Testors Decal Printing Results


Bill Keene <wakeene@...>
 

Garth & Group,

The Testors white decal backing could maybe used to print out reweigh dates, lub plates, etc. In almost any word processing program one can create a text box with a black fill and the text — date and other info — as white lettering. This should result in a decal that looks like a patch. One could even chose to use a BCR or FCR color fill instead of black. I have seen MKT Sloan Yellow box cars with the reweigh info stenciled onto a BCR patch. 

Just a thought on possible freight car usage of the white decal sheets.

Cheers & Happy Modeling
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Dec 31, 2015, at 1:53 AM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Friends,

I finally got around to applying the decals I made using the Testors paper with my Epson Claria Photo 1400 printer. John's warning was absolutely right. The inks did not have enough opacity, and the lettering disappeared when I applied the decals to the car sides. Poop! These were done with colors approximating the orange-yellow used by the WP in the 1950s, and some in a light silver-gray, applied over boxcar red paint. I still have a sheet printed in black for the Detroit & Mackinac boxcar and for some Sacramento Belt Line RBLs with yellow sides, but I haven't built these cars yet. I suspect the black inks may work better. Maybe someone with a different brand of printer will get better results.

OTOH, the inks did not soften during the soaking process. I made sure the sheets had a double coating of the sealant, laid on and laid off. The decals soaked right off the paper and were easy to transfer to the car side. The product does work as advertised. The guy at the hobby store is also experimenting with the Testors decal sheets, and he claims any sprayed sealant will work.

I was using the sheets with a clear backing. Testors also offers sheets with a white background. This isn't going to work for freight car lettering, but certainly has applications for building signs. 

More on this later.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff

On 11/8/15 6:50 PM, 'John Hagen' sprinthag@... [STMFC] wrote:
 

 

Garth,

Epson (or HP or Canon or any other inkjet), must have paper designed for inkjet printers. Dye or pigment based, inkjets papers have a coating that will allow the inks to soak in. Microscale paper is not for use in an inkjet so the inks just lay on the surface and may likely not dry in our lifetime. Using a better than normal mode for printing will increase the amount of ink deposited on the paper so even when using inkjet paper the ink will blur and stay liquid for a long time.

The problem with any printer that cannot print a layer of white ink as an undercoat is that the colors will not be opaque. If you are printing black decals or if the surface you are placing the decals on is white, they will be fine. If they are placed on a colored surface, the surface color will show thru and, depending on the surface color, cause a color shift or make the decal just about totally invisible.

Laser printers will print on Microscale paper but will have the same problem with opaqueness or the lack thereof..

BTW, I print decals. Have for over 10 years. I have had several HP’s and currently own 2 Epson’s and did have 1 Canon (hated it, but I do like their cameras). None of them were/are capable of printing decals, except black of course.

John Hagen

OBS-CALS – your source for Obscure DecalS

 



Posted by: "John Hagen" 
Reply via web postReply to sender Reply to group Start a New TopicMessages in this topic (5) 
.
 




John Hagen <sprinthag@...>
 

1a

Garth,

The Testors system works fine IF you need black lettering. Of course if the car you are lettering happens to be white, then anything works. So if you are doing certain tank cars or covered hoppers ………

As you noted you can use white decal paper and print things like signs, logos or anything that has straight edges that may be cut out easily. But that would make lettering an impossible chore.

The only affordable, home user type printer that works for decals is the Alps, now long out of production and working units are disappearing. There is a company in Japan that can repair them but the cost is prohibitive ($1500.00 + including shipping – a big part of the cost) and way too much for my pockets, especially with the ink supply dwindling as that is also out of production now.

I keep watching and hoping that something will turn up but the truth is no one is going to build a printer for the purpose of decal printing; the market is just too small. Such a printer must be able to print white both as a color and as a base layer under colors for opaqueness and be able to print multiple layers of color without losing registration. The Alps can do this. Finicky, touchy and a steep learning curve that required one to deal with challenge and everlasting frustration but they do the job.

Maybe in 2016 ……..

John Hagen

 

Friends,

I finally got around to applying the decals I made using the Testors
paper with my Epson Claria Photo 1400 printer. John's warning was
absolutely right. The inks did not have enough opacity, and the
lettering disappeared when I applied the decals to the car sides. Poop!
These were done with colors approximating the orange-yellow used by the
WP in the 1950s, and some in a light silver-gray, applied over boxcar
red paint. I still have a sheet printed in black for the Detroit &
Mackinac boxcar and for some Sacramento Belt Line RBLs with yellow
sides, but I haven't built these cars yet. I suspect the black inks may
work better. Maybe someone with a different brand of printer will get
better results.

OTOH, the inks did not soften during the soaking process. I made sure
the sheets had a double coating of the sealant, laid on and laid off.
The decals soaked right off the paper and were easy to transfer to the
car side. The product does work as advertised. The guy at the hobby
store is also experimenting with the Testors decal sheets, and he claims
any sprayed sealant will work.

I was using the sheets with a clear backing. Testors also offers sheets
with a white background. This isn't going to work for freight car
lettering, but certainly has applications for building signs.

