To see one in a freight train often meant
empty deadhead move or bad order.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Bob Werre bob@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Chuck Peck wrote:

Bob, the REA cars were not ordinarily available for direct use by shippers but were for use BY REA.  REA was
a consortium of various railroads, not exactly a customer in the sense of most shippers.

       Well, the shipper called the local railroad agent, who arranged for an REA car to be delivered by the railroad for the shipper's use. In some places, there was a separate REA office, but REA did not move cars itself, but would have had to ask the local railroad to do so; and the waybill would be made out by the railroad's agent. And remember, REA also operated a large pool of express cars, composed of a number of other owners' cars, including Santa Fe and PFE. When a shipper needed an express reefer, they did not know if they would get an REA car or another owner's car from the pool. But all operated the same way under REA direction.

As I have been told, REA was charged by the carmile, not by weight. Thus, as long as REA knew the weight, there was no need for the hauling railroad to weigh the car.

      This is a confusing statement. REA was PAID by the car-mile, loaded or empty. That is how they received money to operate, including buying and maintaining the car fleet (some non-REA car owners did maintenance on their own cars). They were paid by the railroads over which the car moved. And if the car was part of the REA pool, a payment was then due from REA to the owner of that car.
       The handling railroads were paid from the freight bill, which was by weight or tariff category, and icing charges were additional. So the shipper (or consignee) paid a freight bill to one of the railroads involved, which in turn paid REA for car mileage, and also paid any icing stations involved, for the icing charges, all of which had to come out of the freight bill.
        You are right, Chuck, it was complicated.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Chuck Peck wrote:

[...]

Charlie Vlk

Typically express reefers in passenger service did not have dimensional data.
Charlie Vlk