Ice refrigerators (Frozen Turkeys)

Tim O'Connor

A huge factor in why I decided to change era from ~1960 to ~1970...

Tim O'Connor

One other thing I may add to this string, (even though the title remains Ice refrigerators)
  in a recent read of Railway Age, it notes that there were only 152 Mechanical reefers in service in 1952.

And so as I am modeling 1953, I see no need to ever purchase a model of one.
        The phrase, rare as hen's teeth - comes readily to mind.                                Jim Dick - St. Paul

Rufus Cone

In the context of this discussion, the following articles on NHIX cars on the NP give further information about transport of frozen food in ice reefers.
David Lambert, MDT Metamorphosis NHIX, Railroad Model Craftsman, January & February 1990

Comments on NHIX by H Lansing Vail, Jr. - NYCS Historical Society, Railroad Model Craftsman, August-1990

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

On Dec 31, 2015, at 4:13 PM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

BDob Chaparro wrote:

The amount of salt required to achieve 32 degrees usually was 30 percent by weight compared to the ice. I'm sure this kind of extreme performance in the ice bunker cars required frequent reicing.

   Probably this is a typo by Bob. An equilibrium mixture of water and ice, no salt, is at 32 degrees (Fahrenheit). Salt additions lower that temperature. The minimum achievable (in the laboratory) with 23 percent salt is -6 degrees (the temperature of the water-salt eutectic, for the technically minded -- you can read about eutectics on Wikipedia). Use of more salt, for example 30 percent, is just insurance. I have read that it was difficult to get an ice reefer below 10 degrees in real life. And BTW, ice cars used for frozen loads were heavily insulated compared to ordinary ice reefers.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

np328

One other thing I may add to this string, (even though the title remains Ice refrigerators)
  in a recent read of Railway Age, it notes that there were only 152 Mechanical reefers in service in 1952.

And so as I am modeling 1953, I see no need to ever purchase a model of one.
        The phrase, rare as hen's teeth - comes readily to mind.                                Jim Dick - St. Paul

Tony Thompson

thecitrusbelt@...

The amount of salt required to achieve 32 degrees usually was 30 percent by weight compared to the ice. I'm sure this kind of extreme performance in the ice bunker cars required frequent reicing.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA