An informal poll

Pierre Oliver

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com

skibbs4

With the consistency of injection molded plastic, I prefer the separate components to avoid masking.  But in general, for resin parts, I prefer complete bodies over tweaking the fit of several components.

So complete bodies is my vote.

Mike Skibbe

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Scott Kremer

Complete bodies please.  Many times it is easier to mask than fit parts.

Scott Kremer

On Jan 13, 2016, at 4:49 PM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

JOHN MILLER MILLER-WING <amwing1588@...>

Group,

My preference is that they are separate pieces. It makes painting so much easier!

John Miller
Railhead Custom Painting
Folsom, CA.

anthony wagner

I'm all for separate sides such as on Accurail's cars.As far as I can tell, during the steam era, ends and roofs were one color, usually some shade of "freight car red" while the sides were mostly yellow, orange, gray, or white. Underframes were either the same color as the roofs and ends or black. Of course there were exceptions but compared to the majority of reefers they were few and far between. A plus would be separate door hinges, ladders, and grab irons since, depending on the era and the owner's paint scheme at that time, they could be black or red or the same color as the sides. Neatly brush painting cast on hinges especially, but ladders and grabs too, is a major hassle. An alternative might be to provide decals in the appropriate shape and color to be applied to the cast on items after the sides are painted. Hope this helps, Tony Wagner

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:49 PM, "Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC]" wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Bill Welch

If the ends and roof are precisely indexed to fit to the body or core so that alignment is precise and the parts can then be glued from inside the body, then separate is okay. Otherwise I prefer to assemble and then mask. Or a one-piece body and masking.

BTW Tamiya's Masking Tape comes in protective containers, actually dispensers, meaning both edges of the tape are clean and sharp and can be used without cutting the edge to get sharp color separation.

Bill Welch

Ted Culotta

I vote for one-piece bodies. There are excellent low-tack masking tapes available now that make masking a breeze. Weathering hides almost all but the most egregious masking errors.

If and when I offer a reefer kit, I'll be sure to follow my own advice!

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Tim O'Connor

I prefer flat kits. :-)

[...]

Jeff Sankus

My vote is for one piece bodies. I agree with Ted C's thoughts about masking.

Thanks
Jeff Sankus

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

william darnaby

I've built dozens of resin reefers and only assembled one, a Sunshine wood side MDT car 20 years ago, with pre-painted parts as an experiment. I concluded that it was too much trouble and went back to masking tape. I can do a four color car such as an FGE...yellow sides, silver roof, red ends, black UF...with one piece of tape over the sides. All this requires is a good air brush with minimal overspray. Just leave off the ladders and side grabs, painting them separately, for ease of laying down the tape. As far as I am concerned, one piece body or separate pieces, I am going to tape. YMMV.

Bill Darnaby

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

------------------------------------
Posted by: Pierre Oliver <pierre.oliver@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Pierre,

My choice is one-piece bodies — sides, ends, roof — and masking tape. I have not found masking and painting the roofs to be much of an issue.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 13, 2016, at 1:49 PM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

armprem

My major objection to many of the one piece bodies is the thickness of the sides and ends.Drilling becomes a major impediment to the ease of construction.Armand Premo

I vote for one-piece bodies. There are excellent low-tack masking tapes available now that make masking a breeze. Weathering hides almost all but the most egregious masking errors.

If and when I offer a reefer kit, I'll be sure to follow my own advice!

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

No virus found in this message.

gary laakso

I tried painting the ends and sides separately once and it was far more work than masking a body already assembled.  I used paper under ladders to reduce adding parts to paint.  One piece is my vote.

Gary Laakso
south of Mike Brock

Schuyler Larrabee

I agree with Tony Wagner here especially about the separate parts, though hinges sufficiently thin might be a tough thing to accomplish.

Schuyler

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:49 PM, "Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Pierre,

While I'm pretty well set for reefers, I would prefer to have the separate ends. It not only makes painting easier, but it also opens possibilities for kitbashing.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/13/16 4:49 PM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] wrote:

A debate is going on within a circle of resin manufacturers regarding
how best to deal with reefer kits. In particular cars with multi-color
paint jobs.
The gist of the issue is this;
It's agreed that one piece bodies are required.
But do we offer one piece bodies with false ends and separate roofs and
floors, which will allow for multi-color paint jobs with out masking. Or
do we make the bodies as complete as possible?
You guys are the buyers, what's your preference?

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ted,

Since you are musing over the possibility of a reefer kit, how about considering an MDT reefer with Despatch ends. I suppose Martin offered something like this, but there's nothing out there now that I know of.

But, Oh!, for a 10K AC&F type 7 or 11 high walkway tank!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/13/16 5:43 PM, Ted Culotta speedwitchmedia@... [STMFC] wrote:

I vote for one-piece bodies. There are excellent low-tack masking tapes available now that make masking a breeze. Weathering hides almost all but the most egregious masking errors.

If and when I offer a reefer kit, I'll be sure to follow my own advice!

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

armprem

Ted,Have you considered an ERDX Reefer? It has never been done .Armand Premo

Since you are musing over the possibility of a reefer kit, how about considering an MDT reefer with Despatch ends. I suppose Martin offered something like this, but there's nothing out there now that I know of.

But, Oh!, for a 10K AC&F type 7 or 11 high walkway tank!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/13/16 5:43 PM, Ted Culotta speedwitchmedia@... [STMFC] wrote:

I vote for one-piece bodies. There are excellent low-tack masking tapes available now that make masking a breeze. Weathering hides almost all but the most egregious masking errors.

If and when I offer a reefer kit, I'll be sure to follow my own advice!

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

No virus found in this message.

Bill Welch

Sunshine never offered MDT reefers w/Despatch ends. Even bigger gap is MDT's wood sheathed reefer w/wood sheathed ends but I sound like a broken record by now on this subject.

Bill Welch

Ted Culotta

Garth,

I think that the MDT cars are in the works elsewhere. The 10k Type 7 or 11 seems like a good idea. That's one that bears a closer look...

--
Ted Culotta
Speedwitch Media

riverman_vt@...

    Can't help but agree with Armand on this but would also like to see at least
separate ends on cast resin reefers. When I think of resin reefers the first thing
that comes to mind is the Santa Fe Rr-11 that I believe Frank Hodina built the
masters for Martin Lofton to cast. Where resin kits are concerned that kit was
to me one of the best designed kits I have ever seen and certainly the best
reefer kit I ever run across. Building it was a pure joy so I have no problem
with well designed and cast resin reefer kits with separate sides or at the very
least, separate ends from the same feelings that Garth shared.

Cordially, Don Valentine