Topics

Early 20th Century image

Schuyler Larrabee

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-01-17-16/B0144.jpg

The building under construction is the DL&W Scranton station, but the interesting thing for this list is the freight equipment in the foreground, including an early tank car marked “The Texas Company.”

Schuyler

Eric Hansmann

The ice cars are also interesting. They have reefer doors but no roof hatches. DL&W 5902 seems to have some paper wedged in the upper left door corner to make better seal. There are small stencils in the upper left corners of the ice cars indicating the original owners. And note the Fox trucks and the return route stencils.

Check out the laborers unloading a gondola beside the new depot.

These photos have so many cool details!

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jan 17, 2016, at 4:11 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-01-17-16/B0144.jpg

The building under construction is the DL&W Scranton station, but the interesting thing for this list is the freight equipment in the foreground, including an early tank car marked “The Texas Company.”

Schuyler

Todd Sullivan

I just noticed the track that the gondolas are on - the one next to the new depot.  Wow, talk about 'green' track!  It reminds me of a temporary logging railroad spur.  No tie plates, shored up with timbers, lumpy and bumpy.

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY

The ice cars are also interesting. They have reefer doors but no roof hatches. DL&W 5902 seems to have some paper wedged in the upper left door corner to make better seal. There are small stencils in the upper left corners of the ice cars indicating the original owners. And note the Fox trucks and the return route stencils.

Check out the laborers unloading a gondola beside the new depot.

These photos have so many cool details!

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jan 17, 2016, at 4:11 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The building under construction is the DL&W Scranton station, but the interesting thing for this list is the freight equipment in the foreground, including an early tank car marked “The Texas Company.”

Schuyler

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <eric@...> wrote :

These photos have so many cool details!
================

I'll say. I was wondering what that thing that looks like a barber's chair is on the right end of the fourth floor deck... Then it dawned on me, it's a rivet forge, for heating rivets.

Dennis Storzek

Eric Hansmann

Right! I suspect it is temporary for the construction project.

Note the gondola with the workers is a good bit shorter than the others.

And this photo pre-dates the installation of the post-1911 safety applications; missing grabs, ladders, and sill steps that are typical of a later era.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jan 17, 2016, at 7:34 PM, destorzek@mchsi.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I'll say. I was wondering what that thing that looks like a barber's chair is on the right end of the fourth floor deck... Then it dawned on me, it's a rivet forge, for heating rivets.

Dennis Storzek
=============

What!?!

That's not a hot lather dispenser?

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Tony Thompson

The ice cars are also interesting. They have reefer doors but no roof hatches. DL&W 5902 seems to have some paper wedged in the upper left door corner to make better seal. There are small stencils in the upper left corners of the ice cars indicating the original owners. And note the Fox trucks and the return route stencils.

    In the late 19th and early 20th century, there was a car type called "ice and beer" cars. These were basically insulated box cars, used to ship those two commodities. Several treatises touching on that era have shown these cars, including the PFE book's chapter on the period before PFE.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

John

Two things that caught my eye are the trucks under ice car 4714 which appear to be Fox with an extra tie bar running between the journal boxes and the Texas Co. car, which looks to be an ACF Type 4.

John Bopp
Farmington Hills, MI

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-01-17-16/B0144.jpg

The building under construction is the DL&W Scranton station, but the interesting thing for this list is the freight equipment in the foreground, including an early tank car marked “The Texas Company.”

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Eric, the DL&W had a pretty substantial business shipping ice harvested from ponds.  East of Scranton, the line achieves a pretty high elevation and the winters there are very cold, and in the era of the photo, I am sure they were even colder than today.  Ice cars on the Lackawanna were not uncommon, and since the ice was loaded through the doors, no hatches were required.

I agree about the photos.  There are many photos from Steamtown that are only peripherally related to the railroad, shots of town streets and businesses, and they are ALL interesting and worthy of close examination.  A recent series covered the coal breakers in the Lackawanna Valley, truly enormous wooden structures.

Schuyler

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]

[...]

MDelvec952

The tossing of hot rivets was a big part of the steam era, and one that the public doesn't appreciate today since few things are riveted.

Here's a clip showing Rosie the Riveters doing the task:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqfYHmmhDvg

Referring to other comments on the photo, the Lackawanna had a busy fleet of ice cars. Those initials below the roof line show the division that owned the cars (Morris & Essex and Syracuse, Binghamton & New York in the photos). Yes, those were basically insulated boxcars. The ice cars were brown with white lettering and black in the herald.

That track against the station construction was indeed temporary, and those hopper-bottom cinder gons are probably there to ballast that track, some of which still has timbers supporting many ties. Note the men in the gons coaxing the cinders through the hopper.

               ....Mike Del Vecchio