More on this later.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff


Visit Your Group

·         New Members 1


Jack Burgess
 

Keep in mind that Kadee has an Alps printer and will print single sheets of decals…

 

Jack Burgess


William Hirt
 

On 12/31/2015 2:04 PM, 'John Hagen' sprinthag@... [STMFC] wrote:
I keep watching and hoping that something will turn up but the truth is no one is going to build a printer for the purpose of decal printing; the market is just too small. Such a printer must be able to print white both as a color and as a base layer under colors for opaqueness and be able to print multiple layers of color without losing registration. The Alps can do this. Finicky, touchy and a steep learning curve that required one to deal with challenge and everlasting frustration but they do the job.

Okidata is now selling laser printers that print both in color and white. I know someone in the publishing business that has been closely looking at purchasing one for many purposes along doing decal type applications (including his model railroad friend's one off needs). When he started looking into it last summer, the low end model printer was $4000. I see now it has come down to $3400. The toner cartridges are over $200 a piece. Still way too much for a home purchase. Let's hope as with all technology the price continues to fall as they become more widespread in the marketplace.

Bill Hirt


mwbauers
 

What’s the reports on the suitability of the Xerox solid ink printers for decals???

I took them up on their offer of several sample printed pages, and the quality is a pure dream to behold.

I think that’s a no more than a $600 printer.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Dec 31, 2015, at 2:04 PM, 'John Hagen' wrote:


1a
Garth,
The Testors system works fine IF you need black lettering. Of course if the car you are lettering happens to be white, then anything works. So if you are doing certain tank cars or covered hoppers ………
As you noted you can use white decal paper and print things like signs, logos or anything that has straight edges that may be cut out easily. But that would make lettering an impossible chore.
The only affordable, home user type printer that works for decals is the Alps, now long out of production and working units are disappearing. There is a company in Japan that can repair them but the cost is prohibitive ($1500.00 + including shipping – a big part of the cost) and way too much for my pockets, especially with the ink supply dwindling as that is also out of production now.
I keep watching and hoping that something will turn up but the truth is no one is going to build a printer for the purpose of decal printing; the market is just too small. Such a printer must be able to print white both as a color and as a base layer under colors for opaqueness and be able to print multiple layers of color without losing registration. The Alps can do this. Finicky, touchy and a steep learning curve that required one to deal with challenge and everlasting frustration but they do the job.
Maybe in 2016 ……..
John Hagen


 

The ones I’ve seen are “thick”; you can feel the raised print when you run your fingers across the page. The technology uses wax “plugs” you feed into the machine.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 3:37 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] RE: Testors Decal Printing Results







What’s the reports on the suitability of the Xerox solid ink printers for decals???

I took them up on their offer of several sample printed pages, and the quality is a pure dream to behold.

I think that’s a no more than a $600 printer.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Dec 31, 2015, at 2:04 PM, 'John Hagen' wrote:


1a
Garth,
The Testors system works fine IF you need black lettering. Of course if the car you are lettering happens to be white, then anything works. So if you are doing certain tank cars or covered hoppers ………
As you noted you can use white decal paper and print things like signs, logos or anything that has straight edges that may be cut out easily. But that would make lettering an impossible chore.
The only affordable, home user type printer that works for decals is the Alps, now long out of production and working units are disappearing. There is a company in Japan that can repair them but the cost is prohibitive ($1500.00 + including shipping – a big part of the cost) and way too much for my pockets, especially with the ink supply dwindling as that is also out of production now.
I keep watching and hoping that something will turn up but the truth is no one is going to build a printer for the purpose of decal printing; the market is just too small. Such a printer must be able to print white both as a color and as a base layer under colors for opaqueness and be able to print multiple layers of color without losing registration. The Alps can do this. Finicky, touchy and a steep learning curve that required one to deal with challenge and everlasting frustration but they do the job.
Maybe in 2016 ……..
John Hagen






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


mwbauers
 

I just grabbed them and I can feel barely any texture on the pages. It’s very, very slight and subtle.

Maybe its been improved in the newer models ???

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Dec 31, 2015, at 3:48 PM, BRIAN PAUL  wrote:

The ones I’ve seen are “thick”; you can feel the raised print when you run your fingers across the page. The technology uses wax “plugs” you feed into the machine.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Mike Bauers...

What’s the reports on the suitability of the Xerox solid ink printers for decals???

I took them up on their offer of several sample printed pages, and the quality is a pure dream to behold.

I think that’s a no more than a $600 printer.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

> On Dec 31, 2015, at 2:04 PM, 'John Hagen' wrote:
> 
> 
> 1a 
> Garth,
> The Testors system works fine IF you need black lettering. Of course if the car you are lettering happens to be white, then …...


genegreen1942@...
 

I bought an ALPS 500 when they first came out, tested it once and then never used it.  Should I sell it?
Gene Green


Chuck Soule
 

> Mike Bauers wrote:

> What’s the reports on the suitability of the Xerox solid ink printers for decals???

My company replaced one of its network printers with a Xerox ColorQube several years ago, and it is not popular from the perspective of the peons' work needs.  We frequently print maps or engineering drawings and mark them up for review.  The waxy surface is almost impossible to write on with anything short of a Sharpie.  Even text pages are frustrating to write on.  Also, we generally feel the graphic resolution/color response is not as good as some of our other laser printers.

I don't know how that would translate to decal needs. 

Chuck Soule


Richard Townsend
 

I've printed black decals on Microscale "Trim Film" on the color cube at work and I am quite satisfied with them. They don't dissolve in water or decal setting solution.
 
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR