From: ed_mines@... [STMFC]
Sent: ‎1/‎7/‎2016 8:16 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] cupola railings

Most caboose kits direct you to bend a piece of wire requiring you to get at least 2 measurements exactly if you want the cupola railings to look good.

Using a whole package of wire I couldn't get those railings to look decent.

I've gotten nice results using Yarmouth eye bolts and "L" shaped pieces of wire.

AMB laserkits provide a template for the mounting holes which is an improvement.

Ed Mines

mwbauers

I think you wish for a tool like this….

Or a DIY version with nails pounded into a board that has just the spacing over the outside of the nails you need for each grab you are bending . [use inner distance needed, minus the diameter of -one- of the nails to hammer the bending jig you need. Mark the board for that and hammer in the nail on the end of that measured line.]

There is the secret, the inside measurement of the bent grab you need, with the bending pins installed so that the outside of those pins is the distance you need for your bend.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Jan 7, 2016, at 10:16 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Most caboose kits direct you to bend a piece of wire requiring you to get at least 2 measurements exactly if you want the cupola railings to look good.

Using a whole package of wire I couldn't get those railings to look decent.

I've gotten nice results using Yarmouth eye bolts and "L" shaped pieces of wire.

AMB laserkits provide a template for the mounting holes which is an improvement. .

Douglas Harding

To follow up: AMB created a wonderful little laser cut acrylic jig for bending all the railings, grabs, etc for their M&StL caboose kit. It does the curved grabs for the sides, the ones for the top of cupola, the end railings with the correct bends and curves, the correct length grabs, etc. I don’t believe they offered it in any other kit, at least none of the others I have built. I have several of the jibs and have modified one by drilling additional holes to bend different length grabs for other cabooses.

When I get home and can dig through the tool box, I will try to post a photo of the jib so you can get a better idea of what I looks like and how it works.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Hi Mike,

If you read the reviews, that is NOT a tool you would wish for.

http://www.amazon.com/Artistic-Wire-Deluxe-Jig-Kit/dp/B0018GI46M/
The concept is fine, but based on the reviews, the tool is poorly made and fails to do the job for which it is intended.

Pity, because the idea is a good one.

Cheers

Dave North

James E Kubanick

Monroe Models supplies a similar acrylic jig in their DM&IR caboose kit.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV