Topics

SEEKING PHOTO HELP

WILLIAM PARDIE

I hope that everyone had a great holiday. I learned long ago not to complete a model without a photo op the prototype.
I have a Desp;ite the running board problems this is a pretty good model. I have not, however, been able to find a prototype
photo of a car in this series. This would be in the 1946 to 1954 time frame.

Any hellp would be appreciated.:

Bill

Benjamin Hom

Bill Pardie asked:
"I hope that everyone had a great holiday. I learned long ago not to complete a model without a photo op the prototype.
I have a Desp;ite the running board problems this is a pretty good model. I have not, however, been able to find a prototype
photo of a car in this series. This would be in the 1946 to 1954 time frame.

Any hellp would be appreciated."

Bill, your e-mail is missing an important piece of information - exactly what are you looking for?

Ben Hom

WILLIAM PARDIE

Ben And Others:

It looks like part of my e-mail disappeared into God knows where.  The model is a Broadway Limited NYC early steel boxcar.  The car that I have is
numbered 122766 with a lot number of 563B.  This car has the dreadnaught end.  I have found numerous photos of the car with the earlier steel end
but none of this particular arrangement.  I would like a photo of this particular series in order to check the details before finishing the car.

Apoogies and thanks:

Bill Pardie

On Dec 28, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] wrote:

Bill Pardie asked:
"I hope that everyone had a great holiday. I learned long ago not to complete a model without a photo op the prototype.
I have a Desp;ite the running board problems this is a pretty good model. I have not, however, been able to find a prototype
photo of a car in this series. This would be in the 1946 to 1954 time frame.

Any hellp would be appreciated."

Bill, your e-mail is missing an important piece of information - exactly what are you looking for?

Ben Hom

al_brown03

There are several photos of the Dreadnaught-end versions in RP CYC 21, pp 50-56.

Hth,

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tim O'Connor

Bill I think there were at least 3 lot numbers with dreadnaught ends. I have
some info from Jeff English:

USRA-clone all-steel box car 8'7" IH, 4-4 Dreadnaught ends, Youngstown doors
Lot 559-B, built by ACF St Louis plant Lot 494 in 1927 as CCC&StL 49000-49999
and renumbered after 1936 to NYC 121000 - 121999

I'll send you a photo of NYC 123500 from a different NYC lot number. Not the
same car because it has 4/5 ends... :-(

Tim O'Connor

It looks like part of my e-mail disappeared into God knows where. The model is a Broadway Limited NYC early steel boxcar. The car that I have is numbered 122766 with a lot number of 563B. This car has the dreadnaught end. I have found numerous photos of the car with the earlier steel end but none of this particular arrangement. I would like a photo of this particular series in order to check the details before finishing the car.

Bill Pardie

al_brown03

Apologies: I was sloppy. Of the cars shown in the RP CYC article, one belongs to lot 563-B: NYC S-95499 (later NYC 123499), shown on pp 55-56. The ends are 4/4 Dreadnaught. This lot comprised NYC 94500-95499 (later NYC 122500-123499).

As Tim says, according to the article three lots had these ends: 559-B, 560-B, and 563-B.

AL B.