Topics

LV "wrong way" boxcar/campcar

D. Scott Chatfield

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Dupe-Slide-Lehigh-Valley-RR-Camp-Car-97661-Perth-Amboy-New-Jersey-1964/381511858823?

I assume this was originally one of the infamous "wrong way" boxcars. Was that the car's original end?

Scott Chatfield

Eric Hansmann

The end looks like a variant on the T-brace end that was mentioned with a Southern box car recently.

As for original, that isn't a term I would use much with LV wood-sheathed box cars. There was lots or rebuilding of older LV equipment in the late 1920s and into the 1930s. The LV stretched quite a few older 36-foot cars and installed steel center sills. Many cars received new doors and ends.

They did receive some 40-foot, double-sheathed cars in the Teens that had similarities to the B&O M-15 class. Westerfield offers this as a kit.
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=98_294

There is a possibility the car seen on the EBay slide was originally one if the LV automobile cars.

Is there a definitive history of LV wood-sheathed box cars?

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jan 10, 2016, at 4:49 PM, 'D. Scott Chatfield' blindog@mindspring.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Dupe-Slide-Lehigh-Valley-RR-Camp-Car-97661-Perth-Amboy-New-Jersey-1964/381511858823?

I assume this was originally one of the infamous "wrong way" boxcars.
Was that the car's original end?

Scott Chatfield

Posted by: "D. Scott Chatfield" <blindog@mindspring.com>

Yahoo Groups Links

Layout Tour

Scott & Eric,

It looks like a modification for work service to the steel plate ends on the 78000-79499 series wrong way box cars.  Ted Culotta did a pretty extensive discussion of these cars in the Feb. 2006 RMC.

Chuck Davis

Norfolk VA