KCS "DF" Boxcar

StephenK

I came upon a photo in my files  of a model of a 40-foot boxcar with interesting markings.   It is a Kansas City Southern car, with "DF" in a rectangle to the right of the door.  Since this photo was saved from someone's posted photos from a Prototype Modelers' Show somewhere, I do not feel comfortable posting it here, but I am interested in modeling this car.   I have checked the ususal decal sources and cannot find the lettering for this.

I suppose I could piece this together but I would need more info.   Before I go that route I would like to make sure that a decal set doesn't exist.

Does anyone know if these decals are available?

Stephen Kay

Benjamin Hom

"I came upon a photo in my files of a model of a 40-foot boxcar with interesting markings. It is a Kansas City Southern car, with "DF" in a rectangle to the right of the door. Since this photo was saved from someone's posted photos from a Prototype Modelers' Show somewhere, I do not feel comfortable posting it here, but I am interested in modeling this car. I have checked the ususal decal sources and cannot find the lettering for this."

"40 ft boxcar model" is really vague. Any other information - car number, type of boxcar? My Carnac the Magnificent imitation is pretty bad.

Ben Hom

StephenK

Good point.   I should have been more specific.

The car  shown in the photo is a 40' plug door car, painted box car red.   The lettering to the left of the door is minimal.   Reporting marks  "K.C.S." Car Number 1701, and data.    Right of the door, a big rectangle with  DF inside and the word "insulated" beneath, and the data.   The lettering looks like it is white, and all is in Roman Style.

I am lousy at identifying car builders, etc., but this car has a "bowtie" style roof.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if the model is correct!

S Kay

hubert mask

Only offer this car in the 50 version as far as decals

Mask Island Decals .com

Hubert Mask.

On Feb 8, 2016, at 8:55 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

"I came upon a photo in my files of a model of a 40-foot boxcar with interesting markings. It is a Kansas City Southern car, with "DF" in a rectangle to the right of the door. Since this photo was saved from someone's posted photos from a Prototype Modelers' Show somewhere, I do not feel comfortable posting it here, but I am interested in modeling this car. I have checked the ususal decal sources and cannot find the lettering for this."

"40 ft boxcar model" is really vague. Any other information - car number, type of boxcar? My Carnac the Magnificent imitation is pretty bad.

Ben Hom

Ed Hawkins

thekays100@... [STMFC] wrote:

Good point. I should have been more specific.

The car shown in the photo is a 40' plug door car, painted box car red. The lettering to the left of the door is minimal. Reporting marks "K.C.S." Car Number 1701, and data. Right of the door, a big rectangle with DF inside and the word "insulated" beneath, and the data. The lettering looks like it is white, and all is in Roman Style.
I am lousy at identifying car builders, etc., but this car has a "bowtie" style roof.
Of course, I have no way of knowing if the model is correct!
Stephen,
The description helps. The prototype cars were 5 PS-1 insulated box cars, KCS 1700-1704, built ca. 8-60 with 8' door openings & plug doors. Pullman-Standard built about 223 cars of this general type in July-September 1960 for CGW, KCS, Merchants Despatch (NRBX and NYRX reporting marks), and a single car for Trans-Leasing, TLCX 10. The roof and ends were proprietary components made by Pullman-Standard. Given these box cars were insulated, the PS-1 roof was the Z-U eave design as was typical on insulated box cars and reefers.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins